Notices

Back on the sauce

Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the sauce

not sure who remembers me.

After 25 years of daily drinking I quit on 7-28-13.

I lasted almost 4 months; started drinking in moderation around Thanksgiving.

Was then good for several weeks just drinking a beer or 2 here and there.

Got buzzed for the first time on booze last night and I am drinking right now.

I am off work until January 2 and I plan on cutting loose and eating and drinking what I want until then.

I plan on dieting and cleaning up my act for 2014.

I an sure this is the type of promise millions of abusers are making; hopefully mine will be real.

The 4 months of sobriety was good; but drinking is good too. Stressing about it all is what was hell.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It is particularly hard for people in early sobriety this time of year, so you aren't the first and won't be the last. I can't tell you what to do, only to keep safe. I hope you co crack it in the new year and keep posting, it's doable, honest x
Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember you Doug - welcome back
The problem with drinking through Xmas is none of us can know what might happen - even just a couple of weeks is long enough for everything you love and hold dear to turn to crap.

I'm not sure if you've had a sober Christmas, but it is a wonderful thing to have. I have a lot of warm memories over the past seven - and nothing I flinch at.

Why wait to reclaim your life?
I hope you'll reconsider this last hurrah idea and decide to make this year a sober holiday
Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post

I plan on dieting and cleaning up my act for 2014.

I an sure this is the type of promise millions of abusers are making; hopefully mine will be real.
wish you well with that
hopefully this will be the one for you

Mountainman
Old 12-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

The 4 months of sobriety was good; but drinking is good too. Stressing about it all is what was hell.

This is exactly what most of us here who are really struggling right now, don't need to hear.

Ugh.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Doug!! I agree with Dee. I am very new to sobriety, but things are going well. So much can happen between now and jan. 1. Why not try a sober Christmas?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I didn't think drinking was good at all during the last few years it was a necessity in my mad brain rather than a pleasure. Perhaps that made it easier for me to stop in the end. I dunno. It's a weird, weird thing.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey Doug.

I remember you, but not your specifics.

After reading your comments, I'm left wondering what motivated you to post what you did.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

This is exactly what most of us here who are really struggling right now, don't need to hear.

Ugh.
AO - The problem with people posting while drinking is they are not thinking straight. Perhaps Doug39 is going to get ripped and kill someone in a accident and spend the rest of his life in jail - we don't know and he is taking that risk, you are not.

Go read you older posts and I encourage the OP to do the same - it helps remind us what things we like for each of us when we first joined. Remember the **** you dealt with - this post is deluded thinking that will never pan out - Doug39 just has not learned this yet. An active alcoholic is like a plane in free fall - its bound to crash, the when is the question.

Doug - I think you posted this back in Sept. see how cunning this disease is:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...am-wine-2.html
Old 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck Doug. I remember when you first quit your doctor recommended as well and prescribed some meds to quit due to high blood pressure issues. What was his advice when you started drinking again?

Tounge in cheek of course, but things will get worse this time, they always do. I hope you can quit before they get to a point where you can't control them anymore.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Doug. Sounds like a pretty bad plan to me. You already know that, though. I've got a better one. Go to bed, sleep it off and start day 1 tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

lets take a chill pill.

This is a recovery board.

There always are, and there always will be, folks drinking here, especially at this time of year.

It's our job to welcome them, share our experience and wish them well - not to judge them, to forecast doom and destruction upon them, or to suggest they're unwelcome.

I think the weight of posts here is overwhelmingly for recovery.

If posts like this trigger you, move on, read another thread...and it's probably good to ask yourself why out of the thousands of recovery posts here, this one grabbed you so hard?

D
Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We're all here to support you come January 2nd or any other day you'd like to quit drinking.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

No triggers here but it made me feel quite emotional. I think it's ok for people who are drinking to remind us never to go back because we are reading it first hand, so Doug is actually benefiting folks with his posts I think, and hopefully benefiting himself by talking it through and perhaps taking some stuff onboard.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets get back to responding to Doug

I hope you'll check back in, Doug

D
Old 12-21-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know how many times I'VE quit - But I KNOW FOR A FACT that what I've been learning from ALL of You is that the more times I actually TRY and keep coming back and Posting and Reading all this good stuff - And it's ALL GOOD - That My success rate WILL improve with time and periods of abstinence.

Thank You ALL.

AL xoxo
Merry Xmas !!!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am not offended by anyone that posted a negative response to my decision to drink again.

First off, I am in no way abusing alcohol in the fashion that I was in the past and I have no intention to do so.

My 50 year old body can not handle it and I truly believe I have a handle on it.

Over the last 25 years I adjusted my life around alcohol; now I can take it or leave it.

Alcohol will be abundant over the next few weeks and instead of fighting it I will imbibe socially if the occasion arises. I am no longer using alcohol to run from reality.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I remember you Doug. That 4 month wall can be a tough one. I'm glad your at least posting.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

First off, I am in no way abusing alcohol in the fashion that I was in the past and I have no intention to do so.

My 50 year old body can not handle it and I truly believe I have a handle on it.

Over the last 25 years I adjusted my life around alcohol; now I can take it or leave it.

Alcohol will be abundant over the next few weeks and instead of fighting it I will imbibe socially if the occasion arises. I am no longer using alcohol to run from reality.
I said all these things Doug - I sincerely hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

I'm confused tho - just for my own edification, in your first post, what does 'cleaning up my act' refer to if it's not sobriety?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can relate to that "50 year old body" thing - just as of late, I have been having stomach problems-and the thing is too, that when I'm not drinking alcohol I am constantly drinking strong coffee, with Lots of sugar in it-NEVER seeming to give My guts any Rest period, as well as over-eating. Just to much of too much of everything !!! YIKES !