Notices

How to go to a meeting?

Old 11-29-2022, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to go to a meeting?

They have one every tuesday, i just don't know what to do. as a new person i should show up a little bit early. i haven't gone to one before. so what do i need to think about? How much information should i give about myself? hopefull for help.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just show up and tell em your new. You are welcome to tell them what you have been going through but no obligation - you can go into all the gorey detail and folk will listen and identify. They will make a fuss over you if you're a newcomer and take your number and stuff. I would say it's a very positive experience and the kind of support and understanding that you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else.

Report back!
Old 11-29-2022, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply BrianinLondon. Don't know how much they should know. they're bound to recognize me since i live in the neighbourgh. But do they have to know that i got wasted my first time at 13 years old. got drunk several times after and during those years. ?
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vik88 View Post
Thanks for the reply BrianinLondon. Don't know how much they should know. they're bound to recognize me since i live in the neighbourgh. But do they have to know that i got wasted my first time at 13 years old. got drunk several times after and during those years. ?
You're among people who have done exactly the same thing. You don't need to do anything to "qualify" to be there. Just a sincere desire to stop drinking. Noone is going to be judging you in any way. They will want to help and support you. Just be totally honest cos that's what it's all about. It's the only place you can go where you don't have to worry about what people think of you and can say all of the shameful things you did etc
Old 11-29-2022, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Brianin. Next tuesday and i'm there. i hope you're still here. i could use some support before going to the meeting
Old 11-29-2022, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Vik88, go to the meeting with an open mind and look for the similarities. They will be easy to find and will help you feel part of. I have been to meetings across California, the United States, and foreign countries (some, where English is not the language of the country); and I always instantly feel like I am home. We know and understand each other, even though we are meeting for the first time. There are no strangers in AA, just people I haven't met yet!!

Old 11-29-2022, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Vik, Brian makes some good points, however you're under no obligation to share anything more than you're comfortable with. For now, since it is your first AA meeting, I would just get a feel for the group, and the process, before sharing too many of your personal history. Other than that, enjoy it. They love new members, haha.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may be blown away by the similarities that we have.

Many of us have issues with anxiety, depression. Feel like we don't quite fit in, the round peg in the square hole.

I started smoking pot at 9 years old. I tried alcohol before 14, but 14 is where I could put my finger on where the my real chemistry with alcohol began.

Some people and for different reasons, circumstances or whatever don't develop alcoholism until middle age. I think us early or mid teenage year alcoholics are more common. Its when I think for many the first access to alcohol combines with the underlying alcoholism.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There may be some online too….I’ve attended Zoom meetings online through Smart Recovery where I just communicate through chat without my camera or microphone on.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like BrianinLondon said, "just show up and tell them that you are new".

When I did that years ago, the meeting shifted to a "newcomers meeting" and a bunch of people welcomed me and shared their stories of how they got to AA. The purpose was to make me comfortable, and it worked. As a newcomer, you don't need to say anything. I've seen newcomers open up and share right away. And I've seen others not say a word for months.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
There may be some online too….I’ve attended Zoom meetings online through Smart Recovery where I just communicate through chat without my camera or microphone on.
I gotta check if there is a version here in swedish. it would be easier to start that way
Old 12-15-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Do you think there is a chance where one as a swede could show up?
Old 12-15-2022, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what you mean - Have a look on the SMART Recovery website Vik

https://www.smartrecoverysverige.se/...ecovery-moten/