Notices

Robby's Thread II

Old 05-23-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Lightbulb Robby's Thread II

Hello Friends.

This new thread is a direct continuation of the "Authenticity" threads as follows going from latest to earliest:

Part III
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...icity-iii.html

Part II
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ticity-ii.html

Part I
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...henticity.html

As well, this new thread is an indirect continuation of what has always been an important thread to me in my recovery experiences and ongoing fellowships here on SR. I'm happy to finally update and thereafter blend the original "Robby's Thread" of March 2013 found here:

Part I
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ys-thread.html

And so we continue in "Robby's Thread II" our remarkable conversations, experiences, insights, friendships, and fellowships.

Cheers!!

Old 05-23-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Good Morning!!
Very cold here at near 32F! Brrr!
Still sunny though

Had some excitement last night when my I.V. pump warned "low battery" by beeping three short bursts. I was half asleep. Melissa, who has named the pump "Pumpernickel" noticed it right away. I finally woke up enough to check, and yes, the battery needed to be changed out. So, you'd think I'd wake up and sit up enough to easily accomplish the simple but essential task?

No, I did not. I dumbly attempt to make do lying on my back, half asleep and fumbling around. And so of course, I lose the battery cover within the folds of our blankets. It's a king size bed too, lol. So now I fully wake up and we're searching for the little grey cover. No cover means no pumping action and this means nothing good, lol. Within a minute I found it about two feet away within the folds.

I guess for me this really brings home how technology and I are now inseparable going forward. This little robotic Pumpernickel enables me to be out of hospital. Such an essential freedom to be at home. We both shortly went back to sleep and Pumpernickel continued to robotically ensure I received my antibiotics same as always.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found Pumpernickel's cover

D
Old 05-23-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Morning all. I had a mini panic when I found your thread closed this morning. Participating in this journey has become very important to me, thanks to you all.

Thank goodness you found Pumpernickel Rob!

It's amazing how we can adapt so quickly and effortlessly sometimes to significant changes. I remember the first time my Dad had major facial surgery for oral cancer. He had changed physically beyond all recognition and I sat down with my then young children and explained how Grandad looked now so they wouldn't be scared. My daughter was aged about 6 at the time. When we went round to see him, he was hooked up to IV and had a gastrostomy to feed him via a tube in his stomach. I remember my daughter climbing onto his lap completely unperturbed, and she learnt how to set his feeding pump before any of us. I will always remember that.

You sound good Rob. Sending you hugs from across the big pond. I'm off to drive my new car shortly...exciting times. We have no money left of course, but hey, who needs to eat when you've got a shiny new red car sitting out the front?! Lol.

Have a happy peaceful relaxing day everyone 😘 x
Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks RobbyRobot!
I've always been a do it yourself kind of guy. I will drop what I'm doing to help anyone - build a deck, paint your house, repair a roof or car or whatever. But when it comes to myself, I never ask for help - unless I truly need it.

As for my "method of recovery" comma I just quit drinking.
Losing my job had such a profound effect on me in regard to my relationship with alcohol that I just up and quit.
Not to diminish alcohol's effect on me over the years that I really needed to quit, but I didn't feel I needed to quit when I did. I tried on handcuffs a few times and slept on a cold cement floor behind bars. I never 'got out' of my drinking and driving arrests. And a litany of things many of us all know too well. But at the time, I was still drinking and planning to drink - I just stocked up for the Christmas holidays.
Anywho...

After I served my mandatory rehab/iop and meetings. I was "on my own" again. I discovered sober recovery while searching for something to support my decision - and prove it to my wife - that meetings were a waste of my time. Then I discovered AVRT. I did the "crash course". That was my entire relationship with it. But it was at least some kind of "method" for me. I suppose to belong to a sort of group maybe.

I often hear (read) of people who claim to be devote atheists. Saying one is a devote atheist is an oxymoron in my way of thinking. Ponder that.
I suppose I fall under the religious and belief category of "none of the above".
Yes, I am atheist. But I'm certainly not devoted to it. I just don't care about any of that crap. I live every day and 'take it all in'. I care about my fellow man. But I don't go around proclaiming righteousness or trying to discourage anyone from their beliefs. I have very close friends who are double down Christians. Great, I support them. Actually I support everything except any doctrine that preaches hate and discontent. And I especially am against all who use religion as an excuse/reason to harm others.

