Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do the people who just have 1-2 glasses really exist?

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a drinking thought tonight before going to bed "wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine before going to bed?"

When I was visualising that thought one glass seems very, very little to me.

I am a tiny person myself so I guess it must seem even less to standard sized people.

Today I read in an article that the average weighed woman should not drink more than 1 glass per day and have 2 alcohol free days per week. That makes 5 glasses as a maximum for a whole week. Probably less for me because of my small size.

Now when I compare to my friends or people i see in bars and restaurants or just outside (drinking out on the street is allowed where I live) they all seem to either

- not drink at all or
- drink 2-3 glasses at least

I never come across people who just have 1 glass (or 2 like it is the recommended limit for men).

So where are they? Do they even exist?

I know it doesn't make a difference for me personally, I'm just curious because it seems pretty weird to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know quite a few people who do just that, kev, - have 1 glass of wine with dinner and maybe as infrequently as once a week.

That certainly wasn't me.

My husband can drink a beer or two and have no desire for another.

I am not one of those people.

In all honesty, though, it no longer bothers me that I can't drink. Sober life is very satisfying
Old 05-17-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, they exist. My dad is one of them. Has two glasses of wine each night with dinner. That's it. No more.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am jealous of anyone who could just drink one beer or any other drink and not drink everyday.

I drank to get drunk - that was always the goal. Sure, I claimed I drank to be social, to celebrate, etc. etc. but it was all a scam to get drunk. It was my goal everyday for over 27 years.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Actually, the majority of people can and do, do that. Alcoholism seems to be everywhere when we are one, but in reality, less than 10% of people are alcoholics.

In my opinion, it's kind of like a particular kind of car. You never see that many of them until you buy one, then you see them everywhere.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The majority of my friends are either like that or do not drink at all Kev.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My parents would have their Friday night cocktails - 2 each - and that was it. It used to drive me crazy when I was older - like, how can they not just keep going? I've never once been able to hold it down to 1-2.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep...we are the minority in that respect. I used to get jealous of "those people" as well, but I've learned accept it over time.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am one of those people that have one glass a month and just fine with that. I like the taste but can't stand getting buzzed.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The "normal" drinker is one of the most baffling things to us alcoholics.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Maybe they're all at the unicorn races!

I know what you mean though. I haven't known any either, people who will drink 1 beer watching a football game for instance. Even my squaresville friends would have 3 or 4 if they drank at all.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I never understood the drink 1 or 2 and stop people. I mean, why would someone drink for only 10 minutes?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
I had a drinking thought tonight before going to bed "wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine before going to bed?"

When I was visualising that thought one glass seems very, very little to me.

I am a tiny person myself so I guess it must seem even less to standard sized people.

Today I read in an article that the average weighed woman should not drink more than 1 glass per day and have 2 alcohol free days per week. That makes 5 glasses as a maximum for a whole week. Probably less for me because of my small size.

Now when I compare to my friends or people i see in bars and restaurants or just outside (drinking out on the street is allowed where I live) they all seem to either

- not drink at all or
- drink 2-3 glasses at least

I never come across people who just have 1 glass (or 2 like it is the recommended limit for men).

So where are they? Do they even exist?

I know it doesn't make a difference for me personally, I'm just curious because it seems pretty weird to me.
They exist. Actually are pretty common. I work in a restaurant and see the gamut of drinking behavior. Plenty of people have one drink and for whatever reason, that's plenty, or they only have half of it or otherwise leave it unattended.

They are just as real as - if a bigger percentage of the population than- us!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

does it matter?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't know of anyone who just has one or two drinks at a time. Then again, Im from England.
I wouldn't want to have one or two, it did nothing for me, from the off I drank because I liked feeling drunk. The taste was awful until the alcohol numbed your mouth, so I couldn't see the point in drinking it if you were not even going to get a buzz out of it, may as well drink pop, it tastes better! Plus, one or two just made me feel rotten and tired about an hour later
And I have found, it hasn't been the drink that has been hard to give up, it was the buzz that was hard to give up in the very beginning.
Now, it would horrify me to be back in that state of no control, so I don't ever want the buzz again either!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Oh yeah, they exist all right. I only know that I wasn't one of them. I drank to get drunk, so pretty much anything less than a 12 pack of beer seemed a waste of time to me. Now, I don't concern myself with any of it....got much better things to do with my time.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Haha I love the title of this post!! They do indeed exist, and I share the sentiments of several of these posts. I know lots of people who have 1 or 2 and are done and don't feel any desire for more. But frankly I know more who, as I did, drink to get drunk. Not just tipsy, but crazy blacking out drunk. I got to the point where even ordering drinks one by one made me impatient - like just give me the whole bottle already!!!

Sounds crazy now, because it was. A very dangerous and unhealthy gamble with my life and frequently the lives of others. I kind of marvel at people for whom drinking is not a big deal. They're out there!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, it's not as if I wanted to drink and stop before I got drunk (or "relaxed" as I preferred to call it). I just wanted to get drunk without the many and varied repercussions. Which was a bit like wanting to take a bath without getting wet!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

lol i have this debate with my wife at times. shes the type that can crack open a bottle of wine drink half a glass and then forget all about the rest of the wine for months on end. Or she can go out with friends have a drink or 2 and come home. I get down right angry when she tells me this sorta thing. i'm liek what the heck is wrong with you 1 or 2? are you insane? that woudl drive me BONKERS only 1 or 2 WHO THE HECK DRINKS THAT WAY!!@*!*(@##*@ or leaving an open bottle of wine in the fridge forever. WHY OH WHY are you nuts thats not even a full nights worth fo wine.

just one or 2 drinks? thats just enough to tick me right the heck off.

I cant even begin to understand how anyone can drink like that.

me it was always mission to get as intoxicated as possible and even test fate regularly. It was uncontrollable too why i cant understand how anyone could drink any less.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

on a side note i've read stories too of people having have just 1 or 2 martinis a day ending up with withdrawels and even DT's it doesnt take much to get dependant either.