View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zeebs

Delirium tremens have fascinated me ever since I started going into severe withdrawal on a daily basis. Not fun at all. I went to the hospital for detox and the ER doctor was worried things would get real bad for me, so I was admitted. For reference, they did a tox screen when I showed up in the morning, and I was withdrawing hard with a BAC of .13. Basically, my body needed a lot of booze to stave off withdrawal. I was at the point where I physically couldn't ingest enough because I would immediately throw up every time I tried to take a drink to 'feel better'. I never got the DT's.

I live in an area surrounded by reservations and alcohol abuse is unfortunately a big problem. None of my nurses had ever had a patient get actual DTs. It's pretty rare as I understand it; and they typically set in after a couple days into detox. That said, you should definitely see your doctor and/or go to the hospital if and when you quit. DTs, or not, it can still be very dangerous to suddenly stop drinking. A liter of rum a day is a lot. Fortunately, you've got youth on your side.

A quick online search should give you plenty of info associated with typical withdrawal symptoms. Please see your doctor or go to the hospital, regardless of whether you want to or not. They should be able to provide you with information/resources on how to stay clean after you detox. That's the hard part. Be safe and I wish you the best.