Notices

Accidental drink

Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

So, you shouldn't use it. I rarely do. I have none in the house at this time. However, if I get sick and need to breathe while I sleep at night, I will use it.

It's just like anything else. If you have a problem with it, then avoid it. I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with caffeine, and I don't have a problem with taking medication as directed. If you do, then by all means, don't do it.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

suki, I sometimes had to turn to a variety of household and cooking products when I had no money. I used my food stamp card to buy vanilla extract and all sorts of other stuff (which I won't name) to get drunk. In Russia, they have a problem with bootleg vodka. It is mixed with anti-freeze.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Boy ,Judgemental comments are such a turnoff! Hell I smoked pot 3 times and hated each one as it interfered with my ability to breathe. I never did any drugs on purpose other then alcohol. But I will be damned if I care what someone says about my better half giving me a 1/2 a xanax when she sees i'm unable to sleep and need to to work! Think I have taken that 6-7 times in 34 years and always argue I don't need it. But she knows better as men who carry large pieces of glass or mirror need their sleep! Stay strong and well all!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That is very sad, turninganewleaf, but, I'm not sure what it is you want me to say. I've tried to explain my feeling that we don't ALL have the same level of addiction. While having vanilla or NyQuil or mouthwash that contains alcohol in MY home is not a problem for ME, I am in no way saying that these things would not pose a hazard to YOU.

We all have to figure out what works or does not work for us, as individual addicts.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You did not know and realize it was alcohol (probably some very weak stuff), not a slip and not a relapse. Things happen. I am pretty careful at home (even get non alcoholic mouth wash) but I am not an hermit and do eat out sometimes. Who knows? Maybe I have ingested at some point something with trace of alcohol without realizing it or maybe not. I am careful but I don't plan on turning all fanatic either.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

suki, I also used to drink hand sanitizer in the hospital because it contained alcohol. I guess my point is these things can lead me back to the real alcohol. I apologize if I come off as judgmental. I am just very considered for everyone. Drinking mouthwash and stuff like it is more common than people think.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't think you're being judgmental, I think you're just explaining how deep your addiction goes. I really hate to know these things, but at the same time, I do know they exist. I do know that I am extremely lucky, and thankful, to not have that deep an addiction.

I realize that there are many who drink mouthwash, who drink hand sanitizer, who grab onto anything they can find. I've known people who chew their fentanyl patches. I hope you don't think I am naive about addiction. I am not. Addiction is a horrible and terrifying disease. I know this.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

suki, I also turned to that kind of alcohol on Sundays when they do not serve booze until Noon. I even tried to make it myself but it didn't turn our right. I've been sober about 2 months now and just beginning to feel a little better.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm glad to know you are 2 months sober and feeling better! That's wonderful.

Keep plugging along. You will have good days and some not so good days, but just keep pushing forward...you can do this. We are all here to help support you in any way we can. I hope you'll continue reading and posting here. It definitely will help.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks suki. I believe I may have some "wet brain" though from the amount of alcohol and drugs I consumed over 15 years.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I ordered a Ginger Beer a few months ago and drank it. It was not my usual brand and I didn't like it. I later found out that it was a brand of alcoholic Ginger Beer. I was livid. Fuming. I wrote a strongly worded letter, got resentful, made phone calls, considering speaking to a lawyer etc. Sounds insane right? Yep I was acting drunk days after I'd had one drink. Dry but not sober.
The point is that I wanted a non-alcoholic beverage and got served an alcoholic one. I drank it believing I was drinking a soda not unwittingly consuming alcohol. So its not a slip, lapse or a mistake, it happened and next time I'll ask and not assume.
It would be no different if a practicing Muslim or Jew asked for a Pizza with no Pork or Ham and got served and ate a Pizza with Peperoni in it and then found out it was a Pork product, not beef. They would not burn in hell, but would feel offended and p*ssed which is how I felt.
I remember years ago the same thing happened when I "accidentally" had a beer at about three weeks sober and I took it as a sign that this whole "not drinking" thing was a waste of time and I'd had a drink so may as well get loose. Which I did and continued to do.
When sobriety is for life, who is counting? I've been sober 16 months and had to think of that for a moment because I'd lost count. There is no milestone other than a life without alcohol and taking it one day at a time. Don't let this spoil your day, its throwing a lifeline to your addiction.
Johno
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ask yourself a question and be honest. No one needs explanations nor reasons, this is all about you.

Were you aware at all that you were about to or were drinking alcohol? If the honest answer is no, then no, you didn't slip.

If you were aware in any way of what you were doing it was a slip.

The conditions or reasons don't matter. No reply to this thread will change the above. What we think doesn't matter. The answer lies within.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm aware of how much "time" I have, because I know what date I quit. But, by and large I am not "counting days". The whole concept of "losing time", IMO can be destructive for some people. Also, counting to me leaves me with a feeling that I don't care for.

That said...

Our OP is 4 mos shy of 2 YEARS! That's awesome. SO awesome. Why in the world ANYONE would rob themselves of that achievement, or suggest that the OP should reset their sobriety date- due to something that was honestly unintentional - is just beyond me. It think that's BS. But, that's just me. ("ESN, tell us what you really think." lol ;-))

If I have a problem kicking things when I'm angry, and promise myself never to do it again- am I going to beat myself up for stubbing my toe on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night? NOPE. The two are totally unrelated.

This is the kind of thing that could knock someone off their center, in the absence of reassurance and support. To come this far and have an honest accident rob you of your "time" and all that hard work? No way man!

All that matters is what our OP thinks and I'm in the cheering section!! When I see you guys succeeding, it inspires me and keeps me going. But, I realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm. Meh- whaddayagonnado? :-)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
What do people intend when they post a popcorn eating smiley?

My experience on other forums is that people use it when they know the discussion is going to get heated up and people are going to start to disagree - it's like they sit back and watch the entertainment with their bucket of popcorn.

Someone tell me it doesn't mean that here, please.
He's a cute little smiley face and I loooove popcorn. But, thanks for noticing.