Notices

Accidental drink

Old 01-31-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental drink

Before I start I know I am pretty cynical and would probably doubt my story but it is totally true.

So basically was staying away with family for a couple of nights and had the kids with me to got o the beach. The family aren't big drinkers maybe a glass of wine with tea and ones a non drinker. so I usually feel quite comfortable

Whilst playing table tennis with the kids in the spare room I helped myself to a small 375ml bottle labelled mineral water, pink in colour. There were a few bottles of it together in amongst assorted drinks, lemonade, mineral waters, ginger beer, wine and cider and whatever else is in spare fridges.

Gave it a passing thought that it was pink and must be some new flavoured mineral water and it tasted good. Shared a bottle with the kids.

Found out later when they found the empty that I had sampled their home made rhubarb wine which they had rebottled in the mineral water bottles. The look on my face must have said it all and I think they assumed it was because the kids had some. I was quickly reassured that it was probably barely even alcoholic but I assume that was to make me feel better.

At the end of the day when I rationalize it, I unintentionally drank about 1/3 of a bottle of low alcoholic wine by mistake. Compared to things I have done in the past when drunk I know it is nothing really and doesn't affect my sobriety.

But ........I worked so hard the past 20 months and cant help feeling disappointed and guilty. I can no longer say to myself that I havn't had a drop of alcohol and being honest with myself is pretty important right now.

Also a little voice straight away piped up and said "oh well might as well get stuck right in now you've stuffed up, all bets are off" I have thought abouthat and laughed it off but I cant deny that it wasn't there.

Anyone done anything like this before ??
Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. You didn't know it was wine, and when you found out, you didn't continue drinking.

Wonder what the kids thought about it.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by nigey1 View Post
Before I start I know I am pretty cynical and would probably doubt my story but it is totally true.

So basically was staying away with family for a couple of nights and had the kids with me to got o the beach. The family aren't big drinkers maybe a glass of wine with tea and ones a non drinker. so I usually feel quite comfortable

Whilst playing table tennis with the kids in the spare room I helped myself to a small 375ml bottle labelled mineral water, pink in colour. There were a few bottles of it together in amongst assorted drinks, lemonade, mineral waters, ginger beer, wine and cider and whatever else is in spare fridges.

Gave it a passing thought that it was pink and must be some new flavoured mineral water and it tasted good. Shared a bottle with the kids.

Found out later when they found the empty that I had sampled their home made rhubarb wine which they had rebottled in the mineral water bottles. The look on my face must have said it all and I think they assumed it was because the kids had some. I was quickly reassured that it was probably barely even alcoholic but I assume that was to make me feel better.

At the end of the day when I rationalize it, I unintentionally drank about 1/3 of a bottle of low alcoholic wine by mistake. Compared to things I have done in the past when drunk I know it is nothing really and doesn't affect my sobriety.

But ........I worked so hard the past 20 months and cant help feeling disappointed and guilty. I can no longer say to myself that I havn't had a drop of alcohol and being honest with myself is pretty important right now.

Also a little voice straight away piped up and said "oh well might as well get stuck right in now you've stuffed up, all bets are off" I have thought abouthat and laughed it off but I cant deny that it wasn't there.

Oh no, never do that, you certainly haven't stuffed up. Just move on and don't worry about it, it wasn't your fault. I once had a sip of someone else's drink by mistake and just quickly ate some nibble to get rid of the taste and was fine. I didn't consider it a relapse or anything. Just never drink pink mineral water again, unless it;s from a shop xxxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't say that I've done anything exactly like that, but to me claiming my time isn't about things like that. I have not intentionally drank or drugged or returned to my old life in just over a year. If there happened to be something that went in my system in that time, oh well. Too bad. If anyone has a strong desire to have me change my time because something like that happened, I feel sorry for them. They're getting all wrapped up in my stuff and have twice the load to carry now.

Be honest about it. Tell everyone who knows you're sober. And keep your time. It will become a story to tell. And the power will be taken out of it because you won't be able to convince yourself that you've already relapsed. Because you didn't. You drank mineral water. Someone just changed it on you.

Out of curiosity, though, did any cravings kick in and stay?

Edit: I guess I have had alcohol in the past year, now that I think about it. 40% Madagascar bourbon vanilla downstairs that I mix with pancake batter, and I don't always cook pancakes to solid dry... Sometimes I like em doughy. And I always taste the batter before I cook it to make sure it tastes right. I also stopped smoking and use an e-cig. The juice is propylene glycol based, which is basically alcohol. It's gotten in my mouth before, with nicotine. I'm not going to stop making pancakes and testing the batter and I'm not going to stop vaping. They don't destroy my life. I'm not powerless over them... Well, maybe the vaping, but that's more for the nicotine, and I just quit smoking actual cigs. I'm sure if I think about it I can find another example. The point is my life is different today. I don't put alcohol in my body with the intent of putting alcohol in my body. That's enough for me.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did you suspect at any point while drinking the stuff that it was alcoholic?

