Notices

controversial - get ready

Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Interesting that they are asking you to promote AA, because AA does not even promote itself. Could it be that they are promoting their own treatment approach, which relies heavily on AA? What this treatment facility does regarding AA is not a reflection on AA. It's a reflection on the treatment facility. They are separate entities.

biminiblue, you state, "According to AA, you can't get sober without working the steps. Continuously." Really? Where does AA say that? I would like to know because I have been in AA for some years now and I've never found this idea in any of the literature. I hear these sorts of statements from people who don't like AA. They also tend to be people who don't know much about it.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
OR....

Worry about your own recovery!
I do worry about my own. However, i never was one to be f-d over by anyone without doing my level best to make them regret that they ever wronged me if i can get even half a chance to return the favor. As a matter of fact, ALL, (without a single exception) of my friends and family are of the same opinion. Give the enemy an inch and they'll walk 100 miles right over you.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AA has its ups and downs, but it does allow one to speak their mind, much like this website. I've done some reading with the Big Book, and there is a lot of helpful stuff in there.

The steps aren't for everyone. But maybe there is still some help to be found at meetings. It is up to you. Meetings can be a good followup to treatment for many people. Honesty is allowed there, and that is a gift in this world. Give it a shot. I'm going to as well.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Adante
Guess which choice would reflect more “recovery,” whether or not you used AA to achieve it?
What does this even mean? It seems to me that any time a formerly addicted person has a legitimate observation about something, if that observation is not all candy canes and rosebuds, then they will be accused of not having "sobriety" or "recovery" or not having the required level of serenity about any given circumstance or event. I don't think it's anyone's place to judge the OP's reaction to what happened to him.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Geez, that's rough man.

I have also contemplated going back to my old rehab center to speak and/or to give support. I feel that I could reach a couple of people with my story and some tride-and-true methods that helped me get on the right track. I live too far away at this point to even realistically consider it, but it's crossed my mind that perhaps on a visit stateside I could run over.

But, come to think of it, I am pretty sure AA was at the heart of our rehab program as well. I think most speakers did indeed use the "AA method" when speaking with us, and we also had to attend AA meetings at the center (MANDATORY) when we were "locked up".

I suppose I'd be a little miffed and offended if I were you. I'd probably think "screw them" or something like that. But, I'm sure that you know you've got a lot to offer more open-minded communities, like SR. Let it roll off your back, man, you'll be okay!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
I do worry about my own. However, i never was one to be f-d over by anyone without doing my level best to make them regret that they ever wronged me if i can get even half a chance to return the favor. As a matter of fact, ALL, (without a single exception) of my friends and family are of the same opinion. Give the enemy an inch and they'll walk 100 miles right over you.
In my experience that kinda eye for an eye thing just ends up in a lot of people without eyes Carbonized.

D
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yet another thread by avrt having a dig at aa
dont you guys get tired of it all yet ?

its always the same people or new people who have just signed up trying to paint aa in a bad way

its boring now as i have read all the threads and got involved in some arguments over it all

and here is yet another one

why dont you just stick to your avrt and leave aa well alone as aa is doing nothing to you
it looks like jealousy to me and its ugly

there are plenty of people the world over who dont like aa for whatever reason and thats ok

i dont like avrt so i guess i should try and post up threads about there rubbish methods that i believe will kill people in the long run as they dont have a clue

but then if i do that i will be no better than the avrt people who spend so much time and effort starting up there anti aa threads

so i dont bother as its really not worth it
so my advice to you would be to forget about aa and just focus on your recovery and helping people
Old 12-15-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My rehab did the exact same thing. I feel that half of my one on one counselling sessions were based on "encouraging me" to hurry up and find a sponsor, and why AA works.

But, I try to focus on the good things that I did learn there. Which is a lot, but I only met 1 person at an outside event that was NOT in the program and I got the feeling he wasn't really accepted at the BBQ.

A year later here I am on SR and it is so informative and eye opening that I am not doomed to relapse because I cut back on my meetings. It is a truly awesome feeling to meet so many people that are recovering with their own programs and techniques, I no longer feel so alone.

Whatever works for you, makes you happy, and keeps you clean/sober, makes me happy.

