Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How many people do you know who have never drank or done drugs?

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are many of those people out there who I crossed paths with (or rather, most likely never had the chance to cross paths with due to lifestyle differences) who have never drank alcohol or done drugs. It was just a curious thought to me this beautiful, sunny, clear headed, non-drunk, non-hungover, no plans to drink later today morning. I was wondering the breakdown of people I know, family, acquantances, co-workers etc. The normal drinkers (whether they drink once or twice a year or one drink a week etc), the heavy drinkers, the ones like me who are alcoholics (be they active or working on recovery), and the ones who never drank or did drugs. I only know one person and their husband who have never done either. That was all I could come up with for that group. I started to wonder if I will run across more now that I am in recovery. My boyfriend doesn't like drinking, he did drink when he was younger, but just doesn't like it. I have seen him drink maybe 3 times in 9 years together. His DOC was opoids and benzos, and he has been clean from those for years. It doesn't really matter in the long run I know, but it follows along the lines of the "cultural prevalence" of alcohol and drugs.

Last edited by LuckyBamboo; 07-08-2016 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

only one i ever new i did witness take a sip once just to appease the others at the table the person quickly was like oh yuk and refused to do it again.

even tho i'm an alcholic i honestly thought it all tasted like trash myself too. But it was an aquired taste for me and i do sometimes wonder if i had to drink again now if i'd go OMFG YUCK but i'm not willing to find out.

I really have no idea whats enjoyable about the taste of any of it. its gross. But i guess even cigarettes cane smell like crap to me or smell divine to me at times even so I dunno.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuckyBamboo View Post
I'm sure there are many of those people out there who I crossed paths with (or rather, most likely never had the chance to cross paths with due to lifestyle differences) who have never drank alcohol or done drugs. It was just a curious thought to me this beautiful, sunny, clear headed, non-drunk, non-hungover, no plans to drink later today morning. I was wondering the breakdown of people I know, family, acquantances, co-workers etc. The normal drinkers (whether they drink once or twice a year or one drink a week etc), the heavy drinkers, the ones like me who are alcoholics (be they active or working on recovery), and the ones who never drank or did drugs. I only know one person and their husband who have never done either. That was all I could come up with for that group. I started to wonder if I will run across more now that I am in recovery. My boyfriend doesn't like drinking, he did drink when he was younger, but just doesn't like it. I have seen him drink maybe 3 times in 9 years together. His DOC was opoids and benzos, and he has been clean from those for years. It doesn't really matter in the long run I know, but it follows along the lines of the "cultural prevalence" of alcohol and drugs.
My wife has never done drugs and rarely drinks.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have several acquaintances that do not use drugs or alcohol because of cultural or religions beliefs/backgrounds.

Having said that, what other people do in regards to their alcohol/drug is really not my business to ask. There are statistics out there on drug use if you really need to know ( easily found on google ) but quite honestly I don't think it matters one way or the other. MY alcohol use was not responsible or sustainable so I chose to quit - that's the only stat that really matters to me ;-)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My grandparents. I think my Grandfather did in his younger days, but quit early. I am 99% sure my Grandmother either never did, or it was in such limited occasion/amount that it's the same thing. My parents were always very respectful of the act of drinking around them; save my mother's alcoholism where they certainly witnessed the effects, but doubtful the actual act of drinking, once her drinking took on its alcoholic proportions.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I grew up in a very Pentecostal home. I know many people who have never tried drugs or alcohol. They just did not end up being the people in my life. However, some of these people were the ones showing up at the hospital when I OD'd and are in contact with me now. Not a lot of my drinking buddies though. Go figure.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Despite widespread consumption, most people in the world actually do not drink. Almost half of all men and two-thirds of women did not consume alcohol, according to the latest information made available in the 2011 WHO report on alcohol use.
WHO | Global status report on alcohol and health 2014

So that makes 3.7 billion, give or take, who do not drink. Out of that number, there oughta be plenty, PLENTY I tell you, who never have.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My two great grandchildren have never drank or did drugs , mind you they are only 3 yrs and 1 year old (grin )
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seriously I have over the years met lots of people that never drank , smoked or did drugs mind you I am 70 yrs old , years ago until maybe the mid 60 s women were not allowed in Bars /Taverns there were no lounges either which meant if you and your girlfriend /wife wanted a drink on the weekend there was no bars that provided that facility . Which I suppose leads me to the ones I have known that never drank/drugged/even smoked who were mostly women , aunts about 3 , church goers quite a few , basically drugs etc prescription tablets were unheard of , but it may have been available undercover/secret .

I n those days it was fashionable for men to drink who took over from their fathers and so on , so it became a tradition , I have years ago worked with two or three guys never never indulged or smoked . so today its the done thing to do and acceptable and fashionable and in some areas cocaine is recreational .
Have met one or two that do not indulge in either possibly through family bad experiences . Today it is really no concern to me , I am happy to know I am an alcoholic and do not care who drinks or doesn't it is no concern of mine , even if they brought out a ''cure '' I wouldn't be interested as Alcoholics Anonymous have gave me a wonderful life through my application of the 12 Steps of recovery .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know some people who did not drink due to their religion or upbringing, but not many.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I honestly can't think of any adult that I know that has never drank alcohol atleast once. I know many people that have not done drugs.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My college roommate did not use drugs and on occasion would have one drink when we went out. She was very religious and told me "if I have more than a couple drinks I feel like I am betraying God." She once had to pick my head up out of a bowl of macaroni and cheese so I didn't aspirate on it (xanax and booze...3 am mac and cheese seemed like a good idea....totally passed out in the bowl). I remember thinking what a stick in the mud she was. I just hit a year sober after a year of detoxes and spin -dries and rehabs. Oh and a 21 day stint in a locked psych unit. She, on the other hand, is a partner at a major consulting firm and is married with 2 babies. Beginning to think she had the right idea....

Also I had another friend who's father was a bad alcoholic. She would hang out with all of us but never touched alcohol or drugs. We used to do shots of vodka chased with OJ my freshman year in college and she would hang with us but just do shots of pure OJ. I remember once she drank about a carton of OJ and had the sugar shakes, sweating and nauseous. But never, ever touched alcohol.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

zero none nope from the time I was little on 1950-2016.. even my Mormon friends have sampled.. the Amish families of my region elders and youngers.. sampled... if someone said they have never . lies..
Old 07-08-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Most people I know have not done drugs and most (95%) are light drinkers. I know one person who has never had a drink and she is quite religious.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
My uncle has never done a drug nor had a drop of alcohol in his life. He's the only person I know personally who *never* has, but then again there may be others where this is true and the topic just never came up.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

None.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a 49 year old brother one sip of beer and one sip of champagne, that is it
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can't think of anyone. I doubt there are many people who have NEVER had a sip of alcohol.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
sober style

My mom hasn't. She's not at all religious either, just a little eccentric. She'll turn 80 in August, go Mom! My dad had some beer in the service in the 50s but nothing since then. He turns 83 in a week!

I remember as a kid telling my dad that a friend's family owned a liquor store, and he told me, "That's an industry built on human misery."
Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My brother very rarely drinks and has never done drugs, And my sister had hepatitis so alcohol makes her feel sick, and she drinks very rarely but might get tipsy when she does. My other brother is also an alcoholic.