Notices
View Poll Results: What is the duration of your hangovers?
I don't get hangovers (please explain if you vote for this)
17.23%
Usually my hangover lasts just a few hours
12.18%
I feel better the next day after a nights sleep
21.43%
Usually it takes 2-3 days before Im back to "normal"
49.16%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Hangovers Poll - How long does yours last?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

My hangovers could be cured easily with a cheesesteak and a beer or bloody mary but in the last year I dealt with terrible withdrawls ,binge drinking.I would be ill for at least 3 to 4 days..Shaking sometimes slight muscle spasms,vomiting up nothing,sweating,hot flashes.no sleep whatsoever,not eating or drinking water,pretty much imobile,unless of course I had it in me to go get something like beer to ease the symptoms!!!I always had servere dehyydration,my skin would be red and flaky for days..Id get rashes and bumps here and there...ugh!!!!!What a nightmare..I will never forget so I never go back to that way of life.10 days today!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Oh ,it gets worse than just drinking in the mornings ,It can progress to where you wake up in the middle of the night with the shakes ,and have to drink then .
*Sigh*

Think before you type.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
*Sigh*

Think before you type.
Don't understand what your point is ?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Snoozy, I have felt that way so many days. I really felt death would be nicer than to be this sick! I had hangovers when I would vomit all day and night, there was nothing in my stomach at that point but I would dry heave until I couldn't breath. I would try sleep and I just couldn't. My body just would not go to sleep. It was awful. I would also try to be as still as possible so I would not puke again. The worst times were when I was on Prozac or celexa . I would drink a lot one night and then I would wake up and feel insane. I would hypervenilate, and say weird stuff to my husband that made no sense. It was scary. Now I barely ever vomit, I just wake up and feel regret, my head hurts and I am foggy feeling all day. I can't eat much and feel like I may barf but hardly ever do anymore. I feel bad for 2-3 days these days. I get mean, have no patience, no energy etc. I think at this point it is withdrawl.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I voted 2-3 days untill back to 'normal'. if I have a hangover, its because I've run out of money to just do the hair of the dog thing.

During that hangover, I am completely not myself; constantly disoriented, craving intimacy and companionship, I'll even reach out to long lost friends who I haven't spoken to in years, I'll make arrangements to start therapy etc.. Then after I'm feeling like myself again I'm back to being cold and generally indifferent to everything, so I drink again because I feel I can control it this time, and maybe I can meet my obligations when constantly buzzed, but eventually I over-do it once again and the cycle repeats itself.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I did not get hangovers just withdrawl and then I would just drink again so I was permanently drunk or semi drunk depending on the time of day it was.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

A few hours to a day
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I answered but it's really incorrect. I was a weekend binge drinker and thought that by Tuesday I was almost back to normal. It took me almost a full month away from alcohol to realize that I never felt normal, I only thought that's what I was feeling. It was amazing to feel good for the first time in a long time. To "really" feel good.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

One whole day for me. My sleep after a night of drinking is awful, so much of my hangover is also pure exhaustion. I can have a great sober nights sleep the next night and feel incredible the next day. But it gets even back as I string together more consecutive time even. Usually a few drinks while I'm hungover makes me feel so much better, so that makes not drinking that day even harder. Ugh. I don't think so bounced back so quickly 2 years ago when I was drinking heavily daily for years though. Anyway, that hungover day is terrible and a waste and I never want one again
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am on day 1 again so yes I feel hungover. I drank about 4 litres of beer last night. Woke up at 7:30 a.m. still drunk, went to work, chugged two vitamin waters, ate a pound of assorted fruit, then ate a sandwich. Then proceeded out of my jobsite office to get some carpentry work done.

After I feel the food start to digest I begin to get terrible bloating, fast heart rate, dizziness and weak feeling in my legs.

I have worked fairly hard all day, sweating it out a bit, but I still feel slightly crappy and in need of a good steak and potatoes tonight.

When Hungover I eat all done long otherwise I feel weak and tired.

My hangovers usually just last the one day. (On four litres of beer) Four beers I would be fine right now.....didn't happen

Some weekends when I drink Friday and Saturday night I am hungover for a day and a half after that.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I guess it depends on how you define "hangover"
If you define it as "how long did it take me to feel normal last time". I would have to say about a year.
I drank for about 30 years. I quit a few times in those 30 years. The longest time about 6 months. I damn sure didn't feel "normal" those 6 months..
When I first quit 5 years ago. I had no idea where my emotions were going from day to day. I blew up for no reason that first year more times than I can count. I didn't know what to do with myself without my "old friend"at least the first 3 to 6 months. A lot of times when I drove by a liquor store,I would just stare at it as I drove by. Like some sort of religious temple or something. There were times I no doubt had white knuckles because I wanted to drink so bad.
Life was "brand new" in a lot of ways. I could drive after dark. I was always too drunk before quitting. I quit watching the 3 movies I had on top of the vcr I was always too drunk to look at anything else. So television was somewhat reborn.
I started to look my neighbors in the eye again. For some reason I couldn't do that while drinking,even when i was sober(I think I did when I was drunk). I could go on but I think you get the point.
Yep To sum it up. For me to settle down into some sort of routine. I gotta say my last hangover lasted about a year.

Fred
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Mine could last three of four days x
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I suppose I'll be the jerk since no one else has yet. The sheer name of this post really threw me for a loop. My first thought was how it read in a way that appeared to glorify drinking and I felt disrespected reading it.

I don't plan to ever have another hangover and don't wish to be reminded of the hell I have climbed out of.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

well I don't drink now so I never get hangovers
back when I did drink I didn't get them either

never really suffered from hangovers when drinking hard

Mountainman
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
p***enger

I never used to have bad hangovers because I drank very steadily but slowly over long periods and as my intake increased I started in the mornings so I never really came out of it.

However once I started trying to sober up I started to occasionally binge drink which I'd never done before -- and those hangovers take days to recover from.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Not really a "funny topic" for me, unfortunately. I do remember that in the end, that numbness and panic that came with the withdrawals was so bad, I was actually missing an old-fashioned hangover with a splitting headache.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

The topic grew out of another thread discussing hangovers and withdrawal and if there was a difference.

No disrespect intended I'm sure.

D
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Yes, no disrespect or offence was intended, I was just curious if anyone else suffered with looooong hangovers and thought we could discuss if indeed long hangovers might actually be withdrawals.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I voted for I dont get hangovers. I used to.. horrible headaches, nausea, etc.
Last ten years or so, i would be tired the next morning, but thats about it. Not sure why, i switched from primarily beer to primarly vodka/club soda so maybe more hydration. Ive also not had the spins or vomited from drinking (while actually drinking way more) in as long as i can remember. Im guessing the physical reasons probably arent great. THANK GOODNESS i never could tolerate or really even consider the "hair of the dog". Wasnt because of willpower, even to this day (well, 10 days ago) i had a very hard time drinking two days in a row. Probably saved my life or at least let me remain a functional alcoholic for a long time.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

a timely question for me. i just came off a stupid, stupid bender and yesterday i thought i might die, and kind of hoped i would.

constant, constant vomiting even with nothing there to throw up. i hadn't eaten or taken my meds since saturday. i couldn't even keep water down, had visual disturbance and at one point got up to get water and just plain collapsed.

kindling is a fact. i can't go there again.