Notices

What constitutes a large amount of alcohol.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What constitutes a large amount of alcohol.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I had a question about how much alcohol is too much. I understand that it varies from person to person, but when do you know if you've gone too far?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi again Dag,
I see you found the alcoholism forum.

Governments around the world have ideas on what is a safe amount of alcohol to consume and what constitutes abuse.

There seem to be different levels that affect people differently. Some people drink huge amounts over an extended period, but have little trouble stopping when they have a good enough reason, like romance or health for example.

Others like me, had very good reasons for stopping, but found I was absolutely unable to leave it alone, no matter how great the need.

It wasn't so much about the quantity as it was about control and choice. If you find, when you honestly want to, you cannot stop entirely, or if when you start drinking you have little or no control over the amount you take, you might be an alcoholic of my type.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. I was quite a lightweight so it wasn't really the amount I drank but the way it affected me. xxxxxx
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

For me right now, 1 drink is going to far! So, I think you already have your answer for yourself. One of the member's signature lines goes something like this "Everyone who can stop at one drink doesn't have a voice inside telling them they can" I use that line every time my AV says I don't have a problem
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dag - Welcome
the thing is alcoholisms not a comparative thing.

I don't think how much we drink matters as much as what happens to us when we do.
What really matters is where your line is on going too far.

You're obviously here for a reason - what problems have bought you here?
D
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

if you are here for an alcohol problem..I would say for now..any is too much. So put down the cocktail and stay a while
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me one was too many and when i drank a million wasn't enough.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started becoming alarmed about my drinking when I noticed that I could drink longer. This last binge started on Friday, and I didn't stop until yesterday afternoon. And as soon as I got sober again I started again. In the past I could go a few months, but that was only when I was with my ex fiancée. Any time we had problems, I turned to alcohol, and last August I ended up getting alcoholic hepatitis, but that doesn't seem to stop me from wanting to drink.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The CDC says - 5 drinks for men and 4 for women in 2 hours or less is binge drinking.

CDC - Fact Sheets-Binge Drinking - Alcohol

I know what would be too much for me..... THE FIRST DRINK!! Mainly because I would not be able to stop after that. 5 beers in 2 hours was pretty easy for me when I quit..... I was drinking a beer about every 15 minutes or so.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAG417 View Post
I started becoming alarmed about my drinking when I noticed that I could drink longer. This last binge started on Friday, and I didn't stop until yesterday afternoon. And as soon as I got sober again I started again. In the past I could go a few months, but that was only when I was with my ex fiancée. Any time we had problems, I turned to alcohol, and last August I ended up getting alcoholic hepatitis, but that doesn't seem to stop me from wanting to drink.
If you have liver problems it's time to stop man.
It's possible..a lot of us have done it..and you have our support
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and making me feel welcome here. The liver problems are definitely grabbing my attention. And the fears and concerns of my friends and family.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One glass for me is a large amount for me, far too much.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i think its more interesting to ask yourself how much is too little (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9... drinks). If too little, whatever that is, turns out to be an amount that is not enough to get you drunk, then you know how much a large amount of drink is. A large amount of drink is by definition enough to get you drunk.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't stop after the first, and it's always hard liquor. Even when it's a ridiculously large amount that I'm drinking, I just seem to find it too hard to stop.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe to put it into a better perspective, When I got off work on Friday, I came home with a liter of Jager, and the next morning I ran out so I went and bought a 1.5 bottle of Jack Daniels, and I still couldn't stop. I just went out sunday morning and bought another bottle. I don't know how many drinks that is, but I feel really ashamed about it.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's not that much for some of us DAG...a whole lot for a lot of us... this should be a wake up call for you.. physically you are at a crossroads here...with your health.. you can turn it around right now
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're right. It is definitely a crossroads for me. Even when I'm drinking, I start thinking about getting help for this problem, because I know it's only a matter of time until it gets even more serious.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think binge drinking like you describe is definitely something to stop.

Have you stopped drinking yet? I only ask for the purposes of withdrawal. You may want to see a Dr, just to be safe...
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did, but I started up again because the urge was too strong. I might go see my doctor, or maybe go back to detox and find out about getting help. I think my drinking problem has a lot to do with other issues I've had in the past.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm very curious about how people here at the forum feel about rehab, because I am considering it, even though it could mean losing my job.