Notices

Newbie 10 Days!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~Only Time Will Tell~

Newbie 10 Days!

Hey guys Im sort of a newbie here I joined a while ago because I have been wanting to stop drinking for quite some time but I finally realized this time that I want to stop for real. I havent gone more than two weeks without a drink in a VERY long time. This summer it has been bad... binge drinking every other day, the hangovers were so bad I would spend the whole next day in bed then drink again the following day. At least 10-15-20 beers and Im a 110lb female. So that is a lot to consume. The past month I have been drinking and slowly realizing how stupid people act while they are drunk and that they are not my friends and I have just been staying home, not talking to my "drinker" friends and Im doing a pretty good job since it is now day 10 with no drinks at all. Im not a smoker but I smoked when I drank, Complete different person when drinking and I dont want to be that person anymore. Im on klonipin for anxiety so I was blacking out hardcore and taking different kinds of illegal drugs on top of it too. Im finding myself very emotional and alone since I dont have many friends or close family to talk to so it has been very hard to handle. The past couple days I must admit have been a little bit easier for me but I've always found that after a week or 2 of no alcohol I really start to crave it. I guess Im here to help get the support I need to stay sober and maybe get some advice on how to cope. I was actually trying to wean myself off the anxiety meds but Im affraid that will not happen anytime soon with quitting everything all at once. Just wondering if anyone else is going through the same situation as me because I know that everyone is different and has a different story.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Welcome WhiteZombie, and congratulations on ten days. Lots of support here.

Feel free to join us in the Class of August 2015 thread for more support from other people going through the early days.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome WhiteZombie,

You will find alot of support here. I am a prime example of constantly slipping after 1 or 2 weeks without drinking. My biggest stretch was about 60 days and i thought i could handle it so i drank again. The more failures i get, the more i see why i should not pick up that first drink.

As far as being alone, i understand. Im only associating myself with close family and 1 good friend, avoiding all my drinking partners. You start to see the time wasted being drunk, gossiping and acting a complete fool.

My advice to you is to find a plan and stick to it and don't be a afraid to shoot me a pm.

Best of luck!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can see many familiar points in your story WhiteZombie - the giving up and then rationalising going back a few days later...the blackouts...not liking who I was or who I hung around with...

SR really helped me - I know the community can help you too
Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Only Time Will Tell~

Thanks so much guys Im glad I found this site. And its nice to know that people know exactly what Im going through right now.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice work, WhiteZombie - 10 days is wonderful. Glad to see you posting.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Congrats on 10 days WhiteZombie !! Welcome to SR
You'll find your not alone , in all you've been through with alcohol & what it's done to your life .. Lots of posts from others that have battled the same things . I was a 15 -20 beers a day for 10+ years . At the last end I added a pint of Rum .
I kicked my drinking buddies to the Curb - My health came first
Old 08-21-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, w.z.! and welcome.

The only advice I have is to research. Planning is easier with knowledge. If researching here, the "stickies" at the top of forum sections are full of wisdom.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations WhiteZombie on 10 days.

I'm pleased you found this site , it helped me enormously, too.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No you're definitely not alone. I'm on day 5 and that is the longest I've gone in over 5 years without having a single drink. Up until this morning it wasn't so bad but it's only 8:15am and this day feels like it's going to be extremely challenging.

So be glad you got to 10 because you're twice as far as I am before hitting the anxiety wall
Old 08-22-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Congrats on ten days sober. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats! Welcome, best forum for support
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

WhiteZombie, 10 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WhiteZombie!!
Old 08-22-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~Only Time Will Tell~

Thanks soooooooooooo much guys this is def not easy and Im getting very bored. Eating a lot which is kind of good because I have always struggled with keeping weight on so maybe I cant finally get some meat on my bones cause I been eating non-stop LMFAO
Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

Good job on the 10 days! Eat away eat good stuff alcoholics tend to be pretty malnourished so we need the nutrition to heal
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm 7days in. I have quit several times in the past 3 years...and every time I start to think I can drink "socially" my AV tells me to stop at the liquor store on the way home. I wish I cold drink casually with my friends. They don't seem to have the problems I do...or the tolerance I have. The slope is just too slippery for me. I don't even feel drunk when I've been drinking all day. It's the first shot that is like heroin for me. And every drink after that is trying to get that feeling back. I feel awesome sober...for the most part. I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with anxiety.... It seems many anxious people resort to booze for self-medication....and sobering up compounds those feelings. Coming off of meds could pose another challenge. I am no expert, but many people suggest exercise and meditation. I suck at both, so I read and draw. I also find writing letters to people extremely therapeutic. Beast of luck! You are doing great!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~Only Time Will Tell~

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Good job on the 10 days! Eat away eat good stuff alcoholics tend to be pretty malnourished so we need the nutrition to heal

I LOVE cooking so Im always making yummy food.... Today is shrimp stir fry.... yesterday I made a crockpot ham, mashed potatos and corn on the cob. Im so hungry all the time
Old 08-23-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~Only Time Will Tell~

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome
Thank You!