Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I've grown out of my alcohol abuse..as i have other things

Notices

I've grown out of my alcohol abuse..as i have other things

Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
yeah pinky swear...silent is that you and your sister in that photo..or is that an old timey one?
Your funny. I'm not that much older than you whippersnapper. It's some random photo from circa 1924. I thought it creepy and it goes well with my username.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Alright, what types of beer was it? Craft? Malt? Lager? etc?

Also, was that "20-30 drinks" a day? or spread out over those 5 days?

Reason i'm asking these questions is because i've heard that different types of alcohol vary in terms of addictiveness, not sure if it's true but when i hear of people who claim they didn't get withdrawal i always start to wonder what they were drinking exactly. For example, I've heard that "malt" based alcohol is more addictive compared to other types....... it seems to match up with my own experience, i was guzzling the malt stuff like a fish towards the end.
its uncanny you mention that..i didn't write anything about my intial physical withdrawal..but you are correct..i didn't have one except for a slight hangover....i drank a only a six pack 3 weeks aafter quitting and it triggered a withdrawal...some call that kindling withdrawal...it didn't last long but it was nasty
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Wow........ in that case i wish you well.

Is the fatty liver healed?? or are you going to return to drinking in spite of the fatty liver? If you're going to do this, be safe at least........
fatty liver is fine..i mean a fatty liver functions fine...i dont know if that fat is gone..my doc says there is no need for an ultrasound...yeah liver enzymes stopped looking like my credit rating a long time ago
Old 09-22-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco
its uncanny you mention that..i didn't write anything about my intial physical withdrawal..but you are correct..i didn't have one except for a slight hangover....i drank a only a six pack 3 weeks aafter quitting and it triggered a withdrawal...some call that kindling withdrawal...it didn't last long but it was nasty
Be careful with that, i've heard that kindling is a true phenomenon, the alcohol-linked receptors never go away - they just go dormant or go into "sleep" mode. For some strange mysterious reason, they react stronger each time you return to extended drinking...... or so the theory says, maybe that explains that "delayed" withdrawal.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I hope you find what you are looking for in life, aside from addiction, alcoholism, moderating or what have you. I hope this process has taught you something and you move forward with that. I am glad you let us know and keep posting - don't feel like this decision is a must go - while we have disagreed on many topics I always appreciated your contributions.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
p***enger

My own experience shows me that sometimes you can "outgrow" your addictions, for instance because of intentional or unintentional actions you drop the people, places and things that trigger or facilitate use and it becomes less and less likely you'll start that use again -- like it's unlikely I'll play jumprope again, or abuse speed.

But I might. And if I did, I'd hurt myself (jumprope or speed, mutatis mutandis).

I think that when people use as a specific strategy for coping with specific and especially recurrent behaviors and ways of thinking, not just "because they like it," then it's harder to outgrow the use. But certainly possible.

Psychologically, I think the problem with moderation is that it inherently muddles the user's thinking, and makes him thereby more likely to revert to the old familiar habit. Once it's dark out, you tend to choose the broad, well-worn road.

Interesting post!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Moderation didnt work for me, I believe people who can moderate drinking are those who dont care about alcohol that much, Its like what I feel with gambling, I like it and play sometimes, I even may lose a little money but I dont consider myself a gambling addict
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Best wishes on your journey Cabo- I'll miss your realism.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well Done!

My First Person experience is that what you're doing is both true, and achievable. The odds of what you're doing [or what I'm similarly doing via total Abstinence] don't concern me whatsoever. Your Recovery is the only one that counts to you IMO.

Thanks for the inspiring message.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

alcohol isn't a problem for me now

good to hear it, cabo.

alcohol isn't a problem for me, either.

but most certainly that doesn't mean that sobriety and moderation arte the same for me.

though i know a couple of people who claim that for themselves.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Can I ask what your symptoms of fatty liver were? Or was it just picked up in tests?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

My experience showed me that with help I can moderate and did for 16 years but all through that time I would have drunk more given the chance.

When circumstances changed I drank, nothing had changed I had no control.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

as always Cabo I wish you the best

D
Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I thought goodbye threads were against the rules....but two?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes a goodbye thread is not a goodbye thread
D
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Not sure on the "most" grow out of addiction, there are thousands here on SR whom moderation is a non starter, but sadly so many don't make it or become stuck in a continuous cycle of addiction over many years!!
Sure, lots of people grow out of excessive drinking. But then again, they aren't the ones asking themselves, or anyone else for that matter, if they are addicted. They just do it naturally without any questions or answers being raised in the first place.

However, those asking themselves if they might be addicted, do have underlying reasons for asking the question in the first place. Where there's smoke - there's fire.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I spent almost three years drinking hard...very hard..developed a fatty liver 2 years ago...quit for 1 year and 5 months...I loved getting drunk. i don't know if anything is wrong with that..it's all a matter of perspective and culture really...my life was messed up before i started hitting the bottle hard...i was just procrastinating on life....the booze wasn't my problem

when i got sober i started researching addiction..i voluntered in soup kitchens...talked to people on the street...read many books..watched videos...learned from the quacks to the realists and everything in between...

most grow out of addiction.anybody can do the research and find that out..a small percentage of people feel they need outside help such as a support group and an even smaller percentage believe they have no power over this thing...something like 8% of addicts believe this. I take peoples word for it who believe this. They have no way of proving it to me but i don't try to change their minds anymore..there are problems that have nothing to do with a substance..personality disorders or other mental conditions...sometimes to substance is a scapegoat..and it's an accepted scapegoat

I just thought i'd say that because it is honest

good luck to everyone...i am optimistic for all of you

Good luck to you as well Cabo.

