Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Anna

D
Old 08-16-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What dream may come

anyone else having vivid dreams early in your quit?

I'm on day 3, and two nights ago I dreamed about a friend who was an Alcoholic/Smoker that passed away early due to health problems related to both. We were at a work function and he was talking to me and one other person as a ghost.

Last night I had a dream about running out of beer, and looking through my usual hiding places. It was like my AV was trying to convince me to go to the store when I woke up. For about 30 secs after I did, I was kind of panicking and thinking I had to do a store run. SMH. Then I realized that I wasn't drinking.

Anyone else experience similar dreams?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FacingFuture - I am on day 3 as well, and also experienced vivid dreams last night. I didn't think too much of it, though, since I've experienced vivid dreams most of my life. The bad part was that I was in a crowded bar, could barely move, it was after a race, and everyone kept handing me beer and shots.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
I had some crazy dreams for the first few days, one of which involved drinking. I'm on day 15 now, and the dreams are gone. I now have headaches in the morning (sometimes they wake me up) but they are nowhere near as bad as my hangovers, and they seem to be getting better as well.

I think your experience is not unusual.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, lots more vivid dreams. In my case, I'm not sure if it's due to quitting alcohol or pot or both. Fortunately, I haven't had any nightmares, though some have been more emotionally driven. No drinking dreams yet, but I've had them before when I quit for an extended period of time.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

from part 2

"Oh something I meant to ask. How do people feel when they see people drinking on tv/movies? I get a little pang sometimes if I see someone pour wine and think not fair. Everyone can do it but me. Or I imagine how it would taste. Does this stop after time I wonder? "

feel the same way & i hate it!!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys - I would like to join this class. I will be starting school, and I need to keep myself accountable/have a support group. I know I can get through the program if I stay sober. I want to stay focused and I appreciate the help.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
Hey guys - I would like to join this class. I will be starting school, and I need to keep myself accountable/have a support group. I know I can get through the program if I stay sober. I want to stay focused and I appreciate the help.
Welcome, ANewDayNYC! You will find a lot of support here. It's a great place to be 😊
Old 08-16-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsonthehorizon View Post
from part 2 "Oh something I meant to ask. How do people feel when they see people drinking on tv/movies? I get a little pang sometimes if I see someone pour wine and think not fair. Everyone can do it but me. Or I imagine how it would taste. Does this stop after time I wonder? " feel the same way & i hate it!!
I hate it, too. Anytime I see a glass of wine on TV I change the channel or look away. It's still to early for me.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
Hey guys - I would like to join this class.
Welcome!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsonthehorizon View Post
from part 2

"Oh something I meant to ask. How do people feel when they see people drinking on tv/movies? I get a little pang sometimes if I see someone pour wine and think not fair. Everyone can do it but me. Or I imagine how it would taste. Does this stop after time I wonder? "

feel the same way & i hate it!!
I didn't think I thought about it much during previous attempts at staying sober. But today I was watching a movie and there were people celebrating with alcohol. Making it look so fun. For a minute I was wistful, then I thought of the movie I watched last night in which a man became violent while drinking alcohol. I can see myself getting sucked into that wistful mindset too easily, s o will watch out for that. Try to keep fresh in my mind the cons of drinking and the myriad reasons I don't want to drink anymore.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 too but don't remember/haven't had any strange dreams yet but I'm sure they are coming.

Does anyone know about the Couch to 5k program? There is an android app, c25k that will train you to run a 5k at the end of 8 weeks. It is a walking/jogging program with 3 workouts a week. I finished day 1 of week 1 today. Search for C25k in play store and it is created by Zen Labs LLC.

I think there is also an iPhone app. Running is a great way to relieve stress and spend time recovering mind and body. I hope some of you will join me in training for a 5k and beyond!

I wrote down my plan for exercise, meals, work, and chores tomorrow. I will follow through! My plan includes checking in on SR forums.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome ANewDayNYC!

Ice water, I'll check it out. No promises about running any 5ks or anything. ��
Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

7 days... got thru the last 3 binge watching netflix - bored - and alcohol wasn't on my mind. shocking!

been sleeping well. strange thing though i wake up feeling drugged & dragging. lord knows i have years of sleep to catch up on. drinking, i averaged about 4 hrs & woke up wide awake though.

tomorrow must start some regular exercise. feeling less bloated is a good thing. but i have packed on some pounds i'm ashamed of. anybody ever just realize - holy crap i'm fat - like it happened overnight, not!!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Oh yeah. Night terrors are quite common during early sobriety. It's funny, because generally I only remember dreams for maybe 15 minutes after waking up, but I remember some of those night terrors from even months ago during withdrawals.

*shudders*
Old 08-16-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Day 9 for me -- sure was a long day today but I managed to get through it. This evening was tough. Wife is away with her sisters so I have the house to myself and was really longing for a "few" beers. Felt like I was walking past a crime scene when I went past the liquor aisle at the grocery store -- "just don't look, Russ. Nothing to see over there"

I had some real crazy dreams the first 3-4 days, but they've subsided.

Good for you on the running, Ice. I've been hitting the weights and getting back into that routine certainly helps on the days I do it. Relieves stress and provides a regimented routine with daily goals. Goals which are incompatible with drinking or being hung over.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
FacingFuture - I am on day 3 as well, and also experienced vivid dreams last night. I didn't think too much of it, though, since I've experienced vivid dreams most of my life. The bad part was that I was in a crowded bar, could barely move, it was after a race, and everyone kept handing me beer and shots.
I did, but it was about finding a kitten. Lol
I've had THE drinking dream many times tho
Old 08-17-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ANewDayNYC
D
Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome ANewDayNYC. Good to have you with us.

I am still having vivid dreams and waking early feeling unrested. This is something common to me and feeling broken hearted though. I can trace the pattern way back so it's hard to know how much it is the withdrawal and how much is the emotional upheaval.