Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I've grown out of my alcohol abuse..as i have other things

Notices

I've grown out of my alcohol abuse..as i have other things

Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Best of luck to you Cabo and all of us!

Thanks for the reply....

Kind Regards,
fly
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I wish you the best of luck Cabo. For your own sake, you might want to go back and read the thread below. That was just a couple of months ago and you brought some pretty serious questions to light. Ask yourself if you've found the answers.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gain-life.html
Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
First, I find no research to indicate that only a "small percentage of people feel they need outside help". In fact, I find just the opposite. (If you have data or reference please let me know, I am interested in it's review). Many people who are truly seeking sobriety as a life changing event, and have come the conclusion they are alcoholics seek outside support - rehab, self help groups, therapy or counseling of some sort - this may be initially or for many years.
It's an historical and clinical reality that people with alcohol problems and those who struggle with substances of abuse rarely seek treatment of any kind, typically ~10%. These numbers, I believe, are a function of what we refer to as "denial," though it's likely that there are other things that account for this.

There are many references for this, and you can't start here:

Alcohol Alert Number 81

Though their numbers are higher than what I've stated, the 10% figure is more widely published, and includes both alcoholics and addicts.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
First, I find no research to indicate that only a "small percentage of people feel they need outside help". In fact, I find just the opposite. (If you have data or reference please let me know, I am interested in it's review). Many people who are truly seeking sobriety as a life changing event, and have come the conclusion they are alcoholics seek outside support - rehab, self help groups, therapy or counseling of some sort - this may be initially or for many years.
It's an historical and clinical reality that people with alcohol problems and those who struggle with substances of abuse rarely seek treatment of any kind, typically ~10%. These numbers, I believe, are a function of what we refer to as "denial," though it's likely that there are other things that contribute to this finding.

Alcohol Alert Number 81

Though their numbers are higher than what I've stated, the 10% figure is more widely published, and includes both alcoholics and addicts.

The fact that many people who struggle with addictions are not available for surveys or studies is one among several problems for researchers, as is assessing what percentage of people who seek treatment go on to achieve sobriety versus those who don't, whether they do so directly following treatment or at a later date.

However...If what the OP means is that he no longer needs to focus on what got him sober and helped him to remain sober because he is now markedly indifferent to the role that alcohol now plays in his life, I would be very careful around what this means with regards to the practical application of maintaining a sober lifestyle.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
It's an historical and clinical reality that people with alcohol problems and those who struggle with substances of abuse rarely seek treatment of any kind, typically ~10%. These numbers, I believe, are a function of what we refer to as "denial," though it's likely that there are other things that account for this.

Alcohol Alert Number 81

Respectfully,

Here is what I posted:
Many people who are truly seeking sobriety as a life changing event, and have come the conclusion they are alcoholics seek outside support

Please remember, the reason I felt compelled to post this is HOPE = for those who have not made a decision If they are alcoholic and/or should they seek outside treatment. Those folks should not feel like they are in a small minority , is my point.
Sobriety is there for those who want it.

Again, per original post - I wish Cabo the best!
Do not want nor will I get into an unconstructive debate on another gent's post. But, I will provide clarity when a post I made seems ambiguous to a friend on SR.

peace to us all
Old 09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Gives me something to look forward to when I out grow my addictions. I'm rather disappointed because it sure hasn't happened yet. When exactly can I expect this because I'm almost 60 so time is somewhat limited.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Gives me something to look forward to when I out grow my addictions. I'm rather disappointed because it sure hasn't happened yet. When exactly can I expect this because I'm almost 60 so time is somewhat limited.
When I die I believe I will have outgrown my addictions.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So true. Many thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm happy for people to work through issues they may have...we had a recent thread like that.

This is a recovery site though and this thread like any other needs to abide by the rules.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Thanks for your co-operation, everyone

Dee
SR
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cabo, if you are leaving and moving on - good luck. I hope you join me south of the equator someday in the future!

Remember: "I don't have a drinking problem, because I don't drink. But I can get one, real fast." - Craig Ferguson.

Peace out man, keep on keeping on.