Notices

controversial - get ready

Old 12-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

controversial - get ready

I mentioned a little back that I was going to attend a NYE thing at the rehab I went to. Well, it turns out I am not welcome there. I now recall a six month follow up phone call I received from them.
Anyway, to be admitted I am required to promote aa and the 12 steps, be listed with a home group and sponsor. It is my opinion that aa has caused more harm than good to many people. So I cannot promote it exclusively.

Just the mention of AVRT or optional methods of "recovery" received a lot of consternation - dismissal. And basically, not welcome.

It's unfortunate that I will have a year of sobriety but will not be recognized for it because I don't - didn't - do the steps. It goes against everything they preach. Sooooo, I guess I'll find something else to do. Like go to bed early again like I usually do anyway.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

According to AA, you can't get sober without working the steps. Continuously.

I think there will start to be more secular style or AV style rehabs - someday.

I also hold out the belief that one day there will be no more war.

I agree with you, BTW.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

According to AA there are alternatives to AA. AA does not have an exclusive on recovery
Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got a similar reaction upon returning to continuing care meetings where I did my IOP. The counselors were the main problem. They assumed I'd relapsed or was about to when I just showed up out of the blue for support group. I assured them I was doing well and just wanted to be around others for mutual face to face support. The steps and sponsor were pushed on me. It was pretty hard to tune out and ignore. So, I left again.

I think I was hoping for a real time, face to face version of SR, and so far I just haven't found that.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I have been politely asked to leave a lot of church's just because I would not conform to their standards and promote their message.

Do I resent it? Not really. Every group has the right to set it's own requirements.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel for you because a similar thing happened to me as well a few months ago. I got involved in a treatment approach via my work and a few psychiatrists I know from work. I was very enthusiastic at first. Turned out a more rigid program than my own philosophy, style, and preference. This, for me, was more a work connection so we did not get to talk about my addiction and my recovery, just general views. It was more complicated than promoting AA or anything in particular -- much more an internal political thing amongst the mental health professionals involved (including myself)... and it really turned me off from it at first. So I tried to still communicate with the actual "clients" (addicts seeking help through this program), and I saw the same tendency there, that not all of them wanted to get into "one size fits all" approach despite seemingly solid in their desire to work on their addictions and life.

After ~2 months of trying to find compromises, I decided to move on because the more I explored, the more I got into the entanglements of "professional" politics in my community, and it would not have done any good to anyone to have me aggressively pursue whatever in this context.

I do think it's a great idea for us in recovery to get into these kinds of endeavors if we feel so inclined, but in my view, it's better to find personally compatible communities/solutions. It's a bit like relationships in a way
Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Anyway, to be admitted I am required to promote aa and the 12 steps, be listed with a home group and sponsor. It is my opinion that aa has caused more harm than good to many people.
How did AA cause this? AA is voluntary to anyone who has the desire to stop drinking.

If an IOP, a treatment facility or other treatment program deem it their requirement, how is that AA's fault?

AA has been around for 79 years. Many programs have adapted the steps and require their patients or members to attend but that does not make them or the program they use "AA".

That is like saying the maker of the original is always responsible for any and all copies that may follow for better or for worse.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
AA has been around for 79 years. Many programs have adapted the steps and require their patients or members to attend but that does not make them or the program they use "AA".
Pragmatically, it does though. They're working inside the box or paradigm of the 12 Steps philosophy.

It's the general response or attitude of... oh, well you either get the sponsor, work the steps (with a sponsor), and attend meetings... or you're considered noncompliant.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear that. I agree with you also.

However, we are here, we credit you and are proud of all of your hard work!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Joke 'em if they can't take a ****.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self supporting
through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with
any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does
not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor
opposes any causes.
Our primary purpose is to stay sober and
help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Reprinted with permission
Rev.

Lets not forget AA has no affiliation with any outside organization.

BE WELL
Old 12-15-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Pragmatically, it does though. They're working inside the box or paradigm of the 12 Steps philosophy.

It's the general response or attitude of... oh, well you either get the sponsor, work the steps (with a sponsor), and attend meetings... or you're considered noncompliant.
I understand. Treatment facilities and IOP are using methods based on the AA program. They are requiring the use of AA but AA is not requiring that.

I don't see how that is AA's fault? Would not the blame fall on the IOP or treatment facility for using the AA program as their example or their requirement?

If AA was not around, ever, would the IOP or the facility have a requirement that may still not be accepted by everyone?

I am not saying AA is the only way, I don't believe that and support anyone in their journey to sobriety how ever they get there but if not AA, the blame would just be put on some other program or belief. Nothing fits everyone to a perfect fit. I feel the treatment centers use what fits the majority but they are at fault for that, not AA.

AA just seems to always be the one that the treatment and IOP work with and base their own program on.

If the harm is done by anyone is it the treatment or IOP, not AA for creating a program.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, them’s the rules at that particular rehab. You could either shrug your shoulders and move on to find another venue (and there are plenty, surely) at which you would be welcome to help other sober alcoholics ring in the new year, or you could get upset and make a big issue of being excluded from the event at your old rehab.

Guess which choice would reflect more “recovery,” whether or not you used AA to achieve it?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well said, Andante.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
If the harm is done by anyone is it the treatment or IOP, not AA for creating a program.
I agree with that.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry you cant go to the party. I wont comment on AA because I have not tried it and am not going to try it. I do think it has been a lifesaver for a lot of people and has a pretty good track record. Lots of people have been helped by it and I think that is great.

It is my opinion that a lot of the rehab deal is not about the rehab, but rather about the money. Most medical care that I have received is not about wellness, but about the money. It is sad to me the rehab center uses a wholesome non profit motivated organization to become part of their "program", then in turn uses it to exclude people. Think they have lost focus on the meaning and idea behind AA. However, if AA worked easily, then there would be no need for rehabs. So I guess it is important to draw lines in the sand when you are protecting a "business", not a "wellness".

Regardless, glad you are well, and just go to another party or have one at your house.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I mentioned a little back that I was going to attend a NYE thing at the rehab I went to. Well, it turns out I am not welcome there. I now recall a six month follow up phone call I received from them.
Anyway, to be admitted I am required to promote aa and the 12 steps, be listed with a home group and sponsor. It is my opinion that aa has caused more harm than good to many people. So I cannot promote it exclusively.

Just the mention of AVRT or optional methods of "recovery" received a lot of consternation - dismissal. And basically, not welcome.

It's unfortunate that I will have a year of sobriety but will not be recognized for it because I don't - didn't - do the steps. It goes against everything they preach. Sooooo, I guess I'll find something else to do. Like go to bed early again like I usually do anyway.
Any place with people who have follow rigid one way lines of thought is to be avoided. Want to really have fun? See if you can find a way to keep track of those there that relapse and immediately let ones who run it know. Then tell them to keep up the good work.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The same carry on goes on over here,, well done on your year lbrain.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, well done. I'm sure there will be other places grateful for your input. I think they are being quite detrimental to recovery in general. xx
Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
Want to really have fun? See if you can find a way to keep track of those there that relapse and immediately let ones who run it know. Then tell them to keep up the good work.
OR....

Worry about your own recovery!