Notices

Robby's Thread II

Old 05-23-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'd better make sure I get in before you're all mostly in bed. Finally a lovely sunny day here in (often) grey old Autumnal Melbourne! A fairly nippy 9 degrees Celsius - what's that, about 48 F? I hear all you veterans of super cold temps laughing your heads off. Robby, you can get your own back now, after I snorted a while back at your 'warm' temp of 68 F

Fab start to this crum[m]by, catty thread; thus far, as ever, it's

I second EndGame's observation that this entire discussion series could well serve as a kind of 'flagged' VIP trove of rich reading for reflection by interested newcomers in future. To be retrieved by others maybe long after our main author, and possibly some of us fellow travellers in Robby's Rambles, have shuffled off this mortal coil.

Rambles seemed really apt, when I was thinking about it this morning after my first reading. As in, (Jeni!) the lovely and ancient English notion of 'rambling' - over the countryside, up hill, to emerge on a sweeping vista, down dale, into the shady and sometimes dark, scary dells and forested glens....and so on. Unrelated to this directly, but in my usual 'by association' way of thinking in the pre-dawn especially: I'd also been reminded of a desire to re-watch, after many years, both 'Travels with My Aunt' and 'Voyage Around My Father', both wonderful English films. Hence, my train of thought segued into.....
'Rambling through Reality with Robby' or 'Robby's Rambles'.

Yes? I'm quite mad, you say? I've accepted that ::-):

Where are we going next, crummy cats? I'm along for the walk, wherever we go.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

haennie,
you're sunk.
totally, irrevocably smitten and done for.

hi Robby and Melissa and everyone.

no kernels of wisdom to add to the mix.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Thanks GroundhogDay for the reminder I'm so glad to be back home. And I'm glad whatever had you in hospital no longer does. I hope you are doing well.
I'm healthy now, but I had cancer. I did the whole surgery/chemo/radiation thing. I recommend taking all your medications on schedule, resting a lot, staying hydrated, and not stressing about anything else. I pretty much let go of everything else.

But it sounds like you are coping pretty well.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Usual addendum:
Oh, and there's also 'Tuesdays with Morrie' (only read the book), and I there was a later one too, whose name escapes me.

And: 'On Golden Pond'. 'Travelling North' (Aussie play, later film, with our own Leo McKern who's played Rumpole). The list of this genre could go on and on, down through the centuries. And you, Robby, Melissa, and us ramblers, are doing a virtual 21C version. Way cool! I hear you say. Best part is, we neither need nor require any literary or film awards or accolades; we can just 'sit down at a typewriter and bleed' ....and laugh, cry, gently tease, comfort each other's spirits across veritable oceans and continents. Sheesh.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

What's going on here? I'm glazed and confused.
Endgame, I am glad you finally found your way to the red pill.
I was reading through that first thread. I will give it another look for more of your backstory Rob. Discussing recovery methods all of a sudden hold no appeal for me anymore though. I don't know if that's good or bad. It seems to have happened very suddenly.
I noticed the date you started that, 3-3-2013. I remember that day very clearly because it was my 45th birthday and I was 3 weeks sober. I remember sitting at a restaurant: terrified, confused, depressed, and not sure how any of this was going to go. I was thinking if I could teleport some wisdom back to myself on week 3 from now I have no idea what that would be. A lot is about to change for me and I can't think of one single thing I would have done differently. I am about 6 weeks from trying to get drunk, 3 months from the worst 2 week PAWS episode known to man, 5 months from being sucked out of the rabbit hole but feeling like I am falling down it. 6 months from my aunt's sudden death, 8 months from realizing I was raised in a cult and trying to deprogram myself but thinking demons are going to get me for my evil thoughts, 14 months from becoming a caregiver for a few months to someone with a somatic disorder and 16 months from getting shunned by my mother because God loves me.
I wouldn't even warn myself. It couldn't have happened any differently.
It reminds me of that Rush song "Early Distant Warning"...I see the tip of the iceberg and I worry about you. I used to actually hear those lyrics in my head once in a while.
Speaking of Rush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSFqXGZ5TQ
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

A powerful story silentrun.
xx Vic
Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning Robby & Melissa
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
What's going on here? I'm glazed and confused.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I love how this thread meanders from topic to topic...it's like a collective consciousness.

Well I'm all in a dither today...my birthday (yay)...had a blackout drunk husband last night who smashed into my chest of drawers knocking everything precious to me flying (sigh)...had my darling Mum present me with a cheque for a sizeable sum of money that I know she can't afford and is going to be hurt when I say I can't accept it (eek)...I've got my wonderful kids taking me out for lunch today (heart swells)...and I'm another year older with a few more grey hairs.

I just can't sort out one emotion from another so I'm going to spend the afternoon eating chocolate . That helps most situations I find.

Vic..rambling through the English countryside is one of my most favourite things to do. I tried to upload a photo of my route home from work but it wouldn't load. Bloody computers.

Off to stuff my face with English delicacies..toad in the hole, and jam roly-poly.

Have a wonderful and serene Sunday everyone. Love to you all ❤️
Old 05-24-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, another year older is good
Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Jeni!!!! I have an outdoor wedding today. Weather is beautiful here. It's all good
Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good morning, Robby-folks!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

what a video, courage!
and weird, how i expected them to beat on each other as soon as the singing was done - strange half-buried memories of being asked to put on shows for others...

will be seeing sponsor-type person in an hour or so.
getting up there to the last couple of steps, though not done with the amends thing.
why am i mentioning this? because it's where i'm at. and because in my travels i've thought and hoped that taking THIS particular route might/will help me with the lemonade-making of which we see such a great chef here.

hm ja.

thank you.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good Sunday morning all and Happy Birthday Jeni!!

For some reason I can't view that video on my iPad so I have no idea what's going on around here!

All I know is that being sober allows me to to roll with the punches in a way I couldn't when I was drinking. A few months ago I was going about my life normally and anticipating my first half marathon. Today I rely on a wheelchair to get around, although I have been able to walk short distances with a walker the past few days (a big breakthrough!). My MS doesn't consult me about convenient times for flare ups unfortunately! Anyway....I can roll with this stuff now because I've got my wits about me and I can make a coherent plan as to how best to deal with this crud.

Thanks for sharing, silentrun. We're all dealing with our own stuff and dealing with it sober gives us an amazing edge!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Good morning, Robby-folks!
You should be able to see the video this way, brynn. If you really want to. It brings back slightly painful "Romper Room" memories. Anyone have those? That woman w/the eerie voice who could look through the mirror and see you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haX22t8Ngm0
Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks courage! I had to look up what Romper Room was ha!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

That witch never once said my name!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
That witch never once said my name!
Don't get me started on a rant, Della. You know I can do it.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Afternoon Friends!

Great to see all the posts and truly personal shares! It's always amazing the levels of actual support created in the giving and receiving amongst us all. I chose to sleep in this morning and actually sleep instead of just resting. I feel refreshed. Melissa and I will drive around and a bit of shopping. Its a sunny, windy, and warm.

I want to say I've had some strong emotional storms starting with the last few posts of "Authenticity III" and some select posts here. I welcome these storms, and even the hurts they reveal to me. Melissa was right close beside, and kept her hand on my chest as I made my way through. These experiences are everything. They are the real deal for me. And the hurts I feel are not only just my own, I also have empathy for others as I take in their shares, and this kind of reciprocal sharing brings it all home. There is healing in these shared hurts. Strong and plentiful. Our burdens are lighter when shared, as they should be of course.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum