Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do the people who just have 1-2 glasses really exist?

Notices

Do the people who just have 1-2 glasses really exist?

Old 05-25-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yeh apparently there are people who are completely neutral to whether they have it or not.. I hate to drink in social settings because I will focus solely on the drinking, while others don't. I've said it before, I poured a glass of wine for my friend at Christmas, I was 4 months sober at the time so I was not drinking, but I still found it remarkable that she tried the wine, thought it was really tasty and then apparently just forgot it was there. She never took another sip and eventually wanted some coffee. As I poured her wine down the sink, I couldn't help but shake my head.. I was jealous I couldn't do this. I now know my jealous feelings were early warning signs of relapse. I went another two months or so before I relapsed.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

There was a period when I drank like this, take it or leave it and mostly leave it. Once I started feeling any kind of buzz, I'd stop drinking, not because I was trying to control it but because I really just didn't want the buzz. This was after my college weekend heavy-binging phase, but many years before alcohol became a real problem for me. My parents drank like this too, when they drank at all, which was extremely rare. We addicts and former addicts have a different perspective, but most of the world doesn't drink like we do/did.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I've been at an all out, free for all, full of alcohol friends and family bbq with my husband and a cooler full of beer. He was halfway through his second beer and said "You know what, just not in for this, I'm switching to water".

I was deer in the headlights, couldn't even comprehend it. Even got a little pissy about it until he said "Dont' worry, I don't want to leave". Then I was a ok. Of course I was, I had double the beer in the cooler now and full intentions on drinking every last drop.

Ugh.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GaryB1 View Post
I don't know of anyone who just has one or two drinks at a time. Then again, Im from England.
I wouldn't want to have one or two, it did nothing for me, from the off I drank because I liked feeling drunk. The taste was awful until the alcohol numbed your mouth, so I couldn't see the point in drinking it if you were not even going to get a buzz out of it, may as well drink pop, it tastes better! Plus, one or two just made me feel rotten and tired about an hour later
And I have found, it hasn't been the drink that has been hard to give up, it was the buzz that was hard to give up in the very beginning.
Now, it would horrify me to be back in that state of no control, so I don't ever want the buzz again either!
Exactly.

This thread has made me realise in the UK we are definitely affected worse than others by the culture.
People have argued it's not the case in other threads but through my own experience travelling and reading in here, it definitely is.

In Glasgow we start drinkin in the park age 12. After a few months that's up to a half bottle of vodka each every Friday, every weekend until well who knows?
Staying off the drink at the weekend is an absolute nightmare here as you see it as a treat after working all week. So you go out on Friday and get absolutely smashed and get home at 6am-3pm... on Sunday, then back to work Monday.

If we goto a football match it's 2/3 pints before the game, sneak in 1/2 bottle of vodka (50cl/500ml) drink that for half time (45 mins) then straight to the pub after it for another 5/6 pints then to someone's house win a few cases of beer and bottles of vodka.
The sale of alcohol is banned inside the ground as everyone would be wasted.

You're a '*****' if you don't drink apparently.

No wonder the west of Scotland has the worst rate of coronary heart disease and Glasgow the murder capital of Europe.

In the U.K. the majority drink to get drunk and as the above poster said, if you're not getting drunk what's the point? Soft drinks taste better!