Notices

AA Alternatives

Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Alternatives

I'll be straight, I'm about as atheist as it gets. Please don't try to change my mind; it won't work. Anyways, I've read about AA and their twelve step program and I'm aware that religion plays somewhat of a role in it. The problem is I just can't accept a higher power and pretending to isn't going to help me. My question is this.

Does anyone know of a non-religious alternative to AA? Thanks for any information.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

That's a US list but most of the main players will be in Ontario too

There's quite a few to choose from
D
Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hey Ben, most folks get sober without recourse to a 'formal program of recovery', including the one you mention.

If you want to do it, and have everything that a life free of hangovers and sickness and depression and anxiety and shame and guilt, you most certainly can.

Are you ready to decide for good about continuing to use alcohol? When you come to that tipping point, a lot of options open for you.

Stick around, lots of support here for you. Drop in to the Secular Connections forum too, OK?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Lots of people do AA without the religion or god stuff. There is an entire forum just for that:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...step-recovery/
Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey OP

There are many ways to get sober that don't involve AA. I didn't "use AA" to get sober in fact.
I originally went to the meetings, and while I enjoyed the comradery and being able to relate to others "like me" it actually did more harm than good. For Me.

So I found alternative methods. Don't be turned away from an AWESOME life of sobriety because you cannot relate to AA. There are many other tools out there. While there are definitely some who get sober with AA and find it life changing and life saving, even more people are able to and DO get sober without it.

Browse around the other forums on this site. "What is Recovery " and "Secular Connections" are wonderful. Even feel free to post questions and observations in this very forum!

Take care (-:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are a ton of people in AA with view similar to your own. Don't decide something won't work for you before you give it a chance.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
Hey OP

There are many ways to get sober that don't involve AA. I didn't "use AA" to get sober in fact.
I originally went to the meetings, and while I enjoyed the comradery and being able to relate to others "like me" it actually did more harm than good. For Me.

So I found alternative methods. Don't be turned away from an AWESOME life of sobriety because you cannot relate to AA. There are many other tools out there. While there are definitely some who get sober with AA and find it life changing and life saving, even more people are able to and DO get sober without it.

Browse around the other forums on this site. "What is Recovery " and "Secular Connections" are wonderful. Even feel free to post questions and observations in this very forum!

Take care (-:
Weaver,
I am curious as to what program of recovery you follow, as you seem to be pretty stable and strong in your recovery? I am just curious.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Ben,

AA has these steps, twelve of them. The second one can be thought of as chosing a method of recovery. It goes "Came to believe that a Power greater than our selves could restore us to sanity". I underlined the could because we are only looking at the possibility at this stage.

From your post I suspect your answer to the question "do I now believe or am I even willing to believe the same power that worked for all those people could work for me too?" would be an emphatic no! And fair enough. Such a view might well be a self fulfilling prophesy, AA may not be for you.

Next comes the question, Well, what do I believe will restore me to sanity?
I tried a lot of things and a lot of things were tried on me. Hee are some of the things I tried.

A geographical shift to get away from bad influences.
A new Job
A fresh start
A court order not to drink for twelve months - was effective for a little over 12 minutes.
A stay in an institution/rehab followed by
Not drinking. That worked up until I completed my sentence.
Counselling.. And I mean a really good counsellor whom I tried really hard to cooperate with.
A new girlfriend.
No girlfriend
Taking a course of study
Other folks would throw in exercise but I was never much of a fan for that.
Then there was the family doctor of course.

Those were a few things that I thought would sort me out. They didn't.
There will be a lot of useful suggestions on this site, and I suggest you check them all out, something is bound to catch your interest.

But if all else fails, AA will be there if you need it. For me it was the absolute last resort.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I know you probably didn't want to hear a bunch of people defending AA, but keep it in the back of your mind *in case* you decide to give it another try in the future. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other methods and programs.

But, I'm also in Ontario and the AA groups I've attended don't preach any kind of religion on anybody. 'God', 'Higher Power' are to be interpreted by the individual in any way they choose. For me, they represent my recovery program.

Anyhow, best wishes!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Ben

I've been using weekly therapy, this site, and a lifestyle plan including daily exercise, writing, meditation, healthy diet (no caffeine), all in an effort to reduce my anxiety level - one of the root causes of my drinking. And it's kept me off the juice for nearly 5 months.

Therapy has really made the difference for me because, while lifestyle change is imperative for sobriety, so too is addressing the underlying reasons that compel my drinking behavior. I've never been to AA, but I am reading the Big Book right now and it is very insightful. It offers me some talking points in therapy without getting wrapped up in a religious discussion. Very helpful for this lapsed Catholic.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.

As stated there are many methods to get sober. AA has helped millions, including me and I’m not a religious person what so ever tho I do believe in my Higher Power as being my guide.

Whatever method is chosen the common reason for failure is peoples lack of focus. After we feel/get better we have a tendency to forget what should be our top priority, sobriety/recovery, and slowly slid down our path that got us here and perhaps never able to get sober time again.

Make no mistake, this getting and staying sober requires work and change to keep it.

BE WELL
Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SMART Recovery.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
Hey OP

If you don`t mind my asking: Why do you feel AA was more harmful than beneficial in your experience?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkOlBen View Post
I'm aware that religion plays somewhat of a role in it.
Actually it involves spirituality, not religion. There is a difference.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only requirement for AA is a desire to stay sober.
Take what you need and leave the rest.
I got sober with AA,and there are a lot of things I don't exactly agree with. But for me it was really the easiest ,and best way to get help. I just went,and tried not to rock the boat too much. The main thing that helped me was being around other people going through the same thing.

Fred
Old 05-15-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
Take what you need and leave the rest.
I got sober with AA,and there are a lot of things I don't exactly agree with. But for me it was really the easiest ,and best way to get help. I just went,and tried not to rock the boat too much. The main thing that helped me was being around other people going through the same thing.

Fred
That's pretty much what I've done.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My cousin for many years now has been leading what is called, "Overcomers". So many good things that work so as to help us get and stay sober. Yes, it's a very long list.
MM
Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would expect changes, massive changes.
Open your mind.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post

The main thing that helped me was being around other people going through the same thing.
Seven years sober and I still go to AA a couple of times a week.
Many of my old friends there are also still sober.
Newcomers remind me of me and how it was.

Most all there are either looking to
escape from or stay away from the liquid devil.

MM
Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
Actually it involves spirituality, not religion. There is a difference.

Absolutely in some cases.However The meetings I went to (tried 4 separate ones) always started and ended the meeting with the "our father " prayer