Back to the topic. What topic?

I quit drinking. I just quit drinking because it damaged my family - wife.
And it damaged me. I was making a very good living and suddenly lost it all as they say. And it was because I used alcohol.
I will never again let alcohol have an effect on my life. I will not drink again.
That is the bottom line. I made a decision and I am sticking with it.

All those who told me I was not a "real" alcoholic because I just decided to quit have a lot to learn about "real" life.
And those who told me I will drink again unless I do A, B or C are disillusioned about themselves.

It was below 40 here last night. I guess I put on a flannel shirt and head out. Great day all.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pumpernickel lolol. Chilly here I need to mow and weed. I have been patiently waiting till 9 because not everyone gets up at 5 like me. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. So happy there is a new thread. I thought it was maybe your diplomatic way of dumping us. Me abandonment issues? Never lol. Xoxo
Old 05-23-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
So happy there is a new thread. I thought it was maybe your diplomatic way of dumping us. Me abandonment issues? Never lol. Xoxo
😂

Chuckled out loud at that one.
Think I felt the same
Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh gosh, those IV warning sounds go off constantly, particularly when you finally get to sleep. When I was in the hospital, I would get the one about the line being obstructed even though it wasn't. Glad you were able to resolve the problem and get back to sleep.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

With all the work it does for you Rob, maybe you should give it a raise and call it Pumperdollar?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you got pumpernickel squared away, Robby

It's beautiful weather here in the south today, cool outside for this time of year. I am going to finish up some work this morning, and then take the dogs to the park for a long walk.

Melissa & Robby, thanks for your thoughts in the last few posts on the previous thread. Maybe this is all bringing fresh to my mind and heart the ordeals with my grandmother's and mother's deaths. I was in denial for the length of my grandmother's cancer, and of course, shocked over my mom's tragic death by overdose. I don't do death well
Old 05-23-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
When we went round to see him, he was hooked up to IV and had a gastrostomy to feed him via a tube in his stomach. I remember my daughter climbing onto his lap completely unperturbed, and she learnt how to set his feeding pump before any of us. I will always remember that.
Yeah! Kids are usually so open-minded on things not being problems until things actually prove out to be problems. I know "being a kid" in many ways is still an important and even essential continuous experience in my life. My original "Authenticity" thread details much about such "kid" perspectives and experiences.

Glad to hear Jeni you and yours are enjoying that new car!! Awesome!!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I quit drinking. I just quit drinking because it damaged my family - wife.
And it damaged me. I was making a very good living and suddenly lost it all as they say. And it was because I used alcohol.
I will never again let alcohol have an effect on my life. I will not drink again.
That is the bottom line. I made a decision and I am sticking with it.

All those who told me I was not a "real" alcoholic because I just decided to quit have a lot to learn about "real" life.
And those who told me I will drink again unless I do A, B or C are disillusioned about themselves
LBrain. Thanks for the backstory. You've been "there" and I'm glad your well aware of your real history even as you continue to get on with advancing your sober living. What I have bolded can't be said too many times here on SR. Thanks for standing up. You know, those who choose to subjectively judge others by their own unfortunate experiences based on their own failed sobriety, or otherwise misinformed collective rhetoric, really are missing out on the more important qualities of living the good life sans alcohol and they remain in ignorance of the associated behaviors that went in hand with their own drinking and abusing of alcohol. They can't seem to see their own hand in their own dissatisfaction they project onto others. Whatever. It is what it is. I got nothing for it.

Cheers LBrain!!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Pumpernickel lolol. Chilly here I need to mow and weed. I have been patiently waiting till 9 because not everyone gets up at 5 like me. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. So happy there is a new thread. I thought it was maybe your diplomatic way of dumping us. Me abandonment issues? Never lol. Xoxo
Abandonment issues. Yeah. That alone is something worthy of direct discussion. Been there I have. Most of us on some level, I'm thinking. You know, being abandoned is always a scary knot to unravel is my experience. I know for myself, some such knots are better left as is, while others have been successfully opened and resolved. Best to choose these battles carefully...

Hey Della, I'm so awesomely glad you have a real measure of good humor in your life today, if not always, you know?

If we can't laugh, then all we got left is the tears. This would be entirely unacceptable, yeah?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Robby, and everyone! Here, and again.

