Notices

Gut Health in recovery?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Gut Health in recovery?

I'm posting this here in this forum as I think I will get a broader range of opinions on the matter. We all know how heavy drinking will tear a body apart from the inside out... but what about gut bacteria? Is there anyway to straighten this out? Seems like I am still having some issues with odd food intolerance's, it was even suggested I try a probiotic on top of the other supplements I take.

I am convinced I destroyed my guy health with the volume of liquor I've consumed over the years. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I did some research on gut health stomach bacteria its role in serotonin production and depression and our over all good health and well being. along with keeping our digesting proper and so on. In the end iw as blown away by how importaint good gut health is i had no idea. a healthy gut is as important as a healthy mind and vice versa i think they both need each other to be healthy.

that being said i think a probiotic is good but ask your doc if you want more info.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've totally over-hauled my diet and that seems to have helped. I take a lot of supplements to help heal my body but the not drinking and the food has helped a lot.
I recently relapsed but continued to eat and take the vitamins throughout and it does feel like I'm recovering physically better than I did last time.
I don't know if you enjoy cooking but I cook everything fresh. I don't have any processed fast-foods but if I'm having a craving I definitely have boiled sweets!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The probiotic, some extra fiber either in food or supplement form, lots o water, go easy on the coffee, and walk in the morning to get things moving. Sluggish bowels mean you hold on to unhealthy bacteria and they multiply and your body tries to get rid of it. Make sure you're not getting too much protein or eating a lot of dairy, that causes digestive issues for almost everyone. And processed foods do too.

Sorry, it's being in nursing school..
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As usual, i'd suggest seeing a doctor if you have medical concerns Steve. Gastronintestnial issues can certainly be brought on by drinking, but they can also be completely unrelated. It might also be completely unrelated to your gut bacteria. Have you had a full checkup since you quit drinking?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am almost 5 months sober and many of my stomach issues have gone away.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, here's a bit more info so you all know where I am coming from: Back when I drank, I "discovered" I have a reaction to wheat products (and I was a bourbon drinker!!). Soon I added dairy and so on. Since I quit, I was hoping that it was a result of being a heavy drinker that finally caught up with me, and I would be able to eat normal again.

Hence the main reason for my question. And maybe since I am sober, I should see a doctor for once.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
And maybe since I am sober, I should see a doctor for once.
I think that would be a good idea. Not that lots of people here don't have experience, and I certainly had my share of GI issues related to my drinking. But you are really kind of stabbing in the dark here...you should definitely set a baseline by seeing a doc and finding out what the actual cause may be.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am taking probiotics twice a day as well as coconut oil doses throughout the day. Gut health is EXTREMELY important in recovery/depression.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
I am taking probiotics twice a day as well as coconut oil doses throughout the day. Gut health is EXTREMELY important in recovery/depression.
I had no idea! I'm just reading about it now..... interesting. God knows my diet could use an overhaul and my organs some TLC after the years of abuse I've put them through. I've been eating way too much sugar lately and I think it's making me feel worse..... sugar hangovers lol

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 03-20-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: private blog link
Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I knew coconut oil can solve a lot of problems, but that is new to me as well. I am, however, a huge fan of apple cider vinegar, specifically Braggs. I drink it in my water twice a day!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

Brags was a godsend for anxiety early on I'd drink a little with water twitch and the anxiety would ease up.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Brags was a godsend for anxiety early on I'd drink a little with water twitch and the anxiety would ease up.
Really?? We sell the stuff at work and I never heard that one. You learn something every day...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drink Braggs daily too. It's full of electrolytes and also helps combat yeast. There are recipes online for coconut oil fudge or I just use straight coconut oil.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to drink the stuff when I drank... to ease up a hangover! Now I drink it to help with heartburn, and the above mentioned electrolytes.

Related, I just seen an advertisement for a company selling pickle juice as a performance supplement. Trail Runner magazine maybe??
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
I just use straight coconut oil.
Like spoon it in your mouth? This I gotta try....
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, I just started with a teaspoon 3-4 times a day. If you take too much it can upset your stomach from yeast die off. It also gives you energy so I don't take it at night. You can also dissolve it in tea or coffee if you dont like the taste of it. I cook with it a lot too. Hide it in rice, scramble eggs with it, stir fry's, anything really. The kids don't like the taste of it, but I'll stir it in their oatmeal so it dissolves and they don't even notice. Lol. My son suffers from allergies, which can be gut based and yeast related. I'm always hiding it in his food. Lol. Throw it in smoothies too.
Coconut oil contains caprylic acid which is a powerful yeast fighter. It fights yeast differently than a probiotic, which I take as well.

I guzzled vodka for a long time so I KNOW I have yeast issues.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with zjw, if you are really seriously interested in gut health, do some research. Its absolutely amazing and I was shocked how important it is to our overall health. The bacteria, enzymes, acids etc...all work together to play a vital role in our health.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, great replies. I've been cooking with coconut oil for a little while now, as I loosely follow a paleo-style way of eating. We always have a damaged case at work.... think I may try this tomorrow!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I eat yogurt every day and it really seems to help my gut.