Notices

How to tell if I'll get DTs

Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to tell if I'll get DTs

So, I want to quit drinking, but I do not want to go to the hospital. I have extreme agoraphobia which makes it so I cannot leave my house. I just want to know how I can predict if I'm going to have severe withdrawals, and what I can do to prevent them. I have a lot of clonazepam on hand.

Basically, I've been drinking a liter of rum for the last year or so every day essentially. Before that, I would drink at least 4 times a week, same amount for like 3 years. Before that, I would drink every weekend since I was like 14 (I'm 26.)

I'm wondering that if I can stay sober for a week, am I pretty much out of the withdrawal phase of things for immediate danger on my life? If I start to experience heavy withdrawal, should I drink alcohol to ward off the withdrawal? What are some of the signs that I'm having heavy withdrawal? I'm not very shaky, but I find that at night while I try to sleep, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night completely drenched in sweat. I feel moderate anxiety during the day.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Delirium tremens have fascinated me ever since I started going into severe withdrawal on a daily basis. Not fun at all. I went to the hospital for detox and the ER doctor was worried things would get real bad for me, so I was admitted. For reference, they did a tox screen when I showed up in the morning, and I was withdrawing hard with a BAC of .13. Basically, my body needed a lot of booze to stave off withdrawal. I was at the point where I physically couldn't ingest enough because I would immediately throw up every time I tried to take a drink to 'feel better'. I never got the DT's.

I live in an area surrounded by reservations and alcohol abuse is unfortunately a big problem. None of my nurses had ever had a patient get actual DTs. It's pretty rare as I understand it; and they typically set in after a couple days into detox. That said, you should definitely see your doctor and/or go to the hospital if and when you quit. DTs, or not, it can still be very dangerous to suddenly stop drinking. A liter of rum a day is a lot. Fortunately, you've got youth on your side.

A quick online search should give you plenty of info associated with typical withdrawal symptoms. Please see your doctor or go to the hospital, regardless of whether you want to or not. They should be able to provide you with information/resources on how to stay clean after you detox. That's the hard part. Be safe and I wish you the best.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Threadstarter - go see a doctor man. They're trained and qualified for this stuff. We're not.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 06-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I'm not a doctor but my understanding is everyone is different and there is no way to say if you'll get DT's or not. There are other issues too with detoxing such as very high blood pressure. If you detox on your own I'd make sure someone is with you just in case. You might have to go to ER if things get bad.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's no way we can predict the severity of anyone's withdrawals, and doing so would be considered medical advice which is against forum policy. I'd strongly suggest you consult with a doctor, especially regarding the benzos. If you cannot get there on your own ask a friend or family member for help.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are missing the point where I've described that I'm housebound. I can't go see a doctor, so I need to get over this somehow on my own. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on how to do it as safely as possible.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a tough issue and dangerous to give advice. I do understand. I'm assuming someone brings you your alcohol. Can they stay with you and help you if you get into trouble?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you obtaining your liquor?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes somebody brings it. And they can stay with me for sure.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We simply cannot give you home detox advice here TTT, you are asking for something only a medical professional can provide. Whomever brings your alcohol could assist you in getting to the clinic or an AA meeting, or you could even call 911 if you are truly in distress.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

TT I suffer with agrophobia and I was also drinking a litre of spirits every day I relate to what your saying but even though I wanted no one to see me and it felt like I couldn't breathe being outside I had someone more than one helping me at the hospital it's the safest place for a detox and it probably saved my life

Your idea is so dangerous that it can be fatal everyone is different & ppl do die of DTs I've seen it & it's soul shattering to see someone trying to do the right thing the wrong way & die because of it

Don't agrophobia or not take that risk I've lost a lot of people & it just ain't worth it the hospital will help and gives your recovery a better chance to prosper by keeping you alive during WD
Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Research as much as you can about tapering, its not a popular method on this forum but I have successfully tapered. It requires extreme discipline and you will still experience bouts of being uncomfortable. I wish you the best.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

Alcohol withdrawal can kill you it's pretty serious. That being said I was not about to admit my problem was severe enough to merit detox or medical intervention but I also wanted to be safe so I tapered and was ready to call 911 if I had to. That might not be the best approach but it's what I did. I think it I had to do it again knowing what I know now I'd really like to go to rehab or aa right off the bat that could have saved me some trouble.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As of now, I've decided that I'm not entirely ready to quit. I'm just preparing myself, because I know that I am eventually going to have to quit, probably sooner than later. I'd like to thank everybody for replying to this thread and sharing their stories with me.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't be a stranger and know were here whenever your ready

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I know of two people who just passed due to withdrawals. Please seek medical help!!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There really is no way to tell, but luckily they are quite rare, and I wouldn't outweigh the slight possibility as an excuse to keep drinking. If you have someone that can stay with you, that is great just to make sure. Also if not, have a phone near by at all times just in case.