Notices

Almost 3 Weeks In, Honeymoon Over?

Old 01-22-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 3 Weeks In, Honeymoon Over?

So, I'm 18 days into recovery, which I realize is still super early. But, it seems like in recent days my anxiety and stomach issues that were improving markedly, have done a 180 this weekend and started to get worse.

Is this something that others have experienced?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's common for some people to have withdrawal symptoms for weeks before it goes away, but then also for people to experience resurgence in some symptoms months later. Talk to your doctor/recovery peeps, search here and elsewhere on the web, and be prepared for this sort of thing, but know of course that it does pass. It took me a couple of months before I fully felt back in my skin, and then I've had minor off feelings for months after quitting, sometimes feeling worse in short spurts of increased anxiety and fatigue for a week or two at a time.

It only gets easier for the most part in my experience, but we need to be aware that these things can happen and it sucks but it doesn't last, otherwise you're more likely to get knocked on your butt when these times hits and start to crave.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I had a lot of anxiety that early. I have five months. I've had a lot of ups and downs with anxiety. We still have emotional fluctuations, everyone does, we are just learning how to cope with them sober. One thing I had to learn was that anxiety was irrational fear of something unknown.. I didn't know how my first day of a job was gonna go, or I how I would do on an exam or what someone else was thinking. And I learned to breathe, and either calmly wait for things to happen, or make them happen where I could. Action alleviates a lot of anxiety. When there is nothing you can do to change a situation, you still have to do SOMETHING: go for a walk, clean the house, get chores and errands done, exercise. Burn off the energy while you're waiting.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As for your stomach issues, you mean like gastritis? Omeprazole, avoid acidic foods.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Depression and fear are part of early recovery and very common. I found that the longer I was away from a drink the worse it got, and I would drink again. Then I took a different tack, got into a good program and started doing the things I needed to do in order to recover.

In those circumstance I can tell you the honeymoon lasted about two years, lots of big changes, new discoveries, getting back into life, it was fantastic. Then, after two years, it just kept getting better
Old 01-23-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be great if recovery was a straight lone but that wasn't my experience, at least not initially - I had good periods and not so good.for a while...

I kept the faith tho - I stayed sober, kept working on myself - and eventually things got to a new level of consistency, a new 'normal'.

From then on it was a lot easier

D
Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You'll most likely have ups and downs, that's life. Learning how to deal with them sober, that's the key.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RealSLC12 View Post
So, I'm 18 days into recovery, which I realize is still super early. But, it seems like in recent days my anxiety and stomach issues that were improving markedly, have done a 180 this weekend and started to get worse.

Real life is my honeymoon now.

I've had ups and downs physically in the 11 months (yesterday) that I have been sober. I went through withdrawal then significant PAWS. Eventually things evened out and I consider myself a healthy 40 year old with what are basically 40 year old "problems."

Not drinking and working a strong program, plus focus on sleep, nutrition and finally exercise (running) as I was able (along with working an active job)....keep me going.

As I've said often around here, my crappiest day sober is much (MUCH) better than any day drinking.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It could be your body having another series of withdrawals. I would look at your eating, fluid intake (caffeine), exercise program, etc. to see if you notice a reason for the symptoms. I remember falling off the pink cloud into reality. It was gut wrenching and painful but it woke me up to work my program. Many prayers and keep coming back
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
As for your stomach issues, you mean like gastritis? Omeprazole, avoid acidic foods.
I imagine it's alcoholic gastritis, but I'll find out Thursday when I have a previously scheduled endoscopy/colonoscopy. Kinda nervous about that procedure also.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck on the tests...our bodies are pretty amazing at recovering, it just takes some time.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Honestly, give it at least a month or two or three.
Three or four months before I could focus and feel kind of ok.
Others seems to get there rather quickly.

Main thing -- for us -- staying sober through the highs and lows.

M-Bob
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

I think many of us are up and down in these early weeks. Please don't let it put you off.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I imagine it's alcoholic gastritis, but I'll find out Thursday when I have a previously scheduled endoscopy/colonoscopy. Kinda nervous about that procedure also.
Let us know
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Let us know
Had all my tests today, and guess what, I'm gonna be okay!
Clean colon, healthy stomach and only mild esophageal inflammation.

Also, with my nearing a month sober, my liver bloodwork is heading back in the normal direction quickly as well.

I'm so thankful for this second chance at living a life without having to live with the constant anxiety of damage I've done to my body with alcohol. And, I'm thankful for these forums as an outlet and sounding board to keep me grounded.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Fantastic news SLC, glad to hear it and thanks for sharing. It's pretty amazing what our bodies can do if we quit pouring poison down our throats every day ;-)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Great news! My doctor couldn't believe how well my body recovered from nearly 30 years of abuse.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's great news. I think the human body is incredibly resilient. I was certain that I blew up my liver and my pancreas, but all my tests have come back fine. Funny story: I was certain my skin was turning blue and that I was headed for death at one point...turns it out was dye from a cheap walmart shirt rubbing off on me.
As for ups and downs, speaking for myself I experienced periods of depression as my memory started to return. I had very little memory of 2014 at all, and as a lot of memories came back, caused mild depression for me as the brain fog lifted. It's normal.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to hear it RealSLC

D
Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Prayers to you.