If not, then (1) you didn't slip and (2) don't beat yourself up over it.

You didn't slip because you didn't intentionally seek it out. It would be a cruel process to lose sobriety if you had to start over anytime you ingested alcohol--most notably when you did it accidentally. If someone gave me a glass of clear liquid that was supposed to be club soda and there was vodka in it, I'd take that first sip, dump it out and forget it happened.

Of course I smell my drinks when I'm unsure these days, but I wouldn't regard the purposeful or accidental presentation of alcohol by the other person a slip. Other people could then intervene in making you lose sobriety with a joke or ruse. I don't think that's how sobriety should work.

It sounds like you made all the right choices regarding the incident after you discovered it was alcohol. You stopped, you understood there was an issue and you moved on. Assuming you were completely ignorant it was alcohol in the first place, I think your 20 months are still intact.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeh thanks guys I sort of don't feel bad about it but I also do if that makes sense.

Its the old self blame too I have bad habits of looking backwards and seeing where I should have known otherwise or done better and beating myself up. My own harshest critic at times.

I would wake up and repeat a mantra that no alcohol has passed these lips in ..... and none will today either. Can't use that now.

For the record Steve no cravings whatsoever and wouldn't have known any different had they not told me.

The kids laughed their heads off.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nah I didn't find out until about 6 hours later and had no idea at the time. Just looking back now I think I probably should have known, the cap wouldn't have been sealed properly and who the hell has ever seen pink mineral water.

Meanwhile out in the real world people starve and live rough whilst I have a fantastic life so I will stop beating myself up now. Just wanted to share.

I like your outlook Steve.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kind of up to you. I've tasted rhubarb. It's got it's own taste which I don't think I'd mistake for mineral water, but like I said, it's your call.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeh thanks guys I sort of don't feel bad about it but I also do if that makes sense.

Its the old self blame too I have bad habits of looking backwards and seeing where I should have known otherwise or done better and beating myself up. My own harshest critic at times.

I would wake up and repeat a mantra that no alcohol has passed these lips in ..... and none will today either. Can't use that now.

For the record Steve no cravings whatsoever and wouldn't have known any different had they not told me.

The kids laughed their heads off.
Perhaps they aren't very good at making wine and it didn't work. Now there's a thought xxxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes
a few years back the wife and I were out in the desert in our motorhome
I didn't know it but
she had poured some of her strong dark beer into a Lipton tea bottle
there it was in the refrigerator looking just like tea
I took down one big gulp and didn't know what the heck was going on
I must have had a dumb founded look on my face
until the MountainLady told me that it was beer

in no way did this effect my sobriety date
and we should not fool ourselves into thinking
oh well now I may as well have a few

we just need to be more careful

Mountainman
Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great attitude, Bob xxx
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Kind of up to you. I've tasted rhubarb. It's got it's own taste which I don't think I'd mistake for mineral water, but like I said, it's your call.
Not real sure what you are trying to say. My question was if anyone had similar experiences.

I stated a couple of times I had no idea what it was, just a sweet/tart sugary drink I took a couple of thirsty gulps from and passed to my kids.

We buy lemon, lime, orange, all sorts of flavoured mineral waters at home for what its worth.

I come here for support because for my own reasons I cant share much with family and friends.

You remind me of why I don't post much on here.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

In my experience only, relapse is in the intention and follow through.

I have twice had a sizeable swallow of an actual drink. Both times I ordered a diet coke and there was rum in it. I handed it to my husband for him to check, and when he determined it was alcoholic he went back and exchanged it.

Personally, I do not consider either of those relapses. If I'd kept my mouth shut and finished the drink, that would have been a relapse. Again, my experience and opinion only.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Don't let it worry you, Nigey, it wasn't a relapse and that's that xxxx
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The overwhelming majority of the responses were positive and supportive, Nigey. I hope you won't allow one less than helpful response keep you from posting.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hear, hear!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Popcorn?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Nigey, you did not slip. You did not know. Don't let one judgmental post get you down. I am glad you reached out. It could as easy been any of us. You are doing great.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Had a friend once tricked into drinking vodka.. The water in his water bottle was replaced by vodka and put back in the fridge. He had one gulp and gagged. I Didn't think it was very funny.

He didn't count it as a slip because it was not his intention to consume any alcohol and immediately went to bed afterward and I agreed with him. I think you should be proud of your resolve not to drink, even after discovering you had some by mistake. Don't beat yourself up, instead give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went to mass once with my sponsor. I was about 3 years sober. I took communion, not thinking about the cup having wine in it. When I realized it was wine, I mentioned how bothered I was to my sponsor. His only comment was, "remember where you are and why you're here." That was the end of it.

My only point was, check your motives. If your motives were honest, and it was truly a case of "ooops" then there's nothing to feel disappointed or guilty about. Hell, people make mistakes all the time. Doesn't mean you're no longer sober, or that you've caused any real damage. It's a learning experience. Learn from it and next time, don't pick up a drink you're not sure of.