Notices

controversial - get ready

Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
alright, one more time, and yes, this needs to go into the - let's move on category.
I just want to clarify a few things.

THEY - is the rehab facility

Being recognized: It means they will not acknowledge that I was able to stay sober without AA. That's what I meant. To attempt to introduce or discuss any alternative means to get and stay sober is against their (the rehab) doctrine.

AA cost me a lot more than AVRT. I went to almost 200 meetings. Let's just say 100 around here. You are not required to throw into the basket, but I always toss a buck in. Gas money at around $3/gal getting 17 mph and figure 1000 miles driven. Not to mention stopping for donuts and things - again, my choice to give. Gas money is not an option assuming you don't have a way there. Add the big book, 12 and 12 and a few other 3 or 4 dollar publications my 'sponsor' wanted me to get. So let's just call it 300 bucks.

AVRT - the total amount of time I spent on AVRT was about fifteen minutes. The total money invested was the cost of electricity and internet for 15 minutes. Let's just call it a penny. I could have saved $299.99. Don't get me totally wrong, I enjoyed going to meeting at first and meeting some nice people. Sometimes I drank the coffee and sometimes I didn't. I ate my share of donuts and candy. So I'll call it a push on the dues. I know, there are no dues or fees, we are self supporting by our own contributions. So the seventh tradition will be met if we all throw a buck in the basket thank you.

The one thing I got from going to aa that is invaluable was the ability to make my own decision on whether or not I needed to be there. But this was not supposed to be about aa. It was supposed to be about how the rehabs behave. Though anytime there is any subject brought up that involves the mention of it, the flag wavers come stampeding in hoping to "attract" members. Well that ain't so attractive.

This all boils down to how rehabs function - mostly - in the usofa. They get you in, take your money and send you off to aa knowing fair well that many of you will be back. It is a perpetual cycle. The most promising thing rehabs have going for them is that an individual will be holed up for a month, not have access to booze or drugs, have time to think about things, maybe learn something and hopefully "see the light" and make the decision to quit drinking. As most of us know, the only way to stop is to truly want to stop. That's the bottom line. If you need to go to aa to help you, fantastic - go and follow the suggestions. But don't blame aa if you drink again. Even though they program you to think you will drink again without continuing to do the steps, it's nobody's fault but your own.

I don't need a cake for my one year of sobriety anniversary. Most of you have no idea how bad I really was. Combine that with other influences and I was one f-d up person for a while. My not being able to share this with the people in rehab and the fact that I haven't had a drink since then is what it's all about. These folks will not be afforded the opportunity to learn about other possibilities or paths to sobriety because THEY (the rehab) will not allow it. This (the OP) had nothing to do with aa.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
alright, one more time, and yes, this needs to go into the - let's move on category.
I just want to clarify a few things.

THEY - is the rehab facility

Being recognized: It means they will not acknowledge that I was able to stay sober without AA. That's what I meant. To attempt to introduce or discuss any alternative means to get and stay sober is against their (the rehab) doctrine.

AA cost me a lot more than AVRT. I went to almost 200 meetings. Let's just say 100 around here. You are not required to throw into the basket, but I always toss a buck in. Gas money at around $3/gal getting 17 mph and figure 1000 miles driven. Not to mention stopping for donuts and things - again, my choice to give. Gas money is not an option assuming you don't have a way there. Add the big book, 12 and 12 and a few other 3 or 4 dollar publications my 'sponsor' wanted me to get. So let's just call it 300 bucks.

AVRT - the total amount of time I spent on AVRT was about fifteen minutes. The total money invested was the cost of electricity and internet for 15 minutes. Let's just call it a penny. I could have saved $299.99. Don't get me totally wrong, I enjoyed going to meeting at first and meeting some nice people. Sometimes I drank the coffee and sometimes I didn't. I ate my share of donuts and candy. So I'll call it a push on the dues. I know, there are no dues or fees, we are self supporting by our own contributions. So the seventh tradition will be met if we all throw a buck in the basket thank you.

