Old 10-24-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Derringer

I have some personal experience with this.

I was sober for about the same time as you are now and was feeling about the same.

Talked to quite a few people and they all reassured me that if I just stayed sober everything would fall into place, not to worry etc. Just stay sober !!

So I did and well ... long story short I just plodded on till about the 2 year mark. By then I was miserable, suicidal, not just irritable but downright rageful. I was in a worse mental state at this point than I had been at the cessation of the drinking 2 years ago ... but apparently, if I just stopped drinking, everything would be okay ..... why wasn't this happening for me ? Why wasn't I improving ? You'd think things would be on the up after 2 years right ?

I went back to the same people and told them this just isn't getting any better , help !! What do I do ? No one had any answers because what I was going through, just wasn't their experience, they just stopped drinking and everything slowly improved. They didn't know any different.

So through painful experience, I now understand that there is a difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic.

It looks the same whilst drinking, the difference emerges when we stop.

Problem drinkers problems go away when they stop drinking.

The alcoholic finds that alcohol is only half the problem.

That's why alcoholics have a program and steps to live by post quitting.

Problem drinkers just stop drinking and get on with it.

​​​​​​There is a ton of help out there for people like us, from people who have been through the same thing.

My advice would be to hurry on and find those people and get the help. ☺️