Notices

Restless, Irritable - How Do You Handle It?

Old 10-30-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
Hi back4good. No, it’s not a “problem”. But most of us on SR (I believe) are here because we need help to stop drinking, and stay stopped – or at least we are trying to stop. Very few guys come here for a chat just before their weekend binge. I, for one, really don’t want to know - not even if, but when - another SR member plans to drink again. Perhaps next time he/she will share whether it will be a Margarita, Gin-tonic, or a great single-malt Scotch? Perhaps an ice-cold beer on a very hot day?
But that's just my opinion - like you have yours. And I, for one, believe I’m on the right Forum.
ok I wont mention drink again.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Exercise helps a lot.

In my opinion, it's even more necessary this year due to all of the stuff happening in the world that is beyond our individual control.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I handle it mostly by trying to prevent it. It's a bit of work to remain reasonably comfortable, calm and content. But for me, it's a whole lot less work and less traumatic than the alternative. Preventative measures include
- keeping a routine (regular sleep & meals)
- taking my medication
- practicing gratitude
- walking
- helping other people, alcoholic or not
- posting here
- keeping my environment comfortable and clean
- striving to apply the 12-step principles in my "real life"

I can't say any one of those things is most important; I really had to develop a "program" that worked for me. But I'm also pretty certain that the care I get for my anxiety and depression is probably equally important to not drinking. If I didn't have those two pieces, all of the rest would not be possible.

The whole thing about "the real alcoholic" can be really off-putting, and some people don't accept the designation for themselves as alcoholic - real or otherwise. No matter. The important thing is that if something is missing, It's important (and rewarding in the extreme) to find that thing. Whatever it is, I'm certain that it doesn't cost a dime and equally convinced that it's already there. I had to do a lot of excavating, work that is "not for the faint of heart," but it was soooo worth it.

Wish I'd known sooner.