Notices

Very discouraged.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I found you this so you can play along.

Business Buzzwords Generator - WSJ.com

“Moving forward, it's time to act with robust wheelhouse and push the envelope our team transformation
Bwahahaha! "Skate to where the puck is going to be." Love it, SR!

D.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

What have you been up to Delf?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Ah, sleeps, I'm distracted by an ex of sorts who has decided to come back into the picture. He's a big drinker so I was worried that he might be a bad influence but he seems to like me sober so there you go. He's not encouraging me to drink or anything like that. Anyway, he is taking up a lot of my thought space. I don't think it's gonna go anywhere but it's nice to have a hint of romance in the air. God I'm corny. *blushing dolphin*

You don't seem to be doing as much drawing lately. Stupid job killing your creative buzz??

D.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Delf if it makes you happy, I am happy for you

That's a yes about the drawing. I pretty much stopped.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Aw, thanks, sleeps.

Bummer about your drawing. It seems to be a source of joy for you. Hope you get the inspiration back. Please, don't let the job suck all the life force out of you. Please!!

D.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

It happens. I mean it's just that when I try to do something it looks bad and doesn't flow right. It makes a lot of sense that drinking after my full time job allowed me to practice and get better.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
"Push the Envelope"...

What does that even mean? Seriously that one always made me want to punch a hole in a wall.

This is not language.
It's test pilot speak. The Chuck Yaeger type guy. Experimental jets have performance envelopes. Sets of performance data they're designed for like speed, altitude, etc. The test pilot is supposed to exceed those limits to see what happens.

Not the best of business practices as it often leads to another test pilot cliche:

Crash and burn.

Execudroids don't respond well to having their buzzspeak reality-challenged so just chuckle along and don't hurt them. They're frail and fragile.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

It happens. I mean it's just that when I try to do something it looks bad and doesn't flow right. It makes a lot of sense that drinking after my full time job allowed me to practice and get better.
That's AV again sleepie, true or not.

You keep bringing up drinking as a solution but it ain't
Old 02-17-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
zjw

But 3 whole days. Now usually by the 2nd day I am already nervous about going back.
glad i'm not alone usualy on a sunday i feel like the kid who has his first day of school at a new school on monday. its a terrible feeling all day that lump in your stomach.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Are you saying that drinking helped you to create? I can't tell if that is what you are saying. If it is, challenge that.

I was deep into my recovery, felt great about my decision, comfortable in my own skin, all that. Someone brought up a whisky called fireball and it sounded like something I would have liked. My initial thought was "I'm sorry I never got to try that." That was it, I didn't feel like drinking just then. About a week later someone brought up fireball and rumchata . I always meant to try rumchata. Suddenly I wanted one of those drinks sooooo bad.

If you allow yourself to tell yourself you are missing out by not drinking it can cause some serious cravings later.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Guys it's just a fact. I'm not saying I'm drinking. But I am losing the only thing I was vaguely good at. it happens to a lot of people who were creative. And I'm not saying it's a solution. It's just how it was, and now it's like this and I don't want to make anything.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Guys it's just a fact. I'm not saying I'm drinking. But I am losing the only thing I was vaguely good at. it happens to a lot of people who were creative. And I'm not saying it's a solution. It's just how it was, and now it's like this and I don't want to make anything.
That's AV talk again Sleepie. You've come up with plenty of creative drawings and shared them right here on the forums since you quit drinking.

You were NOT good at drinking, not even vaguely. None of us were - if we were we wouldn't be here.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
zjw

I dunno i dont want to agree with you. But i've seen this play out a lot someone quits drinking and the creativety or the drive to play or create music or write or draw or paint take a dive.

I'd like to say this is my problem with writing software to a degree but in my case my ability to handle writing software started to go down hill a lot at the end of my drinking days anyhow and has only gotten worse since i quit drinking.