I have a story I put in my profile here that I am interested in animals... Well, this "interest" now led me into a problem that I'll have to solve, and not only for myself.

I met someone in the conference I attended this week, who breeds Siamese cats, and she has a new litter just now. I wrote about my love of Siamese cats here on SR before... Anyhow, she was a local and I went to see the cats ~a week ago. Me and my psychiatrist friend from NYC I ended up lying on the floor playing with the cats.

And there is this kitty who keeps coming to me... even when his mother grabs him and takes him back to their nest (it's a wonderful large room actually, my new cat breeder friend really has everything possible for the animals). We let this kitty rest on my belly, for an hour or so. There were other people coming in from the conference (it was sort of a party), and I just lay there on the carpet with the kitten.

My psychiatrist friend urged me later to go back another time to play with the cats, and we did. I sit down on the floor, and this same kitty comes to me almost immediately, even though the mommy cat was nursing them. So, same scene yesterday, me and this little thing resting on me.

Kitties are ~3 week old and it will be a few more weeks to wean them safely. My friend and I will travel more this weekend, but he tells me/us to try to figure out all the complications necessary to transport a cat from Asia to America, and probably everywhere else...
Oh my..., and we'll see.

Btw
Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

If we can't laugh, then all we got left is the tears. This would be entirely unacceptable, yeah?
I'd rather have laugh-lines than frown-lines!

Good morning y'all!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Abandonment issues. Yeah. That alone is something worthy of direct discussion. Been there I have. Most of us on some level, I'm thinking. You know, being abandoned is always a scary knot to unravel is my experience. I know for myself, some such knots are better left as is, while others have been successfully opened and resolved. Best to choose these battles carefully...

Hey Della, I'm so awesomely glad you have a real measure of good humor in your life today, if not always, you know?

Yeah
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Oh gosh, those IV warning sounds go off constantly, particularly when you finally get to sleep. When I was in the hospital, I would get the one about the line being obstructed even though it wasn't. Glad you were able to resolve the problem and get back to sleep.
Totally!

I had like three of those lousy hospital infusion pumps all hooked up to three lines into my I.V. "Upstream Occlusion" was a regular fault. The things would sound off stupidly. Nurse would come in and reset it and jiggle the lines around.

The pump we have here is really superior to the hospital pumps. Pumpernickel hasn't failed us yet with weirdness. It's worth 5K+ and I had to sign off on the replacement cost. Don't drop it. Don't get it wet. Yeah, okay, lol.

Thanks GroundhogDay for the reminder I'm so glad to be back home. And I'm glad whatever had you in hospital no longer does. I hope you are doing well.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

We had a crash course on IV pumps and the like when our daughter was born and spent the first few weeks of her life in a neonatal intensive care unit. She's 23 now, can't believe how fast that time passed and at the same time how long ago it seems.
We were unaware of her birth defects during my wife's pregnancy. Our local hospital sent us immediately to CHOP and the beginning of quite a journey. She has spina bifida and other complications, the doctors' prognosis about her survivability was rather realistic and grim. In retrospect I see they were teaching us how to care for immediate comfort and didn't expect her to make it. They released us when she stabized and basically wished us well.
I remember considerable talk of pic line /g-tube placements due to their belief she won't have sufficient suckle response and at first it seemed they were right, but she's a tough nugget and proved everyone wrong. Her first bottle went down once Mom was able to get to the hospital, practically had to tie her down for at least twelve hours after her emergency c-section, guess where my daughter gets her nugget ness, lol.
They sent us home after a few weeks despite a rather significant exterior sac , a giant bulbousy growth from accumulated spinal fluids from the myelomeningocele. I think the doctors opinion was that she wouldn't survive corrective surgery at the time , and that an infection would most likely take her in the near term. Again she proved them wrong, she thrived despite everything.
Point being , she has That spark that drive to go against the odds and just keep going.
I'm trying to forgive myself for not using feeling, looking for that in myself, but I am now finally trying, robby, you never were a mailman down in the states ? She looks like me, but acts like you!
Your story and shares are so inspirational, your attitude is infectious, thank you and I hope you enjoy This day, and The Misses
Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
I'd rather have laugh-lines than frown-lines!

Good morning y'all!
Awesome!!!