Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

% - percentage of my sobriety owed to this site ?

Notices
View Poll Results: % percentage this site is used to reinforce my sobriety
0 %
9.92%
1 - 5 %
7.54%
6 - 10 %
5.56%
11 - 25 %
10.71%
26 - 40 % %
9.92%
41 - 60 %
13.89%
61 - 85 %
16.67%
higher that 86 %
25.79%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

% - percentage of my sobriety owed to this site ?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post

The title doesn't match the question underneath
Very true and I think that this thread is a very good example of what happens when one wakes up way too early in the morning and drinks far too many cups of coffee and then post a new thread without proper proof reading before posting. Slightly misguided with good intentions.

MM
Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I credit my (former) counselor and SR equally with helping me get and stay sober. I no longer have counseling but come here every day.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Edit - Oops, I guess I posted in the wrong forum as mine was about quitting weed. I said over 86%.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think I'd made the jump if it not for SR and all of you here, I'm going to say 75%
This place definitely keeps me going!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wackybunny: that is classic!

50% SR 50% me
SR saved my marriage, career and probably my health/life..!

I'd already tried everything else aside from rehab.

Dee and the April "Lionhearted" Fools have been without doubt the best therapy I've ever had.
Without them I'm not sure I would have come this far, coming up to a year!

Eternal thanks!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'd say 90%. I was logged in here, reading voraciously for probably 12-16 hours a day the first week. (I was on summer vacation). On my first vacation I was on here on my phone in the hotel room. Hotel rooms, traveling, and ice machines were a HUGE trigger for me.

I log in here every single day to just keep my head in the right place.

I have read every single one of the Stories of Recovery. There are certain ones that I reread regularly. There are certain stories I've probably read 25 times.

If a newcomer reading this, read the Stories of Recovery section.

I find that posting five times a day is a good habit to get into. And who knows? You might even help somebody else! It's a win-win.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

SR is one of my basic tools. It was a huge help in the first 3-6 months, really relied upon it to save my sanity. Now it's part of my daily practice. Not so heavy but still important !
Old 03-12-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
You and I both, SunKing... 100 today for both of us. How about that?
Didn't realize that- congrats. Triple digits until 1000 days.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

In the first month or so, this website was my only source of info and help. Then (thanks to advice and support from people on here) I got myself to AA where I got another load of help. Also, while I was going through my barely-existing / functioning dry-drunk stage, my boss referred me for independent help. I have been SO fortunate this last year it's unreal. (Not that it's been easy, and I haven't always enjoyed listening to advise when it wasn't what I wanted to hear - but that's part of the learning hey!)
Old 03-13-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Now that I hardly go to AA any more, this site is where I check in to maintain sobriety.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I can't begin to express my gratitude enough how helpful this site has been to my recovery. I read every single day and have learned so much from others experiences.

When I began this journey I really didn't understand much about alcoholism, I just knew I always had a problem controlling my drinking.

I have spent my life moving from one "quick fix" or "high" my entire life. New job, new relationship, new city, etc. Yet nothing every satisfied me and would always return to drinking.

Everyone here has taught me that drinking is a "symptom" and that the real problems are within me. For the first time in my life I've stopped running.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

God 60% must always be the main One acknowledged
SR 30%
AA 10%

The above are not exact figures, but I do enjoy giving things such as this some deep thought on an early Saturday morning 4:35 AM.

MM
Old 03-17-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I voted 'more that 86%' because it's staggering what I didn't know about drinking and alcoholism before I came upon this site in 2009. I think I was googling 'do I have a drinking problem?' when I found this site. I read and read and read until I realized I was just like these folks and yes, I had a problem. Logging in here and reading and joining the monthly groups has helped me immensely and gave me strength and resolve when I needed it most. I'm so, so grateful for this site and for the people who use it.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

the kindom of God is in our hearts

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
God 60% must always be the main One acknowledged
SR 30%
AA 10%

The above are not exact figures, but I do enjoy giving things such as this some deep thought on an early Saturday morning 4:35 AM.

MM
God(group of drunks) 100%

SR(group of drunks) 100%

AA(group of drunks) 100%

This works for me, because I am a drunk who does not drink alcohol or ingest any mood altering substances.

Jesus said, "the kingdom of God is in your hearts".

Thanks for the thought provoking thread Bob.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

One of the greatest feelings I got from forums, here and WQD is that I'm not alone. I'm not insane. We are millions.
That's it. I depend on only one thing to maintain sobriety, the man in the mirror.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

SR has been integral in my sobriety. I wish I had found this site the first time I went through this years ago!
I don't utilize any other program like AA or anything, it's basically just been counselling, SR and a whole lotta determination and hard work.
I log on here everyday. Even on weekends when I don't post much, I still lurk and read. This site has held me more accountable than I ever imagined an internet board could.
Very grateful for SR and the MODS who run this show. *claps*
Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Its been an awsome tool so far.

I've been trying to stay sober without AA help, here I have found support in the darkest moments.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

For me it's been Team SR all the way!!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If I start thinking too much how sober stats and what has helped how much, I go down a weird path.

Should I do this less or more, does xyz really work - do I give enough credit to each part of what I do?????

That's me, I am crazy........

The sober mosaic for me is fluid - sometimes I go to more or less meetings and sometimes I read/post more or less. I try to be driven by the spirit and just let it flow.

Glad I am here today on SR, it is indeed an amazing resource and I am 100% in when I'm in!!

Thanks MM for all your fine contributions!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I became sober before the internet by way of AA, the only show in town. I’ve been very active there in general and particularly with newcomers which is rewarding when years later people would thank me for helping them.

Today I like to offer my ESH from my past experiences with sobriety which too often becomes bad news concerning relapses and the horrible results.

For me SR offers hope for all and some forgotten pearls from the past I need to hear.

BE WELL