I'm not saying its an excuse to go drink however. but maybe find something else to get into. Or just keep working at finding that inner creativity i'm sure it can come back too maybe? I dunno.

for me i got sober and got into a lot of things i was not into otherwise. a lot of stuff i got into i actually wanted to do before but was afraid what other people would think so instead i drank. But when i got sober i thought what do i care i'm gonna do those things i wanted to do why? i got nothing else to friggen do and maybe i'll enjoy it. which id id and honestly in early sobriety and even now i need stuff to help me pass the time since i'm not just wasting time sitting around drinking anymore.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

"Push the Envelope"...

What does that even mean? Seriously that one always made me want to punch a hole in a wall.

This is not language.
Long time ago I had a boss tell us to, "do more than what you can do."

Well I can only do so much, and not do more than what I can do. Like how can I do more than what I can do? I ain't staying for extra hours and work for free. Only solution is to do the best you can and tell the boss, "yes I will look into that," or, " I will do it."

We can only do so much. I mean is the boss going to pay me more than what they can pay?

Next time go buy a whopper, at least you will feel satisfied and feel better!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sleepie you are very creative x ?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I dunno i dont want to agree with you. But i've seen this play out a lot someone quits drinking and the creativety or the drive to play or create music or write or draw or paint take a dive.

I'd like to say this is my problem with writing software to a degree but in my case my ability to handle writing software started to go down hill a lot at the end of my drinking days anyhow and has only gotten worse since i quit drinking.

I'm not saying its an excuse to go drink however. but maybe find something else to get into. Or just keep working at finding that inner creativity i'm sure it can come back too maybe? I dunno.
How long have you been quit? I don't think either you (or sleepie) can possibly know
what your creative ability will or will not be as sober people until you've been sober for at least a year or two.

I didn't mentally start to get really sharp until after my first year and a half of sobriety.
Then it took off like crazy, as did my creativity and my desire to create.
I thought I could only write good poetry drunk. I was wrong wrong wrong.
Who knows what your potential will be if you really give your mind and body a chance
to fully recover from the damage the drinking did?

It doesn't fix itself in a few months for most of us.

I can't wait to get back to where I was before I tried to "moderate"
because I'm still not recovered after just a few brief relapses.
That damage and dullness came back really quickly and it is taking
time again to recover.

But drinking sure won't make that happen faster.
It will just make sure it doesn't happen at all.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by whopper View Post
Long time ago I had a boss tell us to, "do more than what you can do."
Once I told a Vice President that we simply didn't have time to do something she directed us to do. Her wise reply was, "Sometimes you have to manufacture time.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

LOVE your new Avatar, Sleepie.
I always did love Oscar.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by zjw View Post

for me i got sober and got into a lot of things i was not into otherwise. a lot of stuff i got into i actually wanted to do before but was afraid what other people would think so instead i drank. But when i got sober i thought what do i care i'm gonna do those things i wanted to do why? i got nothing else to friggen do and maybe i'll enjoy it. which id id and honestly in early sobriety and even now i need stuff to help me pass the time since i'm not just wasting time sitting around drinking anymore.
It took me a long time to get my creativity back....but I did.

I didn't blame sobriety either.
I blamed drinking - I really messed myself up.

I have enough time now to adequately judge creative me drinking and creative me not drinking.

I don't have those songs that come to me complete anymore - but those mad flashes of inspiration came with a ridiculously heavy price

I did not write anything at all worth a damn for the last 6 years of my drinking and my playing deteriorated markedly.

I am writing some of the best stuff of my career now.
It needs discipline and patience - but I'm able to give myself both those things now.

I'm a lot more mature and constant a musician sober.

If anyone's feeling a loss of creativity, maybe the healing process isn't over yet?

D
Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

It is actually a real problem that will rectify itself. Like Dee said it does come back. I'm not siting from my own experience but lots of creative people have gotten sober and afterwards their work changed. Look at Stephen King. I'm sure there was a period of adjustment in the process. Stay the course Sleepie. I only poke my head in here now and then but I have followed you and you've come so far!