Notices

The diabolical -- box wine

Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The diabolical -- box wine

Switching to boxes of wine was a turning point of sorts for me. It is so much easier to hide the evidence with these things. No clanking bottles to remove from the house. One gets empty, don't forget to tip it for the last drops, then take the bladder out, squeeze out more . Break down the cardboard and stack it between more cardboard for the recycling. What a ritual. What insanity. I'm glad I can't see how many of these I consumed over the past few years.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so great to leave all those awful habits behind. Well done for making a change.
xx
Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just glad I no longer drink any kind of wine.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know it's scary to think how much I drank and to see all the empties in one place. I'm sure I'd be mortified.
I had rituals, too-change dumpsters and try and quietly sneak out with empties.
I'm glad those days have passed and I hope the do for you, too.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

Oh man. It's kind of horrifying to think of the amount of waste that just me and my habit created. Probably more than a storage locker's worth. Actually probably much more than that. Sorry earth. Sorry organs! So glad it's done with.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was unemployed for 2 months in 2013 and I switched to the cheapest, nastiest wine imaginable to save money. I had to water it down before I could even drink it.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Ahh yes. Cardboardeaux. All gone and good riddance too.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad I no longer have to deal with that situation Glad you don't have to either!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Switching to boxes of wine was a turning point of sorts for me. It is so much easier to hide the evidence with these things. No clanking bottles to remove from the house. One gets empty, don't forget to tip it for the last drops, then take the bladder out, squeeze out more . Break down the cardboard and stack it between more cardboard for the recycling. What a ritual. What insanity. I'm glad I can't see how many of these I consumed over the past few years.
Totally know what you mean Lonelywombat. I work from home quite a lot, but also spend chunks of time away on projects, so it wouldn't have been odd for me to have 2, 3 or even a months worth of bottles, cans empty stacking up in my room, not able to do the recycling, or just too embarrassed to take all of it out. Using neighbors bins (Someone was using ours in return!)

Those wine boxes were (at the time) a godsend, however of course I was tempted to polish off the whole thing...3 bottles.

It's great that this is now a thing of the past.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

i was not a wine drinker but i've heard this very thing before. its funny earlier in my drinking i met a guy who drank cans I said why not just get bottles it tastes better he says its too heavy they break and clang around cans are so much easier rararara I thought he was nuts. Fast forward as my illness progressed i switched over to cans as well seemed like anything cheap came in a can and alas he was right they are lighter and easier to deal with. I should have put 2 and 2 together he was a raging alcoholic i new it too by the time my problem hit his problems levels I however did not view myself as an alcoholic ::facepalm::
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My alcoholism was so bad that I had so many empties all over the farm and house that I've often been able to use recycling money to pay for my addiction or buy food and gas lol. I was able to get the 75$ a week limit on returns for a very very long time. Probably close to a year.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was mostly a beer drinker, but drank a ton if wine as well. I only did the box a few times, but remember how easy it was putting the glass or cup under the spout and just hitting the button... I also recall squeezing the bag out for every last drop. Ugh. Terrible memories.

When you start thinking in terms of hiding evidence, yeah- there's a problem there. I do not miss taking out the recycling. The seltzer water cans I put in there now have a different "clang" to them than beer cans, and there's never that terrible "clink" of glass as the recycling is dumped into the bin.

Anyone remember stomping on cans to get them flat and maximize space?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't even bother. We have so many outbuildings here and have to return all our own recycling. There was garbage bags full of recycling stacked up everywhere.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was so sick at the end of my career I would hold the box up in the morning after a bad night and let the gravity feed the the poison in my gut to get neutral.. I will never forget those days.. By the grace of God I've been sober 375 days now!!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There were no secrets from my garbage man when I drank, irrespective of the fact that I did most of my drinking outside the house.

I still did enough at home to result in my trash bags sounding like those from the very same taverns I patronized.

It was quite embarrassing.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I had the plastic wineglass too in case I drunkingly knocked it over. It was so easy to sneak into the kitchen and keep topping off my glass. Squeezing the bag until there was nothing but air left. The box was like a fridge keg. One box every week. Also a half gallon of rum every week. My recycle can was never too bad because of these. Just my life.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wine drinking is such a problem, and it's all over the place. People guzzle wine, like it's pop. I think that's why so many people get into trouble with it. It's start off fun and social....then gets it's hooks into you. People think wine isn't as strong as hard booze, but booze is booze.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think many of us that drank for a long time had turning points, mine was when I started buying the 1.75 litres of spiced rum and cases of diet coke. Always large supplies in the house and the kicker is it was economical to buy in large quantities so I could justify it.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I think many of us that drank for a long time had turning points, mine was when I started buying the 1.75 litres of spiced rum and cases of diet coke. Always large supplies in the house and the kicker is it was economical to buy in large quantities so I could justify it.
That's me. 1.75 Calico Jack and Diet Coke. And the box of wine. Getting bombed all the time on a budget.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
That's me. 1.75 Calico Jack and Diet Coke. And the box of wine. Getting bombed all the time on a budget.
We had it all figured out right? haha