Notices

Contemplating AA At Day 14

Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for all this excellent input!

There is definitely more work for me to do than to just not drink. I have to grow up, catch up on the emotional/social/spiritual growth I've missed out on in the last 25 years. And, clean up the clutter of unfinished business and other mess left in the wake of my drinking.

Growing is a part of every healthy person's life. It's ABNORMAL not to be growing. I love AA's 12 Steps as a sort of "Applied Spirituality." After decades of dormancy, it will take conscious effort and practice to learn how to grow again and AA helps with this.

Having had cancer (a disease), it's hard for me to draw a parallel between cancer and alcoholism. Both require intervention in order not to progress. So does tax delinquency, but tax delinquency is not a disease. On the other hand, alcoholism is way more than a garden-variety bad habit. It has a life, almost a consciousness, of its own. I don't need to understand alcoholism to know that I must never drink again. Whether it's a disease, whether it's genetic, etc. are all academic questions to me. For whatever reason, I cannot drink safely.

For the time being, I need the support and program of AA. But I dream of a day that managing my alcoholism is not a daily affair. Not in order to drink again, but to free up my heart and mind to fully re-engage with life.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Repeating, "I'm an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic." This cannot be a good thing, can it? Someday I'd like to say, "I used to have a drinking problem but since I no longer drink, it's no longer a problem" and move on to the next topic -- something about life, interests, hopes, dreams, plans.
I like to say "I no longer suffer from alcoholism."

Doesn't mean that I am cured though. I still have the organs and brain chemistry of a alcoholic past.

However, I no longer think about drinking. I no longer think about not-drinking. I no longer struggle One-Arduous-Day-At-A-Time nor do I worry about relapsing if I miss a few months worth of meetings.

I have experienced a spiritual awakening that liberated me from all thoughts of alcohol - root and branch. Today I live a new lifestyle ODAAT that results in a whole new way of thinking. A way of thinking that is free of addictive thoughts or temptation.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
IOAA2, did you even read my post? I clearly stated that I was speaking for myself. I do not need a daily routine to keep me from drinking. If you are talking about ways I improve my life, that's different. I have some routines in place that help create the kind of life I want, but those routines have nothing to do with not drinking. I will repeat what I already said, I acknowledge and respect that you need a daily routine, but when you say things like you say in the quote below, it leaves me scratching my head and wondering...who is "we"?

Originally Posted by IOAA2
We need to be reminded that stopping drinking is not the end of our dis ease, it is progressive then miserable living if we drink or not.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got many of my terminology being sober and active in AA for many years where WE never consider being addicted to alcohol in the past tense. We need to own it even if we don’t like it. The first drink gets us drunk.

The WE is used for alcoholics in general like WE cannot drink alcohol in safety or WE must be honest with ourselves about our drinking as many alcoholics haven’t graduated from honesty classes.

The AA program is a WE program, we help each other being members which is very satisfying for all parties.

BE WELL
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've recovered from alcoholism by not drinking. You are too but if AA helps you believe that then go. I found the opposite to be true.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
IOAA,
I get a great deal of satisfaction from helping people too. There is a difference between a desire to help others, and a need to help others as a condition of my abstinence from alcohol.

In fact, it was my desire to support the OP that led me to post. I wanted the OP to know that yes indeed, it is possible to live a happy, permanently abstinent life without a program or support group. I'm not advocating that as "The way to do it"...the OP stated they enjoy and wish to continue attending AA and I think that's great. Why would they, or should they stop at this juncture?

But since the OP clearly asked "What are your thoughts on this?" I answered with um, well...my thoughts on this. I just want the OP to know that there are people (I am one) who do not identify with the idea of being "in recovery" for a lifetime. There is nothing to fear in being confident with permanent abstinence, at least not for me. Once again, I will state the obvious (as I always do) that of course I recognize and respect that there are other views...and this is mine: I do not have a daily reprieve; I have a lifetime reprieve.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

it leaves me scratching my head and wondering...who is "we"?
It leaves me scratching my head why anyone would come to a RECOVERY web site and suggest "We don't need to do anything."

Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Putting words in someone's else's mouth is weak. Read for comprehension for once, boleo.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
It leaves me scratching my head why anyone would come to a RECOVERY web site and suggest "We don't need to do anything."
To share the 'secret' with others that many can recover from addiction by ceasing consumption of addictive substances, and that there are good tools available to help us achieve that. To offer proof that it happens and happens frequently. It is indeed a powerful and empowering message, Boleo.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I do not need a daily routine to keep me from drinking. If you are talking about ways I improve my life, that's different. I have some routines in place that help create the kind of life I want, but those routines have nothing to do with not drinking.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. I thought you said

"I do not need a daily routine to keep me from drinking. If you are talking about ways I improve my life, that's different. I have some routines in place that help create the kind of life I want, but those routines have nothing to do with not drinking.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

To share the 'secret' with others that many can recover from addiction by ceasing consumption of addictive substances.
No "secret" involved. Some people stop before they reach the alcoholism stage. I guess I could go to a cocaine addiction web site and brag about how I quit using. I used maybe 6 times in 10 years - when I came to the conclusion that it was an unhealthy habit. Stopped on a dime after that.

