Notices

AA Alternatives

Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sent you a Private Message OP
;-)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow you guys he specifically said do not try to change his mind about aa and yet that what's the majority of posters are posting about. I am sure he is aware of how aa works , let's help him find other choices.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Followers trying to change my mind about AA and religion was the most offensive thing about AA when I was struggling to get sober.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Getting sober." It consists of not drinking and then doing everything in life to support that decision.

AA not necessary. No formal program is necessary. Don't pour the stuff into your mouth - and prosper.

Find what works for you by doing whatever it takes to not drink. Full stop.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
No formal program is necessary.
That falls in the "Don't ware your seatbelt" and "It's OK to run with scissors" category from my perspective.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
That falls in the "Don't ware your seatbelt" and "It's OK to run with scissors" category from my perspective.

Well, good thing we all have different perspectives eh?

I got sober with no formal program, as did thousands and thousands of other people, many of which post regularly on this very forum

The OP was asking for alternatives to AA. AA has helped tons of people, there is no doubting that. AA is an awesome program that people find success in, however it is not for everybody and trying to convince someone who does not necessarily want to pursue AA to keep trying AA can be detrimental.

Why not try and stay on topic of the OP's thread and help him out with the question at hand?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
SMART Recovery.
This.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Please stay on topic folks and keep personal arguments out of the discussion.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

OP----

Rational Recovery
SMART Recovery
LifeRing

These are just a few alternatives to AA. All of them have thousands of people who got sober using their methods!

Again AA has helped many, in fact it helped me a bit when I first started on my sober journey, but it is not for everyone. Not even close. So maybe try another AA meeting or two? See if you can maybe attempt the steps or come away with some positive ideas regardless of your higher power issue.
But do not feel pressured or feel that if you do not "do AA" its akin to "running with scissors" or you are setting yourself up for failure . Maybe take a little of each program? Take some ideas from AA, some ideas from RR, Smart, etc etc. That is what I did as well as apply my own personal christian beliefs.

Everyone here is passionate about their method and how they got sober. Whichever "method" they chose, essentially saved their life so I understand the passion in suggesting and "defending" their program...however, with that being said we all need to be careful and realize that whatever works for us does not always work for everyone.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
This.
Do you go to the SMART group meetings BH, or is it an online thing for you?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Do you go to the SMART group meetings BH, or is it an online thing for you?
Twice a week. Online thing won't ever work.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
I got sober with no formal program, as did thousands and thousands of other people, many of which post regularly on this very forum

The OP was asking for alternatives to AA.
I got lots of friends is AA who got sober with no formal program. They did in fact get some results with that. They key word is "some". Some does not cut it in the long run. They had to suffer a whole new bottom and now they work a "formal program".

The OP was asking for "alternatives". NO formal program fits the NULL set of alternatives.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I got lots of friends is AA who got sober with no formal program. They did in fact get some results with that. They key word is "some". Some does not cut it in the long run. They had to suffer a whole new bottom and now they work a "formal program".

The OP was asking for "alternatives". NO formal program fits the NULL set of alternatives.

Ok so what alternatives to AA can you offer the OP? After all, we are trying to help him out with his question/thread right?

Let's try and help him and offer suggestions eh?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
Ok so what alternatives to AA can you offer the OP? After all, we are trying to help him out with his question/thread right?

Let's try and help him and offer suggestions eh?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Here is a quick list, you would have to google your area though:
SMART, SOS, Lifering, Refuge Recovery, AVRT (no meetings), Women For Sobriety.
And here is a post to get you started
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Anyways.... not to be deterred

OP have you had a chance to check out any of the other forums around here? Are you still here lol?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Here is a quick list, you would have to google your area though:
SMART, SOS, Lifering, Refuge Recovery, AVRT (no meetings), Women For Sobriety.
And here is a post to get you started
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Nice!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad you found some help Weave!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm well over three years without a drink and I personally have found that not drinking, day by day, builds it's own momentum. I did not use AA. I hated AA people when I was a drunk but felt like they had my back once I started down the road of sobriety. My program is to never ever drink. It gets easier. Read and post here at SR. Sobriety is awesome.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I'm well over three years without a drink and I personally have found that not drinking, day by day, builds it's own momentum. I did not use AA. I hated AA people when I was a drunk but felt like they had my back once I started down the road of sobriety. My program is to never ever drink. It gets easier. Read and post here at SR. Sobriety is awesome.
lol. Just reminded me of a guy who came up to me after a meeting and said "You know I used to really hate you. You seemed so happy, I was so miserable. Now I see what you were talking about". One of the nicest things anyone ever said to me.

I suppose honesty would be a big thing in answering the OPs question, and that might mean sticking to my direct experience. The nature of my recovery program brings me into contact with a lot of alcoholics. They either stay with AA or go off and try something of their own.

Some must be successful, I count successful as over five years (one of the AMA criteria for stable recovery), but in that time, we lose contact. A lot are not successful and our paths cross again in the rehabs and detox wards.

In an earlier post I listed some of the things I tried but they were not successful. A wee while back I spent a little time researching/hoping to find some solid track record for other methods on this site. Not all who come here state their sobriety date, which obviously skewed the result, but in all honesty I could only point the OP to two individual regular posters here who have met the AMA criteria by alternative methods. If I went to the Salvation Army recovery church I could probably find a few more.

That's the truth from my experience. Of course I am talking about chronic hopeless alcoholics. It is a progressive disease and I am sure many many get off lift before it descends to the basement and I would never get to meet them.

What I would really like to see is some documented research on some of these other methods, so I could then be reasonably truthful if I was to claim high recovery rates. If I was the OP I would like to know how succesful these methods are, which might help me make an informed choice.