Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Interesting Article on Johnny Manziel and Young Adult Subtype Alcoholics

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Johnny Manziel: Why We Cannot (and Should Not) Look Away | Bleacher Report

Here's an interesting article that uses a term new to me: "Young Adult Subtype" alcoholic. The term may be new to me, but the description is not. Pretty much sums up my twenties and thirties.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Football Johnny is a mess!! He's done in the NFL! There's also a big article in Sports illustrated about him last month. Hope he gets help!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I really like this article. The way the writer talks about addiction is refreshing. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Interesting. Pretty much my story. I have found in recovery though, that it a mistake to get hung up on sub types and differences. I sobered up when I was 22 with the help of many older members of AA.

We had exactly the same disease, and the solution worked exactly the same for me as it did for the older folks. I had contemporaries who were really hung up on being different. Most of them didn't make it.

AAs solution to alcoholism incorporates the wisdom of ages, and much wisdom from older members merely through their life experience. Generally speaking, the young, even the sober young, are not usually fonts of wisdom. We still have to aquire it over time, just like everybody else.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Very well written!

Introspectator
Old 04-19-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Waitaminit! 13 drink nights are benders? Where the hell was I? 13 drinks was happy hour. A comfy night at home with the TV. Not some epic, newsworthy night out.

The boy's even delusional about his drinking.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trach! Ah ahaha! Have you ever had 13 wines?! Oh my- don't make me show you....
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's a sad story, but one that has been played out millions of times before. Alcoholism is no respecter of persons. It doesn't care what a bright future you could have. It doesn't care what a bright past you had. It doesn't care if you are poor, middle-class, wealthy, or obscenely wealthy. Alcoholism only wants to kill you.

I truly hope he wises up and gets the help he needs. Alcohol has taken down men MUCH bigger than him.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

His problem isn't alcohol or drugs.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Okay...what do you think is his problem?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Interesting article. I think Johnny does what he does for one reason.....because he can. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have put a little thought into this, so bear with me. Put aside Manzeil's personality (or our idea of what we think it is). Now imagine yourself in his shoes: Drinking problem. Young. Rich. Popular-every club he walks into just lights up. Attractive to the point of having to tell women "no" probably every day. Athletic and healthy.

I had only a couple of those things. I was once young and I had a drinking problem. -and if you told me to stop, I told you what to do with yourself.

What I'm saying is although I hope he can accept some help, his gifts are working against him.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Interesting article. I think Johnny does what he does for one reason.....because he can. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but that's my 2 cents.
I don't agree with that. He did get away with it in college and managed to get a desperate NFL team to draft him despite the red flags but his NFL career is over after one season after repeatedly making a fool of his team management and those who supported him. I'll bet the money is gone or nearly gone and he just thew away a possible 10 plus years of making many millions of dollars per year and being in the limelight. Just because he couldn't say no to nights out drinking when he knew he had work responsibilities the next day. And we all know what that means.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

same thing happened to Vince Young.. Another member mentioned it, booze / drugs will destroy you, it doesn't care if you're rich or poor, black, white, purple, skinny, fat.. Sad to watch, I think the media adds fuel to the fire..
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Just because he couldn't say no to nights out drinking when he knew he had work responsibilities the next day. And we all know what that means.
FLuffer,
WE alcoholics/addicts cannot say "NO to nights out drinking ...." If we could take it or leave it, we wouldn't be here on SR looking for support for our alcoholism. He's active in his addiction, and his mind isn't thinking rationally. Needs help for sure , Denial was a huge block in me seeking help. I hope he can accept the help, I guess we'll all see if that happens through the vast Media in our world today!
Bobbi
Old 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Just to bump this post, here's an article on NPR:

Commentary: The Sad Tale Of NFL Player Johnny Manziel : NPR

I particularly liked this quote:

In my line of work, I see a lot of bad people, but I've learned not to give up on them. I've seen addicts go clean. I've seen the violent turn peaceful. And I've seen the lecherous become pure. Redemption is a reality. And so there are many ways to read the story of Johnny Football, but this is the most important way. This is no longer a sports story. This is a human story. And in sports, as in life, redemption is a powerful and always possible miracle. It'll make a better story, and it'll make us better, too.
I think this summarizes how I feel about Manziel. The guy demonstrates poor behaviour, that has unfortunately, perhaps tipped into the criminal. He doesn't have a professional work ethic, makes bad decisions, is unreliable, immature and certainly self-entitled.

Too often I think we see those behaviours and mistake them for the cause of addiction, instead of the symptoms. Last year he did briefly get into treatment, and all of those above listed behaviours quickly dissipated. I haven't given up on Manziel as human being either and think that, if and when he does get healthy he'll have a powerful story to tell.