Notices

Was tired of counting the days

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Doug - my post did not come through - computer probs. I looked at your past posts - as of 11/17/13 you were posting about how you had 16 weeks and striving for another 36. Perhaps its helpful to look at what transpired in the past 3 days - what was different. BC it would appear something changed.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The counting made me anxious and brought out my shame a lot.
Once i stopped counting it breezed by
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

There is a similar thread in Newcomers section

I am not sure counting is the issue here, just as in the attached thread. Drinking bc the counting is making someone anxious is not a great excuse and probably an illusion of something else - only that person can answer that.

As concluded in the other post - counting, not counting it does not matter if that is all that is going on. Often someone refusing to count is needing to be "different", unique, better. These are often manifestations of the core alcoholic/addict issues that are arising. If not noticed it can trip us up.

Another poster highlight that there is a natural migration (in AA) away from counting daily for 30, 60, 90, monthly 4, 5, 6, 3 months 9, 12, six months, annual, 5 yrs, 10 yrs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-relapse.html
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm not a counter even forgetting about it and having to add it up when someone asks.

In rehab they told us that those who are religious counters have a higher percentage of relapsing than those who don't count.

Don't know how true this is, but I'm glad you aren't going to count anymore.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boiledrootbeer View Post
Why do you try to make this person believe that since he is are not operating the same way you would that he is delusional? I see this sort of thing constantly on this site, and it's one of my big problems with groups like AA. People some how allow themselves to be convinced that they have no control over themselves, that their decisions are some how made by an unforeseen force and that the only way to gain the upper hand on this force to sit in meetings surrounded by like minded people. They don't defeat addiction, they just trade the old one (alcohol) for the new one (AA). And then you form into groups the same way you did while alcoholics and you shun those who are not a part of your group.
I am done with this page. I have been coming here for years and I am tired of people trying to tell others what they are doing wrong instead of trying to show them for what they are doing right. Good bye.
I am not addicted to any group. I attend a meeting approximately once a week, because I enjoy it. I am not dependent on any type of medication for my mind, sobriety, or emotions. I have been free from alcohol for 29 years. I am free to do anything and everything I choose because of the things I learned in AA and the principles I've chosen to live by, the 12 steps. It matters not to me what anyone else chooses to do with their time and life. Just please don't say things about me, or others like myself, that aren't true. And I won't say anything about you.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Serious? You are kidding right?
Do you really think he is kidding? That he just made this post as a joke? Cmon...
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

i would much rather have an addiction to having a multitude of friends and sitting for one hour listening to an uplifting story and learning how to be a better person than drinking addiction anyday.

I would gladly trade one addiction for another.

This one makes me happy (FINALLY)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I think that we all know how dangerous this could be. However, I think that what Doug was trying to portray was that he found himself actually obsessing about how many days it had been since his last drink. He knew by taking a sip he could say "There, now that's over". It took away the obsession about the number of days. There is no plan to drink further.

We're all different. Some could get away with what Doug did for the reasons that he did it. Some know that would be the beginning of the end and another attempt to drink again. Only he will know what category he falls in.

I don't think that there's any right way or wrong way to get and remain sober as long as you're not hurting anyone.
This says it all.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boiledrootbeer View Post
Why do you try to make this person believe that since he is are not operating the same way you would that he is delusional? I see this sort of thing constantly on this site, and it's one of my big problems with groups like AA. People some how allow themselves to be convinced that they have no control over themselves, that their decisions are some how made by an unforeseen force and that the only way to gain the upper hand on this force to sit in meetings surrounded by like minded people. They don't defeat addiction, they just trade the old one (alcohol) for the new one (AA). And then you form into groups the same way you did while alcoholics and you shun those who are not a part of your group.
I am done with this page. I have been coming here for years and I am tired of people trying to tell others what they are doing wrong instead of trying to show them for what they are doing right. Good bye.
And this is why I never liked AA.

I will also say that after drinking that sip of beer 2 days ago I haven't had a desire to drink or plan to drink anytime soon.

I want sobriety.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

If it worked for you Doug than good for you but I wouldn't recommend it for most of us. Whatever finalizes your determination to stay sober I guess? You are still sober now so keep going.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

With all due respect to you and boiled it's not an AA issue Doug.

I'm not in AA, I was sharing my experience - I did what you did - i drank to relive the pressure....& within a month I was back at square one.

I sincerely hope your outcome is different to mine, but I stand by my point: only an alcoholic would look to alcohol to solve a problem.

D
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I sincerely hope your outcome is different to mine, but I stand by my point: only an alcoholic would look to alcohol to solve a problem.

D
But I have learned that everyone has a different definition of an alcoholic.

My sister-in-law (who goes to AA everyday) believes that anyone that drinks is an alcoholic. In her eyes if someone drinks one beer once a month they are an alcoholic.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've followed your posts and I chose the word alcoholic pointedly Doug.
I'm sure you know exactly what I meant - but if you want to split hairs that's your prerogative.

best of luck to you, man
D
Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
And this is why I never liked AA.

I will also say that after drinking that sip of beer 2 days ago I haven't had a desire to drink or plan to drink anytime soon.

I want sobriety.
Doug, I am not sure if AA, AVRT are the right methods for you. I am in AA but I have been questioning aspects of the program and frankly stirred the pot last week with a couple threads that I think asked some tough questions. In hindsight I got andy and frustrated bc I was fearful there was some truth in my questions and what the outcome would be.

I think honesty is key - these are questions only you can answer for yourself with maybe the help of others providing varying perspectives. You changed your perspective between 11/17 and 11/21 based on your posts. I am not looking for an answer but think about what changed.

As another person responded if this is truly working for you all the best - I doubt many want to see you fail - perhaps some are envious if you can go back to moderation only bc of the hardships some have had to endure to realize they can't. If you can or if taking sips allows you to keep sober - bit of oxymoron then all the best.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
If you can or if taking sips allows you to keep sober - bit of oxymoron then all the best.

Not really an oxymoron.

I believe that someone drinking one glass of wine with a meal once a week or someone having a beer with a friend after work on a Friday is a sober person.

I spent 25 years of my life being either buzzed, drunk, passed out, hungover or sick. That is being an alcoholic.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I believe that someone drinking one glass of wine with a meal once a week or someone having a beer with a friend after work on a Friday is a sober person.
But I think that the repeated failure to be able to be that person is what brought most of us to this forum. If you can do it, great. I wish I could be that person, I just can't.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

To each their own. :-) What works for some doesn't always work for others. Do what works for you Doug. Just be careful :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I believe that someone drinking one glass of wine with a meal once a week or someone having a beer with a friend after work on a Friday is a sober.
Is that your goal or just an observation? I can only speak for myself, but that description sounds an awful lot like moderation to me.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Not really an oxymoron.

I spent 25 years of my life being either buzzed, drunk, passed out, hungover or sick. That is being an alcoholic.
I don't want to pick this apart but you are either an alcoholic or your not. I think you mitt be struggling with whether you are. You have to answer this for yourself and it sounds like you will. This begs the question why did you post? Are you looking for reaffirmation bc I don't think you will find much here since no of us can do what you are trying to do.

Maybe share with some normal drinker.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Is that your goal or just an observation? I can only speak for myself, but that description sounds an awful lot like moderation to me.
I think this is an important question as well.