Guess that makes me a expert - right?

:
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You get to call yourself whatever you choose Boleo. You don't get to speak from authority on others' conditions. No True Scotsman can quit drinking without blah blah blah. Sorry, no true alcoholic...I can only pray, and I do, Boleo, that you can recognize this fallacy in your argument. If you can't, I have failed and your implication is simply distasteful and perverse.

I quit a cocaine 'habit' too that apparently had me regularly hoover up my nose in an evening what you did in a lifetime. Let's not do this thing OK?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

You get to call yourself whatever you choose Boleo.
If I could simply "choose" to stop drinking and make it stick;

1. I would not call myself an "alcoholic"
2. I would not peruse a "Recovery" web site
3. I would not give advice to those who are still "struggling"

But hey, I can only speak for myself - right?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

But hey, I can only speak for myself - right?
Dang it all, you sure keep trying otherhow, dontcha.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Dang it all, you sure keep trying otherhow, dontcha.
How long is it going to take you to figure out that your easy road to success sounds like "bragging" to a repeat relapser like me? It's almost as if you come to a recovery web site to pour salt in the wounds of those who struggle (just my guess).

I have never been to a NA meeting but I am willing to bet they would not appreciate my telling them how easy it was for me to stop. From what I have heard about them, they would eject me like a cannon ball.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm me. I'm a human being who used to drink way to much and suffered the consequences. I don't see it as a disease an ism or anything other than a misguided bad choice that turned into physical addiction and a mental compulsion. Completely my bad. Won't make any excuses for something I controlled (until it was out of control) Took a while to wade through all the recovery clutter but it really comes down to drinking and suffering with the carnage, or embracing life as it really is and moving on as you see fit.

Just my take. What ever works for you.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't read this as anyone saying their path is easy, I read it as different. Stop drinking and stay stopped are both the goal, one can use AA and the 12 steps or work on themselves with their own self development plan. There are lots of resources out there.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by LaTraviata View Post

However, I want someday for my life to no longer be about alcohol -- either consuming it or obsessively celebrating my sobriety. I want to be done with it, pick up my bed and walk forward in life.

"What you think about expands." I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking about alcohol, and I'm worried AA may promote alcohol obsession.

Repeating, "I'm an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic." This cannot be a good thing, can it? Someday I'd like to say, "I used to have a drinking problem but since I no longer drink, it's no longer a problem" and move on to the next topic -- something about life, interests, hopes, dreams, plans.
My alcoholism as being an illness of mind, body, and spirit, isn't itself problematic for me when in remission. Likewise, I don't have requirements to refer to myself as an alcoholic to sustain my recovery. Nor either must I declare I *use to have* a drinking problem but since I don't drink anymore, its no longer a problem. How I may best speak about myself is for me to decide for my own purposes.

And so I believe it is irresponsible of any of us to make claims of labels *necessarily* making or breaking anybody's opportunities for success in life after quitting drinking. Labels only have whatever weight and conditional importance one allows. It's not an automatic inherent negative. My being a recovered alcoholic drug addict speaks for itself on many levels.

Others who may take exception to my being recovered from my alcoholism because of their own labelling concerns for themselves create their own selfish projections, and is importantly not my business. I couldn't care any less whatever one does or doesn't claim for themselves while they successfully quit or even don't quit drinking. When they apply their misgivings of same upon me, its of no consequence to my ongoing success.

Those who like to argue their own position as being *more enlightened then others chosen positions* are really just soapboxing their own rhetoric. They perhaps satisfy themselves in their own journey's, but it's hardly clever or inspirational, imo.

I don't see AA as promoting an obsessional life enslaved with alcoholic ideations. I do see AA promoting alcoholism as an illness, and promoting spirituality as key in keeping the said alcoholism in lifetime remission. Its not for everybody, and doesn't aspire to be either. AA is best for those who chose to be AA, and dramatically less so for those who choose otherwise. It isn't helpful for anybody to claim AA doesn't work as a viable choice for others simply because it doesn't work well for themselves. One size doesn't fit all, and isn't even expected too either by any stretch of reasonableness.

Congrats on your early days of sobriety LaTraviata.

I suggest you have no lasting concerns about labels of alcoholic or alcoholism. As you recover and become recovered, you will simply be too much involved in your successful life to care about labelling. And of course, if you eventually refer to yourself as just somebody who doesn't drink anymore, this too you won't much care about either as you come to enjoy your success in life. Either way, you'll eventually be as free as you make for yourself. Such responsibility is ours to own for ourselves.

I find these comparative threads a bit humorous, as if things of great essential importance are being shared and discovered for the absolute welfare of others. Nonetheless, such personalities-before-principals discussions are worthy for their own limited sake in *early* recovery, imo. I've been sober many years now, and take it from me you'll soon have opportunity to realize your own life after quitting is far more interesting than whatever terms are bandied back and forth amongst others. You also realize some other folks just want a one size fits all philosophy even as they argue they don't, lol.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Whoever maintains permenent abstinance, dies sober, and is relatively content with their life can say with certainty their method works.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys please -

If you have something to add to the discussion or help the OP, please do.

If you have a personal disagreement with someone - take it to PM

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 03-25-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: forum blindness - not newcomers