Notices

I drank Tonight

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Try and stay calm. It sounds like you are getting yourself very anxious. My heart goes out to you as Im in the same boat as you just now.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
EndGame

To BSF: I relapsed for about three years following twenty five years without drinking. I lost everything. Again.

My new sober date is August 20, 2011. I don't know that I've every been more happy with my life.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
Try and stay calm. It sounds like you are getting yourself very anxious. My heart goes out to you as Im in the same boat as you just now.
That's what I'm doing now. Trying to stay calm and relax. Just hung over and sore. Legs are sore, chest is sore. I did ecstacy too, so it's not like I just drank. You don't usually feel too hot the next day after just doing ecstasy, let alone getting hammered too.

I should be alright, just upset and scared I guess. I hope the best for you. This is not an easy road.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
That's what I'm doing now. Trying to stay calm and relax. Just hung over and sore. Legs are sore, chest is sore. I did ecstacy too, so it's not like I just drank. You don't usually feel too hot the next day after just doing ecstasy, let allow getting hammered too.

I should be alright, just upset and scared I guess. I hope the best for you. This is not an easy road.
The fear, the soreness and all the other feelings are temporary.

As always, if you're concerned, then see your doctor.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I relapsed for about three years following twenty five years without drinking. I lost everything. Again.

My new sober date is August 20, 2011. I don't know that I've every been more happy with my life.
That's great to hear. I was already starting to feel great and then I convinced myself I could drink. I got sober enough I forgot about the horrible part of drinking and remembered the fun.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The fear, the soreness and all the other feelings are temporary.

As always, if you're concerned, then see your doctor.
Not too concerned at this point. More upset at myself.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I always get really hot when hungover. Your body will just be a bit shocked after being sober for a while then putting poison in it again. Im scared too but be thankful of your awareness of the problem. Hopefully we will both do much better from here on in.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
I always get really hot when hungover. Your body will just be a bit shocked after being sober for a while then putting poison in it again. Im scared too but be thankful of your awareness of the problem. Hopefully we will both do much better from here on in.
We can only hope. Hopefully both of our last days drinking is November 15/16.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Boston, you remind me of myself - getting all worked up and making myself crazy.

You slipped up - one night - so what. It isn't like you are back to your old ways.

You still want sobriety - thats all that really matters. Forget all the days sober and self made rules and move forward.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Boston, you remind me of myself - getting all worked up and making myself crazy.

You slipped up - one night - so what. It isn't like you are back to your old ways.

You still want sobriety - thats all that really matters. Forget all the days sober and self made rules and move forward.
I know, it's just hard for me, but I can't go back to last night and not drink so I'm gonna move on.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support and kind words. I needed it tonight.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi BSF.

I had a good number of slips on my way to finding sobriety. Each one was a stepping stone to eventual success.

I went through the courts and mental health experts, D&A counsellors, all sorts of people tried to help, and I was cooperative and open to many of their suggestions.
As each attempt failed, the list of options got shorter. Each disaster brought me a step closer to a solution.

The only thing I needed to do was when one method failed, try something different. It would be crazy for me to keep trying things that did not work wouldn't it? Fortunately, none of my slips were fatal (though it was close at times) but each one took me a step closer to finding permanent recovery.

Keep an open mind my friend. Perhaps it's time to try something else.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Definitely not to make light of it, but it's not the end of the world. Relapses are to be taken seriously, but you realize your mistake and that's the important part. I think you said you're 21, so there's definitely gonna be temptations. It took me many attempts at quitting and failing to realize what a problem I had, and you can learn from it if you remember how you feel now.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Definitely not to make light of it, but it's not the end of the world. Relapses are to be taken seriously, but you realize your mistake and that's the important part. I think you said you're 21, so there's definitely gonna be temptations. It took me many attempts at quitting and failing to realize what a problem I had, and you can learn from it if you remember how you feel now.
Thank you I am realizing it's not the end of the world. I don't feel the 67 days was for nothing because even though I drank I still feel those 67 days were a huge deal for me.

It really doesn't feel like I drank as long as I think positive and don't think about it. To me I'm still sober and one slip doesn't change that. I'm gonna learn from it and move on.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That's not exactly my experience Maxx.
I think you're mixing two things up there.

Basically my withdrawals got worse the more years I drank.

But by the end, going back to drinking after a break, it was like I never had the break, or like my alcoholism had been growing all the time I'd been sober.

D
Is this a lot to do with the aging process though. For example I know lots of people who say they just can't drink any more like they used to. When they were in their 20s & 30s they could drink loads. Some peeps. Say 2 wines& they're drunk! Also as we get older the effects of a binge ravage our bodies more? I also have found the mental desire for the stuff weakens the longer I go without it. As we get older we change, I hope!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

A slip or whatever you choose to call it is not the end of the world, as long as you survive it.

But that is the reality. We never know if we will or won't, it's like playing Russian roulette.

I don't like seeing all these people who are like, no big deal, just forget about it.

In my opinion you need to seriously look at what lead up to taking that drink. Oftentimes, it is thinking that started way before the actual time you took a drink.

And you can, if you are really truly honest with yourself, learn from your mistake.

Stay strong, and learn to separate your AV from you. Best wishes.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
A slip or whatever you choose to call it is not the end of the world, as long as you survive it.

But that is the reality. We never know if we will or won't, it's like playing Russian roulette.

I don't like seeing all these people who are like, no big deal, just forget about it.

In my opinion you need to seriously look at what lead up to taking that drink. Oftentimes, it is thinking that started way before the actual time you took a drink.

And you can, if you are really truly honest with yourself, learn from your mistake.

Stay strong, and learn to separate your AV from you. Best wishes.
You are correct. It's not something I can just brush off or it will happen again. I think I'm going to learn from it.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I got sober when I was 17. I had to give up all my " drinking" friends. I couldn't stay sobor hanging out with them. I found out they were not my friends, but drinking buddies. Changing people, places, and things went a long way in getting me sober.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Well I messed up big time. Went out with my friends and ended up drinking and doing ecstacy. Feel like such a loser I can't begin to describe it. Been doing so good sober and I just blow it.

Being sober and 21 is so hard. So many times I'm pressured it's to the point I almost have to distance myself from my true friends to stay sober.

I just don't believe myself.
My heart went out to you when I read your post. It must be torture to be only 21 and to admit that you're an alcoholic. I admire you so much for working to commit to a sober life at such a tender age. You are truly saving yourself years and years of misery. I know it feels awful to slip, but just climb right back on that horse. You can do this!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You are correct. It's not something I can just brush off or it will happen again. I think I'm going to learn from it.
There is a distinct difference between beating yourself up about it and feeling low (which IS destructive to addictive thinking) and examining and learning (which can prevent another relapse).

I went back out many, many times. But I did learn every time.
You can do it.