SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   % - percentage of my sobriety owed to this site ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/361809-percentage-my-sobriety-owed-site.html)

Mountainmanbob 03-12-2015 05:51 AM

% - percentage of my sobriety owed to this site ?

Well I think this to be a slightly different kind of poll here.

This site has helped me so much to remember my past struggles while still drinking. And then how it was in the beginning staying sober while abstaining from booze which would only lead me back to more drunken days. And then now with some sober time under my belt and wanting to not forget the past or wish to repeat it. Coming to this site daily helps me so much with this. For so many of you out there, remind me of me.

I understand with sobriety being so complex and the many different sober tools that most of us need and use to stay sober, it may be hard, but interesting to take a moment and put into an approximate percentage how much we think that we use this site so as to reinforce our sobriety.

I wish to thank you all and especially the moderators here on site for all of the help and encouragement I have been blessed to receive here on this site, that has strengthened my sobriety.

Bob - up on top the mountain

GnikNus 03-12-2015 06:07 AM

I have to say that I credit this site with getting and keeping me sober. I check it daily and it has become a part of my life. I am 100 days sober today.

Tonks 03-12-2015 06:13 AM

You and I both, SunKing... 100 today for both of us. How about that?

zjw 03-12-2015 06:29 AM

thats a really tough question to answer. I voted 11-25%. helping others helps me becuase i re-read my own BS and it helps me swallow my own good advice as well. I've even had others call me out on something i said and throw it in my face a reminder i much needed.

It also helps me to see what a mess alcohol can do to people especially early on in sobriety its a godo reminder of where i was and where i dont wanna go back to if i can help it. Its down right terrible what this stuff can do and i have a very short memory and i'm stupid enough to forget how bad it was and pick it up again.

When people relapse this also helps me. I wont lie first couple times i dealt with someone else who relapsed i thougth Gee i wonder how it was if it was worth it cause boy i sure am thirsty and if this guy tells me it wasnt so bad I might go try a little bender / relapse myself hey why not right? well I have yet to meet someone who had a relapse / bender tell me it was even remotely worth it. The horror story they have from the expierience is enough for me to not go trying that route too.

I guess the point is my AV is always trying to scheme a way for me to go get drunk again and reading here keeps it in check which is kinda nice.

calikidd 03-12-2015 06:34 AM

Believe that this is a great site to reinforce sobriety

ardy 03-12-2015 06:36 AM

this place and all of you have done things that Doctors and hospitals cannot do.. still my fears.. help to balance my spinning life and to allow me the voice of fear that is used here loud and clear... how important is this sight.. with out if a bunch of us would be sobbing drunk under a table with no one to go to.. prayers to all and hope that today is better then yesterday. love ardy

strategery 03-12-2015 06:37 AM

I also give SR tons of credit in helping make sobriety happen for me. It's been an amazing resource to learn, as well as for support. I am truly grateful for SR and all the people here making it what it is. I agree that it is ultimately up to us whether we drink or not, but this is the only resource I use to reinforce my sobriety.

zjw 03-12-2015 06:46 AM

i've always felt an AA table is like a timeline. You can look around that table and see where you have been and you can see where you are and you can see where you can go. the same holds true here. its not even all that chronological either. you could have someone whos still plenty wet drop that tid bit of advice you just need to hear. and someone whos been dry for decades say absolutly nothing useful to you but perhaps is plenty helpful for someone else.

Nonsensical 03-12-2015 06:55 AM

I learnd what I needed to learn to stay sober here on SR. It may have saved my life.

Soberwolf 03-12-2015 07:32 AM

I came here in month 13 i think and in 2 days il be 20 months (not that im counting lol)

i came here looking for something and i can easily say SR and the ppl ive met here have exceeded all expectations this place is a wondeful home of sobriety

it is my main source for reinforcing my sdobriety although i do other things also

Congrats to GnikNus & Tonks on reaching 100 days

Mountainmanbob 03-12-2015 07:55 AM

I'm coming in with a figure of around 35% and that is a big deal in my sobriety
thank you all so much
Bob

Justincredible 03-12-2015 09:04 AM

I voted the 41-60 percent. This place is a part of my daily healing right now. So much strength, wisdom, and kindness here. Touching at times, really.

Sisterbobby 03-12-2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by zjw (Post 5254048)
swallow my own good advice as well

yes

SDH73 03-12-2015 10:07 AM

It's difficult to quantize this. I will say that SR has been an invaluable resource for me, and probably will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, SR!

Jen73 03-12-2015 10:09 AM

SR helps me through a lot, gives me the courage to keep going no matter what hits me.

zjw 03-12-2015 10:13 AM

one thing I learned in school was that if i wrote down notes i was more likely to remember them. 95% of the time come test time since I had written down all the notes it was fairly easy for me to remember everything.

The same holds true here. I type out some advice or some complaint about a life related issue etc.. I'm more likely to recall that advice for my ownself when the time comes.

I guess if your one of those folks that doesnt participate as much the point is typen out some words of wisdom to someone can go a long way at helping you to recall the same stuff when your time comes.

Db1105 03-12-2015 10:56 AM

I'm one of the zeros. I got sober back when I would not leave the house without a few dimes in my pocket in case I had to call my sponsor or other friend in recovery from a phone booth.

zjw 03-12-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Db1105 (Post 5254569)
I'm one of the zeros. I got sober back when I would not leave the house without a few dimes in my pocket in case I had to call my sponsor or other friend in recovery from a phone booth.

SHHHHH dont say stuff like that it makes you sound old. phone booths what are those? wow only a dime to make a phone call?

Boleo 03-12-2015 11:42 AM

SR and other "fellowships" are just a few of my many venues to practice my program so I voted 10%

My time as an long-haul truck driver taught me that I need many different venues to take the actions necessary to maintain my equanimity. Other venues are; prayer, meditation, self-appraisal, service work and fellowship where ever I can get it (except bars).

:Meditate:

silentrun 03-12-2015 02:07 PM

The title doesn't match the question underneath so I would have chose 100%. I give myself 50% credit for being sober and SR the other half. SR has been my only source of support to reinforce. What is with the zero's though? Are people here for another reason than to reinforce their sobriety? When I chose a thread to post on even when I am trying to help or share my experience that is reinforcing my sobriety.