Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVIII: "New Year, New Moo!"

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVIII: "New Year, New Moo!"

Old 01-23-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good morning, Cow.

Yesterday afternoon an out of shape recently non-drinking 50-some year old woman was walking through the snow and wind in Baltimore thinking about your recent perspective on gratitude and attitude. I also don't tend to experience gratitude. There are plenty of things I appreciate - those things I worked hard for and those I had nothing to do with or are simply serendipitous. When I hear others describe their gratitude, it sounds rather mystical or religious or something beyond or foreign to my experience.

Nevertheless, I agree that a shift in attitude can and does take us a good way toward breaking down walls that have come to isolate us more than protect us. Or maybe the isolation is worse than the protection.

In any event, I just wanted to give you a holla from across the continent to say I feel like I'm in that same sort of place. And I appreciate that as some sort of wall-busting serendipity.

I just heard the first crack of thunder. They had said we'd likely get a thunder-snow; I think that's really cool and am cozied up waiting for more.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Okay, I not even make it past you first sentence without little bit of tears coming out. Very powerful imagery, Obladi. I want to read rest of the story!

Wow, we really is in same sort of place. ...Maybe you my, Obladoppleganger! Maybe we can chips away at each other. Not lose all our marbles, but just, as Michelangelo would say, the unnecessary bits. I want to believe is much more to be reveal under all that stone, yes?

I hoping you will stick around with us and share more. Is like famous saying: "It take a village ...to lift a cow."

Thunder-snow sound awesome. I not see it snow too much, so it still has magical quality for me. I hope you enjoys.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Or maybe you are my Oblacowpieganger. Either way works for me. The rest of the story isn't hard to find, but this is your thread.

Sadly, I fell asleep before hearing more thunder, because I do think it's spectacular. I like snow because it makes everything quiet and clean. People stay in their houses, very few vehicles driving by, and shoveling is some kind of physical meditation as long as I remember to pace myself.

We've got somewhere around 18" so far and for the first time in 23 years, one of my kids volunteered to shovel! (So it's not realistic that a child would volunteer before they were say... 10, so let's count it as the first time in 13 years.) That will be cool if it happens, but ok if it doesn't.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hello la vaca.

Snow is the best Cow.

how are you this evening?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Obladi, this really not been MY threads since, like, Chapter II. It more like a salon, or, maybe peanut gallery. And that good thing, cuz I find conversation much more helpful than monologuing.

I did read you other thread. Tough stuff, but good on you for keep on. I never has childrens ...and that sigh you just hear was collective sigh of relief from all the childrens in the world.

Hi Sleepies. I struggle a lot with the whiplash moods today, but I do pretty good job of keeping attitude from plummeting. I gonna make dinner and distract self by catching up on X-Files before new episodes start. I know you having rough time. I tried to draw you picture, but, um, no. I hope you finding some solace in Bed Island.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

oh yeah the x files i forgot... cool.
bf was wantin to see that.
I love Bed Island. But I am gaining weight from grilled cheeses so today tacos instead lol
yep it's just life as normal non drinking dead eyed work drone
Old 01-24-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Omnivore

It is so nice to see you hens have improved your attitudes and all. But what about your humming birds? How are they? And even more important, what about your Cardinals? Looks like the weather is cooperating but I'm worried that kitty cat is going to get them. If they were safe at home I'd feel better.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

hi cowpeople

Cow I have secretly been with you about showering this whole time. No showering until it's unavoidable. Now I have to shower when I get up every day to go to work. It sounds gross but I don't care, I hate showering. Yesterday I didn't shower because I had a day off, and 1st thing I said when I woke up was "I am so sick of dragging my ass into that shower every day"... an online comedian put it well in a piece about showers, she said "It's so much work in there!".

That's well put. It is! With all the damn lathering, rinsing, conditioning and well if you happen to shave, that too... and I dunno it's just a chore. And the shivering in the cold afterwards and waiting around for hair to dry (I never, ever use blow dryers on my wavy hair). Ugh the waiting for hair to dry.

Business casual on a Sunday and up at 5:00 a.m.

Hope I don't stress eat myself back to obesity. No drinking no xanax and back to a sh***y thankless life. Not much to look forward too. Just want to get back to Bed Island and watch more Homeland. Season 4 is good so far.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm with you on the showers Sleepie, particularly in the wintertime when it's hard to get warm and also in the summer when it's hot so I get sweaty. In spring and fall, it's just too much of a bother. Why shower when I'm just gonna get funky and have to do it all over again tomorrow?

Hope getting out of the house helps in some small way, even if it's just to give you that sense of relief when you get back home.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Sleepies, showering not that good for you. As I say before, it wash off Vitamin D and dry out you skin. I also think it disrupt the natural bacterial environment of the skin. And it dose you with chlorine and fluoride from city water. Everybody say my skin look pretty good for 50, and I always wanna say, "that cuz I not dunking it in water every 5 minutes and scrubbing crap out of it and slathering toxic lotion and potion and make ups all over it! Maybe all those layers you is paying all that monies to exfoliate is THERE FOR A REASON!

You really can get by for long time with bird baths (just washing you lady bits and pits with washcloth at sink. When I does shower I not ever use soap.

Hi Walk, listen, I loves my Cardinals, but I not has rosy color glasses. They play like crap last week and this week they playing a feral beast who will eats them alive if they not crank up they game and show some grit. Hell, Cam Newton could probable swallow Carson Palmer whole the way he unhinge his jaw and beat his chest. I HATES CAM!! It could be very ugly, very ugly indeed, but stranger thing has happen, like, Cow not being big sourpuss all the time. So we shall see. ... ...Probable see us get our ass kicked, but I be watching nonetheless!

Hummies are all good. I maintaining the 3 feeding stations and they is developing elborate flight patterns and tricksy moves to sneak in and get they nectar even in the face of merciless Lord Fatty. Sometime Fatty will chase one off and the other two will race in for a quick drink. I think it maybe a deliberate con. I like to think it is, they very clever. Yes, it very Game of Thrones of the patio these days.

Well I got big day. Gotta play wallyball, then has lunch with brothers, then watch football. Hope I can sustain energies and good attitude. See you all on my flip side.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

ah;
now i know why i can feel like such an outsider: i love my daily shower!!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

This guy...

Hi Cow, people say I look pretty good for 50 too, problem is I'm 41!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Fun Fact...
I went to the Dr (again) a couple days back. They took my blood pressure for the 1st time in years while I had not taken a benzo or anything. It was normal.

Good to know.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
now's the time

In the winter I shower twice a week, unless I'm doing an activity that involves sweating. I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin and hair since I started this routine! I definitely find that while my hair used to be greasy every other day, now I can easily go the 3 or 4 days without looking scruffy. I think the body balances out once it's not getting stripped of oils every day. Cow, I hope you're right that your skin has benefited from it... maybe my lack of a beauty regimen can cancel out my drinking and smoking??? Maybe??
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Cow? Cow, the Cardinals are playing today.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good luck to Cow's Cardinals!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Well had a chance to see the Cardinals I've been hearing so much about at bf's parent's place but we left as I was falling over from exhaustion. I saw some of the Broncos I think?

Back on Bed Island.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Sometime you just gotta accept other people limitations, yes?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^
Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

oh my that Panther QB has some sass