The one thing I got from going to aa that is invaluable was the ability to make my own decision on whether or not I needed to be there. But this was not supposed to be about aa. It was supposed to be about how the rehabs behave. Though anytime there is any subject brought up that involves the mention of it, the flag wavers come stampeding in hoping to "attract" members. Well that ain't so attractive.

This all boils down to how rehabs function - mostly - in the usofa. They get you in, take your money and send you off to aa knowing fair well that many of you will be back. It is a perpetual cycle. The most promising thing rehabs have going for them is that an individual will be holed up for a month, not have access to booze or drugs, have time to think about things, maybe learn something and hopefully "see the light" and make the decision to quit drinking. As most of us know, the only way to stop is to truly want to stop. That's the bottom line. If you need to go to aa to help you, fantastic - go and follow the suggestions. But don't blame aa if you drink again. Even though they program you to think you will drink again without continuing to do the steps, it's nobody's fault but your own.

I don't need a cake for my one year of sobriety anniversary. Most of you have no idea how bad I really was. Combine that with other influences and I was one f-d up person for a while. My not being able to share this with the people in rehab and the fact that I haven't had a drink since then is what it's all about. These folks will not be afforded the opportunity to learn about other possibilities or paths to sobriety because THEY (the rehab) will not allow it. This (the OP) had nothing to do with aa.
you know i had my doubt about how bad your drink problem really was in terms of are you an alcoholic or just someone who drank to much ?

but i am starting to see how you behave sober and how you want your own way over things and that is ringing bells with me more than your drinking
i dont mean that in a bad way i mean it as its how i would be to in trying every cunning trick in the world to get my own way

this is were aa shown me i have to try to not live my life like that anymore
Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

This thread has been all over the place - dawsome, dodally dawsome.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
The obvious conclusion to be drawn from all this is that policies need to be changed. And policies will be changed eventually. Just as there are more and more lawsuits over forcing people into one type of recovery system (namely, AA and its religiosity) through the court systems, there will likely be pressure put on the rehab and recovery facilities to be more careful to offer options to those in recovery.

This is a matter of policy change, and it's going to take time.
just so long as you dont expect the tax payer to foot the bill and pay peoples wages to provide the help that you think should be given.

aa is not a religious organization, its how you see it that you believe it is

but its not as i am an aa member and a very active member of aa and as you know i dont believe in a god or pray to one and there are countless others like me around aa

so please get your fact right and if there is a court case i would hope to be called on to give evidence to show aa is not religious

now the funny side to all of this is hitting me in the eyes

either offer up avrt and make the founder a lot of money as it would be forced into giving its services and hoping to get nice government grants to pay for it all

so the choice would be to have one lot of people telling others they have to believe in a monster or beast or another lot telling them to believe in a god : )

the way i see it is avrt are a bunch of people who went to aa and didnt like it so have decided to take on aa as thats what alcoholics do when they get a resentment over something or someone

the way its said in aa is start your own meeting up you only need a coffee pot and an resentment
i think the same can be said for if you dont like one fellowship then all you need do is start your own with a coffee pot and resentment lol
Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
pray for strength

KFC, Brain! Your scenario reminds me of When Harry Met Sally and "when you decide you want to spend the rest of your life with someone; you want the rest of your life to start now." Celebrating with a group of people in real life who do not totally annoy the **** out of you would be really nice. Alas, you will have to do this here.

I've got a fabulous recipe for an old-fashioned chocolate cake that is really fun to make. So far 6 layers are the most I have managed and wow, was it delicious. Maybe you could try for 8 layers and then share.

"...when I take you out in the surrey, when I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top..." I'm going to have to watch that movie now.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts have been removed.

Please, no name-calling.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

My biggest concern right now is whether to start off learning the mando reading the music first or fool around with tablature just to get some songs down.

And what picks work best for me. And returning the Kentucky I got over the weekend because I just picked up a new Breedlove.
I had some pastry last night for dessert. Some I'm good for a while. But thanks LTV.

Now if there was a fedex within 10 miles of here I'd be a little happier. I ain't waiting around again for them to pick up a package.

Catch y'all later.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seems like a good point to end this discussion

Thanks all

Dee
SR