Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do the people who just have 1-2 glasses really exist?

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I never understood the drink 1 or 2 and stop people. I mean, why would someone drink for only 10 minutes?
Most people don't understand alcoholism/addiction either. Why would someone keep drinking until they ruined their health, life, and family?

I think the most important lesson in this whole discussion is acceptance. It's impossible to explain why some people are addicts and some are not, but it is possible to accept our addiction for what it is and live with it. And it's also possible to co-exist with people who are not addicts.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My wife pours ((one glass)) of wine for herself each evening after work.
When I do the dishes the next morning I usually pour out 1/4 of her glass.
I don't understand it but, I'm a drunk.

M-Bob
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

does it matter?
Well, yes and no. It doesn't matter when it comes to my own sobriety, that definitely doesn't have anything to do with how much others drink or don't drink.

Yes in the way that when I read that article I thought that I don't know a single person amongst my family and friends that drinks that way. They are either complete nondrinkers or drink 2-3 glasses every night plus maybe more on the weekends (which is already too much according to the article that says our health system recommends to have at least 2 alcohol free days per week) or they only drink when they go out to party or when there's special occasions like weddings but then they will have several glasses. Not until they black out but until they're visibly drunk.

So I thought this guideline seemed to not make much sense. They could just as well say "don't drink at all".

Cause there would never be a guideline saying smoking 1-2 cigarettes per day is okay but no more than that please. No one would ever do that right? Either you're a smoker and you smoke more or you don't smoke at all.

Also from my own experience I can (or could at least) only have 1 with dinner once a week but I absolutely hated it. When I drank that rarely I couldn't handle the strong taste and I didn't like how alcohol made me feel totally ****, confused and tired a couple hours after I drank 1 glass. It wasn't that I was craving more either. It was just not enjoyable in any way.

So if I wanted to be able to enjoy drinking I'd have to do it regularly, drinking 2-3 glasses at least every other night but then I always had problems keeping it at that level (which was already too much according to the guidelines anyway). I quickly felt like I needed a drink in the mornings and that's how it always went with my drinking. Either I didn't drink or I drank too much too regularly.

But my question wasn't to compare my drinking or understand "normal" drinkers drinking. It was pure curiosity cause I never see any of them.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I married one and put a daughter in her that seems to be another. They will open a bottle of wine, each have a glass, then put it away for another day. I still furrow my brow and shake my head when I see this. It makes no sense to me.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Absolutely, my wife may drink 5 times a year. When she does she may have 3 and that's a max. She never understood why I used to drink they was I did.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There were many times that I would have one beer, sometimes two, at a pub or at someone's house. Then I would be home a few hours later and have my usual pint of bourbon and a few more beers.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
I had a drinking thought tonight before going to bed "wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine before going to bed?"

When I was visualising that thought one glass seems very, very little to me.

I am a tiny person myself so I guess it must seem even less to standard sized people.

Today I read in an article that the average weighed woman should not drink more than 1 glass per day and have 2 alcohol free days per week. That makes 5 glasses as a maximum for a whole week. Probably less for me because of my small size.

Now when I compare to my friends or people i see in bars and restaurants or just outside (drinking out on the street is allowed where I live) they all seem to either

- not drink at all or
- drink 2-3 glasses at least

I never come across people who just have 1 glass (or 2 like it is the recommended limit for men).

So where are they? Do they even exist?

I know it doesn't make a difference for me personally, I'm just curious because it seems pretty weird to me.

Yes, they exist. My wife is one such drinker. So are a lot of my co-workers. I've rarely seen any of them get out of control at work-related functions.

One of the first things I realized in sobriety is that most people can and do drink responsibly.

But then I never really noticed how much others drank back in the day because I was to busy getting loaded.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think the reality is that most of humanity can drink in moderation, a drink with friends or with dinner.
The problem is you(we) see it through the lens of an alcoholic's brain, where drink is not a social pleasure, it's a need, or to put it more bluntly an addiction. So the notion that anyone can, or would even want to drink like that just doesn't compute to us; whats the point of one drink when you can drink the whole bottle, tends to be what our neurons tell us.

Thats the sad truth for us, that we're not like them, and I'm past the idea that I can cure myself to be like them.

Makes me sad and jealous all at the same time.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My mom is like that. Atspecial occations she will have one or maybe 2 at most, glasses of wine with a good dinner, but nothing more. But I know what you mean.
The majority of people I know who drink - even the ones who never had serious problems with alcoholism, will drink more, and I often heard people jokingly say that there is no such thing as one beer - either you stay sober that day, or you drink more beers - not necessarily to get wasted and black out like I did, but most people I know will drink a handful of beers or glasses of wine, if they do drink.
Before I quit drinking when I visited my parents they would some times open a bottle of wine for a saturday dinner, and usually a bottle would last for 2 glasses of wine to each of us, and I hated it becuase I would definately have a strong urge to drink more, and if I happened to have some alcohol with me I would drink it after dinner.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I've heard there's folks who leave half a glass of wine or beer (or whatever) because they've 'had enough'.

I am not one of them or I wouldn't be here.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If it was one of the 1 or 2 out of 10 times when I did have a beer or two, and somebody asked me if I drank that day, I would have said, "No". Not because I would have been hiding my drinking, but because I never considered 1 or 2 drinks to be drinking. That's my irrational brain for you.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

They do exist. My husband will pour one glass and then waste half of his second glass because he's just done.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not only could I not be a 1-2 person, I had to fight like hell to not chug the first few drinks. When I see a glass of red wine on the table (for someone else), I sometimes chuckle to myself as I watch them sip. I think, "If that were mine, I would throw that sonovabitch back in one ferocious gulp".
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
I am one of those people that have one glass a month and just fine with that. I like the taste but can't stand getting buzzed.
Wait a minute. What? Then what are you doing on a recovery site if you can have one glass a month and then leave it alone?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

For myself as soon as it enters my system I'm fired up and ready to go go go!

My bf can just have a few and leave it alone, used to drive me nuts when he would say to me that I should do the same. One or two would leave me in a state of agitation.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Wait a minute. What? Then what are you doing on a recovery site if you can have one glass a month and then leave it alone?
There aren't exclusively addicts in these forums but also their partners, friends and family. I know this isn't posted in the friends and family section but in alcoholism but since this question isn't exclusively directed at alcoholis, I think it's more than okay for non alcoholics to answer.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

IMHO, most people who drink do so within reason. I've never thought about alcohol as being an evil or dangerous substance...just the misuse of it. I've also experience cultures where having a few drinks every single day for 90+% of the population, is quite normal and considered healthy; France, Italy, Spain, etc.

I sadly, am not among them. Though it's exact origins are not entirely known, I am an alcoholic and will be to the day I die. For the small percentage of us who are, using alcohol is a life or death issue. It's like people who can die from eating a single nut. For most people, it's a delicious and beneficial treat. For a small number, it is fatal. I'm an alcoholic-nut-type person. Can't even touch the stuff. My two pennies...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Apologies I think I came across as snarkier than I intended. Of course not everyone on here is an alkie like me!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My parents drank, but in extreme moderation. Dad would have a half pint of beer now and again, mum would have a glass of brandy or similar at Christmas - and sometimes to 'settle her stomach' ( never understood that one, it does the opposite to me )
I doubt they got through the recommended weekly maximum in a whole year....
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I was a 1 or 2 type of drinker.

1 or 2 pints... of whiskey...