Notices

Do i have to go to AA to stay sober?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do i have to go to AA to stay sober?

I'm 5 1/2 months sober. I don't crave alcohol at all but I know i'm an alcoholic due to previous drinking and withdrawls. Do you have to attend AA to be successful? I've also never done a rehab or medical detox. I've tried it several times and hated it every time ( no offense meant I know it helps millions) . My current plan is working out 5 days a week, reading my bible, prayer, mediation, and counseling. Is it possible to lead a sober life without AA??

Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

AA is one of many recovery methods. It's a very popular one and it works well for many, but it's not the only method by any means.

Here's a good thread that lists several of the more common ones that you might enjoy reading.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-06-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

it is possible everyone is different there are many different recovery programmes I would suggest having a plan/programme in place a lot of people have gotten & stayed sober right here at SR
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober over six years ago with counseling and daily visits to SR. It's been working well for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No.
There are loads of options.
Therapy.
Religion.
AA.
Smart Recovery.
Life Ring.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find all kinds of ideas here, so just take a look around and read. Ultimately you need to do what works for you.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

No. AA is not necessary nor sufficient for sobriety as many are sober without it and some are not sober with it. Even so, there are many who believe strongly in it and are successful in their sobriety.

More important is your personal commitment to your future and your acceptance of your personal situation. Are you ready to make a plan about any future use of alcohol?

Don't sell yourself short, GG. Congratulations on your success - 5 1/2 months is a tremendous achievement. You have a strong plan that is working, and have every right to succeed in it. Listen to your inner voice, demand a good future for yourself and accept nothing less. Onward!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Lots of options out there these days. The important thing is to find what works for you.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You have 5 and 1/2 months sober and you find yourself hating AA. Why go?

It will always be there if you need it.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by girlygirl23 View Post
Is it possible to lead a sober life without AA??
Absolutely, lots of living happy proof of that including me!

What many (not all, but many) people find, though, is using some kind of support group (including online forums like here) is a big help. You get to decide how important that is, but keep in mind, if you do find one day that you're really in trouble and about to chuck your X months or years of sobriety over something, you'll have a much easier time with it if you're already plugged into some kind of support group that you can turn to for help.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Maybe yes, maybe no - as others have stated. That said, I've found a way of living sober that no other program I'm aware of offers so I'm glad I landed in AA as I did.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No AA isn't the only way to stay sober as you well know. You say you hate it. Why not use it as a punishment if you really feel like drinking and nothing else works? Sort of a last line of defense or aversion therapy. Continue what works but keep AA in mind just in case. I go whenever I feel a bit weak then again I enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For the most part I agree with what people have said. When I first decided to get sober I first sought out in intensive outpatient program. That worked for me for a period of time, but then I realized that was just a small educational experience to provide me some tools for the Initial stages of sobriety. But what I've learned is that sobriety is a lifelong journey, and AA is a tried and true method to completely change your life around.

One of the interesting things that I think about which I don't hear mentioned in meetings, is that the program isn't just for sobriety. The program is to help you Evolve as person, in order to conquer your addiction. Thus I think there are multiple paths towards that end, but what I asked myself is why go searching for another program when this one can absolutely work.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Girly girl, the answer is do what suits you and find a way that works. If training 5 days a week gives your body & mind what it needs to take away boredom and craving then go with it! I do exactly the same. My mantra is Work, Train, Family, Sleep! It's only when there's a problem with one of those I start to wobble. I use SR for my wobbly moments.....which is still quite regular. I also find having a focus ie. Like a race or physical goal helps a lot, the thought of poisoning my body just isn't on the agenda, why would I want to undo all the hard work which will affect my physical performance! Good Luck with sobriety and keep training hard! X
Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you really hate it and think you'll be able to maintain your sobriety and keep up the other parts of your plan, why not put AA on the back burner for a while? You haven't got to do any grand announcement of your departure or say you're never going back. There is no need for absolutes. Just give it a go without AA and see how you get on. You can always go back, and try different meetings or whatever if you decide that you do want the fellowship, or that you want to pursue what is promised through the steps.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Introspectator

I was doing great on my own, with SR as well. I tried AA a few times over the years and hated it too. THIS TIME I absolutely love it! I feel I am READY for it this time, I am ready to be truthful and faithful to myself this time. Last night at AA a guy that was sober 12 years on his own started going to AA. He said that, even though he had been sober that long, he was not working on changing any of his alcoholic behaviors...he just wasn't drinking. The topic last night was the "dry drunk." The individual that isn't drinking, but acts the same as he/she always did, and still being unhappy with life. I haven't looked into anything else besides SR and AA, and it is all good for me. Give AA one more try perhaps...sounds like somewhere in your mind you would like it to "click" for you? Just guessing. If you do go, chew up the meat and spit out the bones. Good luck, and Stay Sober
Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MrBrad

It certainly is possible You will be just as well off with AA as you would be without it.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To answer your question, you will receive
many different answers, however, for myself,
I had to first be taught about my addiction
to alcohol and it affects on my own body,
mind, soul as well as others around me.

Because of my own state of mind, reaching
the bottom of my disease, addiction, family
stepped in with an intervention, getting a
court order to have me placed into the hands
of those capable and knowledgeable to teach
me about my alcohol addiction.

From there I spent 28 days in a rehab
facility, learning, absorbing, listening,
and eventually applying and incorperating
them in all areas of my life once I returned
home to help me remain sober one day at
a time to get me where I am today.

It was the AA program of recovery taught
to me from the beginning and it was from
that small seed of recovery planted in my
brain, that I needed to do whatever was
required and suggested to me to stay on
track taking one step at a time to continue
on my path of recovery and remain sober.

From had to, to needed to, to wanted to go
to any lengths to help me remain sober
using the AA program of recovery that
has help me remain sober and help me
achieve health, happiness, honesty, that
freedom so many want to reach.

Today, with many one days at a time sober
added together, 25yrs sober, I continue on
my journey passing on my own ESH -
experiences, strengths and hopes of
what my life was and is like before, during
and after my addiction to alcohol to others
struggling with addiction.

Had to......needed to.....wanted to.....

Willingness.......Openmindedness........Honesty
Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We are all different, I have a few AA friends that have 15+++ years of sobriety that still go to meetings almost every night of the week, others do not go anymore. What is important IMHO is that we have a plan a plan we tweak as the days, weeks and months of sobriety roll by but I believe it's important to stick to a plan.

Andrew
Old 04-09-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No