Proud of you OP thanks for showing me that it can be done. Congrats on 1 year!!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by desypete
it looks like jealousy to me and its ugly
No jealousy here. I do not want what you have.

It is not one against another in my view. I have friendships with people who have used many different methods to end their addictions and in fact I love discussing different points of view. Most of my friends (including my AA fiends) very clearly understand that disagreeing with a point is not "bashing", and they are able to do so with finesse. If everyone agreed with me, and I with them, I would be quite bored and stagnant.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

BTW,

I think AA is great for certain personality types. I'm just not that personality type.
I have friends in AA/NA and I fully support them if its working. I have friends who have found other ways to maintain health and sobriety and I fully support them too. I support ALL styles of recovery if the person is happy and healthy.

I understand how people get defensive about what works for them because recovery is so valuable. Makes sense. No point in arguing.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Desy, there's a difference in thinking critically about something, and criticising or bashing something.

It seems a lot of people here mistake the two.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Pop into AA group and pick up a One Year Chip!

Only requirement for membership......Well, you know the rest.
I have some friends in AA who never worked the steps. One is now almost 3 years. When the ask to share how did you do it, tell the truth. Might save somebody's life

Sorry bout the rehab jerks. Who said ...... I don't want to join any club that would have me as a member???? Sounds bout right....

FlyN
Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Desy please go back and read the original post in this thread.

yet another thread by avrt having a dig at aa
Whatever you may think of the apportioning of blame, the OP is not a follower of AVRT.
This thread is not about AVRT.

D
Old 12-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I would like to congratulate you on a year and a job well done!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This is a first for me. Can't say I've ever heard of a rehab dismissing an alumni's sobriety because they didn't go to AA.

Perhaps there is someone else on the staff you can discuss it with?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post

Perhaps there is someone else on the staff you can discuss it with?
I agree. Maybe whomever you talked to just doesn't like you and doesn't want you around. Try talking to someone else or make other plans for NYE
Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
According to AA, you can't get sober without working the steps. Continuously.

I think there will start to be more secular style or AV style rehabs - someday.

I also hold out the belief that one day there will be no more war.

I agree with you, BTW.
Hmmm - suggested is my understanding. Now I agree there are those who are highly passionate about working steps, no doubt. Just as there are passionate people who are proponents of various methods.

Peace to all
FlyN
Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ya know, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a debate. A couple weeks ago I mentioned I wanted to go back to rehab to visit on NYE. And after learning all of the particulars and having to get into the "alumni association" I discovered I don't qualify. I felt a little disappointed. But not so much for me as for some of the individuals there that would actually benefit from my being there and sharing my adventure with them. I know for a fact that very many are return clients and many have already experienced recoveryism.

My point was that I mentioned I was planning to do this, and reported back that it is no longer available to me - unless I lie. I was not bashing aa - entirely. But I see the usual suspects come out and are defending it - not PROMOTING it.
I'm just appalled that I would not be welcomed because I don't do aa. And make no mistake about it, I was told if I didn't do the steps I would relapse. They had my wife so frightened she wanted to buy every relapse workbook they sold - at cost. I didn't want to get into this.

Let's stop the debate and bickering already. I posted I was going to do this. I posted that I am no longer going. I am not hurt in the least bit. I am disgusted by it. But it caused no anxiety or anything like that. I found it more laughable than anything else.

What is more unnerving is that the aa defenders come charging forward waving the flag any time someone questions it. That must have started in some of the posts - I didn't read them all because I got disgusted with it all.

Jeeeeeez already. People grow the walnut fudge up.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I can see wanting to celebrate your year with people you started with. I actually went to my one and only AA meeting on my year. I didn't take a chip or anything. I am sure they would have been supportive if I did but it's just not the same unless it's the people that saw you go through it all. There are plenty here who would love to celebrate your year with you. I celebrated my year here with people who had been with me all along. It is pretty awesome to see others making it while you are too.
Naughty idea: Put on an Anonymous mask and run in with no pants yelling "I got my year beaches"
Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
In my experience that kinda eye for an eye thing just ends up in a lot of people without eyes Carbonized.

D
As long as it's the enemies eyes on the short end of the proposition, life is beautiful. Things such as this can't be just swept aside without a response.