For newly sober or contemplating getting that way, in the spirit of helping others - I wanted to comment on a couple things in your post. This is based on the premise of one is an alcoholic with alcoholism.

First, I find no research to indicate that only a "small percentage of people feel they need outside help". In fact, I find just the opposite. (If you have data or reference please let me know, I am interested in it's review). Many people who are truly seeking sobriety as a life changing event, and have come the conclusion they are alcoholics seek outside support - rehab, self help groups, therapy or counseling of some sort - this may be initially or for many years.

For alcoholics, yes there IS something really wrong about getting drunk and it more than just a cultural issue. It can be deadly to them and others. The ripples in the pond caused by one in active alcoholism is difficult to measure, but effects everyone around them typically.

I agree that an underlayment of mental issues, or just coping issues = just bored etc may be the real issues of partaking in over indulgence of the drink. Booze does not start as the root cause. Or it may be that mental health issues AND booze are both problems and one has become an alcoholic due to the health issues. That situation becomes intertwined and highly problematic.

In my research I see no evidence that suggests once the heavy drinker passes into full blown alcoholism it will ever change. In fact, just the opposite. It may be arrested but one does not outgrow real alcoholism. The good news it that neurogenesis does take place and damage is slowly repaired to the brain......of course, depending on each individual.

If an alcoholic returns to drinking after several years of sobriety in the same manner as before they quit, the results are usually much worse. The brain remember how we use to drink, but the body is screaming WTH?

I realize your premise here is that other issues, procrastination of life.....was the real challenge. Glad you have come to terms and are moving on!!! Nothing but best wishes!

But, for others who may read this and are thinking about starting a sober life I thought it might be helpful to clarify the line between non alcoholic and alcoholic. Ultimately each individual has to determine that for themselves.

Either way, it turns out not drinking is a great start on regeneration of the mind, body and spirit!

Thanks for the intriguing post
peace and Good Luck to all of us!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

me either as long as I don't pick up a drink (haven't for 6 years)

MM
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

If an alcoholic returns to drinking after several years of sobriety in the same manner as before they quit, the results are usually much worse. The brain remember how we use to drink, but the body is screaming WTH?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...teresting.html
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Good luck to you as well Cabo.

For newly sober or contemplating getting that way, in the spirit of helping others - I wanted to comment on a couple things in your post. This is based on the premise of one is an alcoholic with alcoholism.

First, I find no research to indicate that only a "small percentage of people feel they need outside help". In fact, I find just the opposite. (If you have data or reference please let me know, I am interested in it's review). Many people who are truly seeking sobriety as a life changing event, and have come the conclusion they are alcoholics seek outside support - rehab, self help groups, therapy or counseling of some sort - this may be initially or for many years.

For alcoholics, yes there IS something really wrong about getting drunk and it more than just a cultural issue. It can be deadly to them and others. The ripples in the pond caused by one in active alcoholism is difficult to measure, but effects everyone around them typically.

I agree that an underlayment of mental issues, or just coping issues = just bored etc may be the real issues of partaking in over indulgence of the drink. Booze does not start as the root cause. Or it may be that mental health issues AND booze are both problems and one has become an alcoholic due to the health issues. That situation becomes intertwined and highly problematic.

In my research I see no evidence that suggests once the heavy drinker passes into full blown alcoholism it will ever change. In fact, just the opposite. It may be arrested but one does not outgrow real alcoholism. The good news it that neurogenesis does take place and damage is slowly repaired to the brain......of course, depending on each individual.

I realize your premise here is that other issues, procrastination of life.....was the real challenge. Glad you have come to terms and are moving on!!! Nothing but best wishes!

But, for others who may read this and are thinking about starting a sober life I thought it might be helpful to clarify the line between non alcoholic and alcoholic. Ultimately each individual has to determine that for themselves.

Either way, it turns out not drinking is a great start on regeneration of the mind, body and spirit!

Thanks for the intriguing post
peace and Good Luck to all of us!
here are some statistics

i can't post links yet but you can go to the clean slate addiction site to find this type of information

the post is meant to be real..and in that way hopefully refreshing and helpful to somebody

the argument of a true alcoholic is one who will live in the chains of alcoholism for life doesn't fly with me...so only a true alcoholic is the 8% or anyone who believes what you are saying....well we have two different points of view i guess..telling me the alcoholic mind remembers or the allergy thing...it doesn't fly with me and i don't see why such negative beliefs help in any way

i have done the research really..but maybe it's better to have no point of view...or"no expectations" as one poster stated...to figure out what is really going on

thanks for your post.....

Cabo.....not letting me log in..i had to make another account for now