SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   The diabolical -- box wine (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390054-diabolical-box-wine.html)

Lonelywombat67 04-23-2016 10:56 AM

The diabolical -- box wine

Switching to boxes of wine was a turning point of sorts for me. It is so much easier to hide the evidence with these things. No clanking bottles to remove from the house. One gets empty, don't forget to tip it for the last drops, then take the bladder out, squeeze out more . Break down the cardboard and stack it between more cardboard for the recycling. What a ritual. What insanity. I'm glad I can't see how many of these I consumed over the past few years.

FarToGo 04-23-2016 11:02 AM

It's so great to leave all those awful habits behind. Well done for making a change.
xx

least 04-23-2016 01:07 PM

I'm just glad I no longer drink any kind of wine. :)

Ghostlight1 04-23-2016 01:21 PM

I know it's scary to think how much I drank and to see all the empties in one place. I'm sure I'd be mortified.
I had rituals, too-change dumpsters and try and quietly sneak out with empties.
I'm glad those days have passed and I hope the do for you, too.

fantail 04-23-2016 05:41 PM

Oh man. It's kind of horrifying to think of the amount of waste that just me and my habit created. Probably more than a storage locker's worth. Actually probably much more than that. Sorry earth. :( Sorry organs! So glad it's done with.

Jack465 04-23-2016 07:18 PM

I was unemployed for 2 months in 2013 and I switched to the cheapest, nastiest wine imaginable to save money. I had to water it down before I could even drink it.

freshstart57 04-23-2016 07:36 PM

Ahh yes. Cardboardeaux. All gone and good riddance too.

soberclover 04-24-2016 01:17 PM

I'm glad I no longer have to deal with that situation :) Glad you don't have to either!

chineseblue 04-28-2016 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 (Post 5919815)
Switching to boxes of wine was a turning point of sorts for me. It is so much easier to hide the evidence with these things. No clanking bottles to remove from the house. One gets empty, don't forget to tip it for the last drops, then take the bladder out, squeeze out more . Break down the cardboard and stack it between more cardboard for the recycling. What a ritual. What insanity. I'm glad I can't see how many of these I consumed over the past few years.

Totally know what you mean Lonelywombat. I work from home quite a lot, but also spend chunks of time away on projects, so it wouldn't have been odd for me to have 2, 3 or even a months worth of bottles, cans empty stacking up in my room, not able to do the recycling, or just too embarrassed to take all of it out. Using neighbors bins (Someone was using ours in return!)

Those wine boxes were (at the time) a godsend, however of course I was tempted to polish off the whole thing...3 bottles.

It's great that this is now a thing of the past.

zjw 04-28-2016 05:10 AM

i was not a wine drinker but i've heard this very thing before. its funny earlier in my drinking i met a guy who drank cans I said why not just get bottles it tastes better he says its too heavy they break and clang around cans are so much easier rararara I thought he was nuts. Fast forward as my illness progressed i switched over to cans as well seemed like anything cheap came in a can and alas he was right they are lighter and easier to deal with. I should have put 2 and 2 together he was a raging alcoholic i new it too by the time my problem hit his problems levels I however did not view myself as an alcoholic ::facepalm::

Delizadee 04-28-2016 06:19 AM

My alcoholism was so bad that I had so many empties all over the farm and house that I've often been able to use recycling money to pay for my addiction or buy food and gas lol. :( I was able to get the 75$ a week limit on returns for a very very long time. Probably close to a year.

GnikNus 04-28-2016 06:42 AM

I was mostly a beer drinker, but drank a ton if wine as well. I only did the box a few times, but remember how easy it was putting the glass or cup under the spout and just hitting the button... I also recall squeezing the bag out for every last drop. Ugh. Terrible memories.

When you start thinking in terms of hiding evidence, yeah- there's a problem there. I do not miss taking out the recycling. The seltzer water cans I put in there now have a different "clang" to them than beer cans, and there's never that terrible "clink" of glass as the recycling is dumped into the bin.

Anyone remember stomping on cans to get them flat and maximize space?

Delizadee 04-28-2016 06:50 AM

I didn't even bother. We have so many outbuildings here and have to return all our own recycling. There was garbage bags full of recycling stacked up everywhere.

Dave42001 04-28-2016 07:29 AM

I was so sick at the end of my career I would hold the box up in the morning after a bad night and let the gravity feed the the poison in my gut to get neutral.. I will never forget those days.. By the grace of God I've been sober 375 days now!!

SoberCAH 04-28-2016 01:11 PM

There were no secrets from my garbage man when I drank, irrespective of the fact that I did most of my drinking outside the house.

I still did enough at home to result in my trash bags sounding like those from the very same taverns I patronized.

It was quite embarrassing.

stargazer016 04-28-2016 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 (Post 5919815)

I had the plastic wineglass too in case I drunkingly knocked it over. It was so easy to sneak into the kitchen and keep topping off my glass. Squeezing the bag until there was nothing but air left. The box was like a fridge keg. One box every week. Also a half gallon of rum every week. My recycle can was never too bad because of these. Just my life.

Pondlady 04-28-2016 01:56 PM

Wine drinking is such a problem, and it's all over the place. People guzzle wine, like it's pop. I think that's why so many people get into trouble with it. It's start off fun and social....then gets it's hooks into you. People think wine isn't as strong as hard booze, but booze is booze.

thomas11 04-28-2016 02:07 PM

I think many of us that drank for a long time had turning points, mine was when I started buying the 1.75 litres of spiced rum and cases of diet coke. Always large supplies in the house and the kicker is it was economical to buy in large quantities so I could justify it.

stargazer016 04-28-2016 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5928073)
I think many of us that drank for a long time had turning points, mine was when I started buying the 1.75 litres of spiced rum and cases of diet coke. Always large supplies in the house and the kicker is it was economical to buy in large quantities so I could justify it.

That's me. 1.75 Calico Jack and Diet Coke. And the box of wine. Getting bombed all the time on a budget.

thomas11 04-28-2016 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by stargazer016 (Post 5928197)
That's me. 1.75 Calico Jack and Diet Coke. And the box of wine. Getting bombed all the time on a budget.

We had it all figured out right? haha