Notices

Were you a picky drinker?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I found I could tolerate Windsor really well.
HAHA Windsor was my whiskey of choice. I would buy a 1/2 gallon for $20 and I was golden for two days.

I tried wine and beer/w shots of Windsor for a while but I went back to my whiskey and diet coke. That was what I wanted.

I would drink other liquor though if I got it. I remember when my grandfather died and we found a half bottle of J & B. God that stuff was awful but waste not want not. I drank it.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was an extremely picky drinker. Literally everything I drank had to contain some kind of alcohol or it just wasn't up to standard.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

I started as a, 'I'll drink anything', type. But when (without me realising it) I became addicted, I began to seek out a certain taste and/or hit that lit my lights. Unfortunately, this has led to something that was bound to happen... Whiskey... and I haven't touched anything else for years. Nothing else floats my boat. Of course, other drinks would smash me to pieces just the same... but I can't, for some reason, swallow them easily; they even sicken me.

Picky? Yes, very!

I haven't been around here for a while, due to 'kamikaze' activities, but it's nice to just pop in today... and remind myself that I'm not alone in what seems, an impossible struggle

280cl, at a time, is beginning to fall short of the ridiculous target that I set out to hit, btw. Sigh...

Despite what I've said, it's not impossible to beat this addiction, so... keep up the great work. All of you
Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Back before I drank alcoholically, I'd drink 12 year old scotch - maybe one or two - when out to dinner. Toward the end I was chugging the cheapest vodka out of the bottle. I'd always hated vodka.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@John44:

Out to dinner was a strange time... in the sense that, I always thought I was being good to myself, eating good food. Heh, but I didn't realise that i was washing it all down with Guinness and Benedictine, all evening. Now, I definitely know that this was the prelude to years of being addicted to alcohol which would lead to a drink that deserves much more respect than I give it... not to mention myself.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Mainly beer: I would switch between good craft beer because it was stronger and I was sticking to 1 or 2 (never worked), and then cheaper beer because it was weaker and I could drink more. I almost never drank liquor and only wine during "sophisticated" phases.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At the beginning of a bender I would be quite picky and chose my favourite beers. At the end of a bender I didn't care what kind of beer it was, cold or lukewarm, I would drink it in order to let my body function a bit.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I went through phases. I started out not picky, as a young drinker I couldn't afford/didn't know how to be picky, cheap beer and Boone's Berry Farm baby. That started taking too long so I moved on to moderately cheap whiskey. Then I "matured" and discovered microbrews and wine. This was my snobby phase. Only top shelf liquor for me, I was so sophisticated with my dry martinis and bottle of Bordeaux. That became way too expensive to keep up and I was moving down the food chain of wine.

It was when I was drinking wine from a box and finishing off the cooking vermouth that I realized I'm not a foodie who enjoys wine with dinner, I'm an alcoholic who eats dinner just to drink.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is what made me realize I had a problem. I started out drinking top shelf, then towards the end was drinking rock gut Ezra brooks. I could no longer tell the difference between a $50 bottle of bourbon or $15 bottle. I just wanted to get drunk.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I preferred crown and coors light ,Later on went to jack ,then to jim beam ,and finally to some stuff in a plastic bottle ,forgot what it was ?canadian club ?,mabe ?

Late in my carrer i settled in to jum beam and natural light ,or keystone ice .

Drank a bunch of sevdekia vodkia ,never understood expensive vodkia ,it all tasted bad to me ,cheap of not . But never went to the plastic bottle vodkia .
Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was a working alcoholic with enough money to
always buy as much of and whatever I preferred whenever wanted
which was very often

in the end - morning, noon and night

MB
Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I was a working alcoholic with enough money to
always buy as much of and whatever I preferred whenever wanted
which was very often

in the end - morning, noon and night

MB
This is/was me... I would always buy the most expensive stuff just because I "could", but I was far from picky if there wasn't a selection to choose from. I drank more hot beers than cold beers during the last few years of my drinking because I had to hide them from my wife (in my truck, the garage, the boat, the yard, etc.). Didn't matter to me...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't relate to being a picky drinker. My AV is called alcoholism.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wasn't very picky. Anything would go, at least after a couple of drinks.
Tended to avoid wine because that was one drink I disliked, and whiskey because I thought it gave worse hangovers. Mostly it was beer, cheap or expensive, didn't matter. Then all other kinds of stronger drinks.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Question Re:Were you a picky drinker?

Heck's yeah, but only in the beginning. I would drink top shelf vodka with a lime twist each and every time. Then, I became a semi-broke alcoholic, which put an end to my illustrious career. After that, I had to downsize just to save money. In the end, I would drink about anything. Funny how that works out.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was a beer (sometimes cheap malt liquor) & tequila user. I liked other spirits also, whisky, vodka.

I really disliked the "sweeter" flavored drinks, didn't like rum, gin, flavored beer/malt liquor. Wine was a hit and miss.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was always under the impression that high quality booze would give me less of a hangover. Of course, that was a moot point when I began drinking too much. One of many reasons that I knew it was time to quit was that I didn't like the taste of even my favorite wines anymore.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
quat

always bass ale(cept when store closed and the fridge only had others) with copious amounts of either Maker's or mr Beam(i think jim came from seeing Raylan like it) but lately i would take pulls out of anything open , even if I had enough beer and whiskey , I guess just to make sure the buzz lasted til I passed out and coupled that with competing with myself to see if I could make it out to the shed to smoke pot and congratulating myself on how many times I could manage to navigate back to house, yeah i was the "man"
Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
I was an extremely picky drinker. Literally everything I drank had to contain some kind of alcohol or it just wasn't up to standard.
Ha...that's what I was going to say.

My last few years of drinking I drank 6% Bush Ice beer. Plenty of alcohol and a 12pk was 5.99 (50 cent a beer).
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I enjoyed really good expensive beers and even thought myself a connoisseur at times. That still never stopped me from drinking the strongest nastiest crap I could find if I only had a few bucks and wanted to get lit.

Oh the days of the 211 Steel reserve, I even got a slightly upscale store to start buying that garbage. I thought myself cool for it when the owner told me he had to up his order because everybody started buying it. Instead of smiling and saying it was good I should have pointed out that the majority of these people with their false fronts walking in here are all just closet alcoholics waiting to be discovered. They all were probably happy they could go there for the upscale stuff looking normal and then sneak a case of that filth in their cart.

That was grossly powerful, I would have a friend come over and his wife would see the 211 in the closet and ask to have some. She would drink two and be plastered, I'd be on my sixth looking normal and she'd be getting helped to the car.