Notices

Were you a picky drinker?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Were you a picky drinker?

I only ever abused good quality bottles of certain types of white wine. If it was a good bottle of red, I'd drink maybe two glasses. Anything I didn't like, I wouldn't even finish the glass. Beer and hard liquor I could drink in moderation. But the fact was I really just wanted to drink white wine and I abused it badly and regularly.

Anyway, I bring it up because IMO that type of drinking made it harder for me to come to terms with the fact that I needed to stop entirely. I'm happy to say that I never tried the "I'll drink something I don't like as much approach," but I would be interested to know if anyone else has any experience to share. Strikes me as a sneaky way for our AVs to get the upper hand.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was an equal opportunity alcoholic.
I would drink anything and drink it dry.

D
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

only picky if i was full of money and buying....in the end a case of natty light was the order
Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Groundhog, I wouldn't drink certain kinds of liquor if you paid me. Whisky and brandy have always made me gag. But if you gave me a good wine or beer...I could outdrink someone twice my size. Yes, I agree that it makes it hard to recognize yourself as an alcoholic when you drink this way. In the end, I realized it's the same problem. Whether you only get smashed on a fancy bottle of red, or you'll drink rubbing alcohol, you're still smashed just the same.

June
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was typically a dry white wine for me. Sometimes I'd have a Pinot noir to change it up. But I bought cheaper wine. So in a sense I was picky and in a sense not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was picky -- until about the third drink, then I'd drink anything and everything.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At the start of the night Id be picky, game would be on after a few and if it were really big anything was fair game. This extended into my taste in the opposite sex through the night as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

At first I would drink a lot of different drinks in a lot of different settings. Toward the end it had to be whiskey coke and only by myself in my chair.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also a lover of white wine and stuck almost exclusively to that. Mind you, a cold beer (or six) on a hot day was never a "chore" and, like Jennie, I would occasionally switch to red but it often made me highly emotional and unpredictable (nothing like the boss having a crying jag out of nowhere at someone's promotion ceremony!!) so I stayed with white. Used to trick myself that I was a "connoisseur" by buying the more expensive bottles until I realized that I was drinking for the drunk, not the taste or the bouquet or whatever. So basically a $8 bottle was just fine then.

Dabbled in vodka in mixed drinks but hated everything else. Still was a drunk though, through and through.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I preferred quality beer or jagermeister, but really it didn't matter. Not a wine guy at all but if that was all that was available I'd definitely drink it. Once I was drunk It especially didn't matter anything to keep it going.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ok,
First off, I drank a case of beer and some box red wine and some scotch water rocks and limes everyday. So knowing the cost we drank Highland Mist scotch, Milwaukee's Best Light beer, and Chillable red wine in the box. we considered these to be a slight cut above rotgut. So yes, picky in price. We may have almost drank ourselves to death, but at least we did not drink ourselves into the poorhouse. (stinkin thinkin? You bet! That's how we rolled.)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I disliked hangovers and associated cheap liquor with feeling horrible. So yes, I was picky most of the time, but in the absence of my preferences I would still drink anything.

If I was out, I tended to call for top-shelf liquors in my drinks - Bombay Sapphire gin, Belvedere vodka, a variety of 15-year single malt scotches, Patron tequila, etc. When it came to wine, I usually bought mid-grade dry reds. I had a tough time understanding how other people could just order a "vodka tonic" without knowing what brand of gasoline they were going to get.

A lot of money down the tubes... But to make up for it, I did become adept at forging relationships with bartenders where I would get a tab for $20 at the end of the night and wind up tipping $80. All for $150-$200 worth of drinks for me and my companions.

I'm so glad that the most important decision of the night is no longer what bottle of booze I'm going to pick up... Interesting topic.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No - Cheap plastic squeeze bottles of Vodka and Whiskey, cheap strong malt liquor. At some point the illusions fades, and the realization of drinking for a purpose (not to enjoy a fine single malt, or Irish..or Rye Whiskey, or some beer from a great microbrew) sets in.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
I was also a lover of white wine and stuck almost exclusively to that. Mind you, a cold beer (or six) on a hot day was never a "chore" and, like Jennie, I would occasionally switch to red but it often made me highly emotional and unpredictable

Dabbled in vodka in mixed drinks but hated everything else. Still was a drunk though, through and through.
Same with me! About the vodka. And the red wine reactions We probably have similar brain chemistry issues.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I also liked tequila and rum. But didn't drink it often. I was definitely more of a wine drinker.

One thing I couldn't stand was whiskey. Ugh. Had gotten sick on it as a teenager.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Ok,
First off, I drank a case of beer and some box red wine and some scotch water rocks and limes everyday. So knowing the cost we drank Highland Mist scotch, Milwaukee's Best Light beer, and Chillable red wine in the box. we considered these to be a slight cut above rotgut. So yes, picky in price. We may have almost drank ourselves to death, but at least we did not drink ourselves into the poorhouse. (stinkin thinkin? You bet! That's how we rolled.)
Haha. I drank Jamison, but it got too expensive to buy a pint every night. I found I could tolerate Windsor really well. I had a box of wine in the fridge once and I ended up using it for a mixer when I ran out of coke.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At the start of my 2-year bender I was only drinking high-end vodka and filling my wine rack with bottles of Bordeaux. Near the end of that bender, I was on my knees dusting off price tags of bottom-shelf liquor at the bodega in Humboldt Park while I loaded the spare change from my couch into Coinstar machines in order to pay for them.

Turns out I wasn't picky at all.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In the beginning I drank anything and everything. Towards the end I drank vodka like it was water and that is what I always preferred.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was a big time bar drinker only, drinking only top shelf bourbon and shots. Now I realize I was just a drunk ******* with more financial resources than most and I made myself feel better by being "the man" at the bar. I was a great tipper and bought lots of rounds because I wanted people to like me.

It is amazing what being sober will do for you.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Destroying body organs with alcohol comes in all sizes.

I had my high days of the mighty dollar when it was high class import liquor/beer/wine or else. Yea, I was all that and a bag of chips. Then there was those gutter days when a cheap pint of warm potato-ish based ethanol compound of swill was sufficient to do the job.

OMG no-more maddness