Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I've grown out of my alcohol abuse..as i have other things

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I spent almost three years drinking hard...very hard..developed a fatty liver 2 years ago...quit for 1 year and 5 months...I loved getting drunk. i don't know if anything is wrong with that..it's all a matter of perspective and culture really...my life was messed up before i started hitting the bottle hard...i was just procrastinating on life....the booze wasn't my problem

when i got sober i started researching addiction..i voluntered in soup kitchens...talked to people on the street...read many books..watched videos...learned from the quacks to the realists and everything in between...

most grow out of addiction.anybody can do the research and find that out..a small percentage of people feel they need outside help such as a support group and an even smaller percentage believe they have no power over this thing...something like 8% of addicts believe this. I take peoples word for it who believe this. They have no way of proving it to me but i don't try to change their minds anymore..there are problems that have nothing to do with a substance..personality disorders or other mental conditions...sometimes to substance is a scapegoat..and it's an accepted scapegoat

alcohol isn't a problem for me now

I just thought i'd say that because it is honest

good luck to everyone...i am optimistic for all of you
Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take care, Cabo!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Caboblanco, FANTASTIC, of course I will see ya in chat, yes?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I'm following some of your post.

Does "most grow out of addiction" mean learning to be Sober and not struggling anymore, or does it mean going back to moderate drinking?

Sure alcohol becomes less of a problem with more Sobriety, as a new lifestyle is created, new routines, a new life, alcohol is kicked to the margins of life more and more!!

Not sure about "feel they need", but a large percentage actually need something other than themselves to beat addiction, why else would so many resources need to exist, either way addiction is not something that is easy for everyone!!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I'm not sure I'm following some of your post.

Does "most grow out of addiction" mean learning to be Sober and not struggling anymore, or does it mean going back to moderate drinking?

Sure alcohol becomes less of a problem with more Sobriety, as a new lifestyle is created, new routines, a new life, alcohol is kicked to the margins of life more and more!!

Not sure about "feel they need", but a large percentage actually need something other than themselves to beat addiction, why else would so many resources need to exist, either way addiction is not something that is easy for everyone!!
it can mean sobriety or moderate drinking....the point is the substance isn't a problem for them in any way personally
Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
it can mean sobriety or moderate drinking....the point is the substance isn't a problem for them in any way personally
I'd agree with alcohol ceases to be an issue for many, either moderation is achieved or through long term Sobriety it becomes a non issue.

Not sure on the "most" grow out of addiction, there are thousands here on SR whom moderation is a non starter, but sadly so many don't make it or become stuck in a continuous cycle of addiction over many years!!

Good luck on your own personal journey Cabo!!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Would you try moderating Cabo? I consider it a non issue for me right now too. That can change in an instant though.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Would you try moderating Cabo? I consider it a non issue for me right now too. That can change in an instant though.
well you know thats a hot potato..but the only way i can answer it...if sobriety and moderating are essentially the same thing to you...there is no bullet in either gun...kind of like in shawshank redemption when red(morgan freeman) told the parole officers after many bad sessions he couldn't give a dam what they wrote about him anymore...only then did he make parole..thats the feeling of it anyway

but you are your own person silent
Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco
I spent almost three years drinking hard...very hard..developed a fatty liver 2 years ago...quit for 1 year and 5 months...I loved getting drunk. i don't know if anything is wrong with that..it's all a matter of perspective and culture really...my life was messed up before i started hitting the bottle hard...i was just procrastinating on life....the booze wasn't my problem

when i got sober i started researching addiction..i voluntered in soup kitchens...talked to people on the street...read many books..watched videos...learned from the quacks to the realists and everything in between...

most grow out of addiction.anybody can do the research and find that out..a small percentage of people feel they need outside help such as a support group and an even smaller percentage believe they have no power over this thing...something like 8% of addicts believe this. I take peoples word for it who believe this. They have no way of proving it to me but i don't try to change their minds anymore..there are problems that have nothing to do with a substance..personality disorders or other mental conditions...sometimes to substance is a scapegoat..and it's an accepted scapegoat

alcohol isn't a problem for me now

I just thought i'd say that because it is honest

good luck to everyone...i am optimistic for all of you
What do you mean by "hard"? Some more details please?

I drank mostly beer (various types, but "malt" types towards the end) during my drinking career and had an awful withdrawal, which makes me question if whatever you were drinking was really "hard" at all.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It sounds like you are going to moderate Cabo. Sobriety is real and moderating is an illusion. We have come along way together. Remember when I said I was an amateur and you said "Oh no...we are the big leagues".
Don't get mad at me for asking but are you drinking now?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
What do you mean by "hard"? Some more details please?

I drank mostly beer during my drinking career and had an awful withdrawal, which makes me question if whatever you were drinking was really "hard" at all.
oh i drank 20-30 beers 5 days a week

once in a while i would go to a bar after..im talking like 40 drinks in a day while out in public

i drank other stuff like bourbon but mostly beer

thats hard enough..right?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i'm not going to moderate....you don't have to worry,,no need to
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

i'm not going to moderate....you don't have to worry,,no need to
Pinkie swear?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh i drank 20-30 beers 5 days a week

once in a while i would go to a bar after..im talking like 40 drinks in a day while out in public

i drank other stuff like bourbon but mostly beer

thats hard enough..right?
Alright, what types of beer was it? Craft? Malt? Lager? etc?

Also, was that "20-30 drinks" a day? or spread out over those 5 days?

Reason i'm asking these questions is because i've heard that different types of alcohol vary in terms of addictiveness, not sure if it's true but when i hear of people who claim they didn't get withdrawal i always start to wonder what they were drinking exactly. For example, I've heard that "malt" based alcohol is more addictive compared to other types....... it seems to match up with my own experience, i was guzzling the malt stuff like a fish towards the end.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

...if sobriety and moderating are essentially the same thing to you...
...well, not so much.

I sincerely hope things work out for you, Cabo. Take it easy.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

grubby i drank.like a fish.by anyones standard...i gave me a fatty liver in 3 years.

20-30 drinks a night...more like 30
Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Also, was that "20-30 drinks" a day? or spread out over those 5 days?
Does it matter? It was enough to give him liver damage. Sounds pretty hard to me.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Pinkie swear?
yeah pinky swear...silent is that you and your sister in that photo..or is that an old timey one?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

grubby i drank.like a fish.by anyones standard...i gave me a fatty liver in 3 years.

20-30 drinks a night...more like 30
Wow........ in that case i wish you well.

Is the fatty liver healed?? or are you going to return to drinking in spite of the fatty liver? If you're going to do this, be safe at least........