Notices

I Drank and Now I'm Trouble

Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Of course you belong Turning. You can rise above this dark time and live again in a new way. The days of alcohol making us feel better are over - it does nothing but add to our anxiety and misery. You don't need it - and you can get free.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
newhope, thank you so much. I find that there is a sense of being "politically correct" on this forum. However, I know that I belong because I get PM's who seem to understand me. Alcoholism takes many different forms and some who abuse booze do not have the mental disorders.
Or maybe some of us have been exactly where you are - an individual so depressed, hopeless, and maybe even suicidal that drinking seems like the only answer. Maybe we have been there and gotten through it and know you can too. Maybe we know drinking only makesit worse, makes it seem like there is no way out. Maybe we remember what it is to only be able to see that, so we're trying to give you some light, some hope. Maybe we know things can get better for anyone, but only if we put down the bottle and take some positive action.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey, as far as the mental disorder... I've suffered from anxiety and depression since I was a kid; I also am 99% sure I have ADD. Alcohol seemed to make me feel better, but it only made things worse.

Since I've gotten sober and started working on these mental disorders, I've found they have improved more than I could ever have dreamed. It's taken lots of work, therapy, AA meetings, step work, yoga and patience, but in my experience, sobering up was the absolute best thing I ever did for my life.

When I quit drinking, I was suicidal. (I've also attempted suicide and have been involuntarily locked up in a county psych ward when I was younger for the suicide attempt.) I felt worthless and hopeless. The withdrawals put me in such a state of delusion that I was pretty insane (from what I remember...).

So I speak from experience when I say that alcohol does nothing but make mental health problems worse. Sure, temporarily we might feel better, but in the long run, it's an absolute disaster. We can only begin to heal if we quit drinking.

I'm pulling for you and everyone else here who is struggling. Honest. But you've got to be the one to decide that no matter what anyone else says or thinks, you are absolutely worth fighting for. You're a good man, otherwise you wouldn't even be here. There's obviously a part of you that wants better. You deserve it.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
I find that there is a sense of being "politically correct" on this forum.
I don't know what that means. If you're referring to the relative absence of forced drama, frivolous confrontation and gratuitous criticism, then you're probably right.

There are many sites that tolerate and even encourage bad behavior, including sites that claim to offer help and support for people who are struggling with a range of conditions, and the discussions invariably end up going down an ugly path.

SR is somewhat unique in that it doesn't tolerate keyboard heroes whose main thrust is to disrupt, damage and destroy in the service of ego gratification. SR seems to achieve this both through written policy and an unpublished and flexible setting of boundaries by its contributors.

If I'm unable to respect other people on an anonymous message board, what is it that I'm missing about the way I treat people in the rest of my life?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

O well "end game". You win. Your response is very classic on here. I am someone who is sufffering so much right now. I am living in hell and look for sympathy. I receive some PM's that encourage me to keep trying despite others here.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=EndGameNYC;4478002]There are many sites that tolerate and even encourage bad behavior, including sites that claim to offer help and support for people who are struggling with a range of conditions, and the discussions invariably end up going down an ugly path.

Maybe you could PM me those sites? I haven't been here very long but find the support to be lacking. I came here to get compassion not judgements. In the end it doesn't matter because internet type support is filled with people who lie and deceive. I know I need face to face support so I can get real help.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beat of luck to you turning.
Hope you find the quality of support you feel you need.

Thread closed.

D