Notices

Wine is such a load of crap

Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wine is such a load of crap

I never was a wine drinker...I could take it or leave it; same pretty much for hard liquor as I never enjoyed it except when we were out dancing or whatnot and wanted a buzz without the bloat. For me, beer was my poison...or was it my passion? Same thing I guess.

Wine is such a load of crap. It has been romanticized into something it is not. People associate wine with some level of sophistication. But, it's just fermented grapes. Sure there are historical and religious connections to wine, but its still a load of crap.

Take tonight for example. We went to eat at a family style place. My SIL (who drinks wine every night, but probably isn't a problem drinker yet) brings a bottle of wine. Of course, her being her, has to point out that its a fifty dollar bottle. She's such a small town philistine that she probably couldn't tell the difference between that bottle and Boones if you put them both in nice glasses. But, wine allows her to put on airs and gives her a fabricated sense of refinement. Anyway, I digress. Why is it acceptable to whip out a bottle of wine at a restaurant? I can most certainly guarantee that if someone had pulled out a bottle of Jack or Cuero, there'd have been some stares or comments, but nobody gives a second thought when its wine.

From smelling its different aromas to admiring the 'legs', it's a bunch of pseudoelitist malarkey and just another vehicle to inebriation. I don't care whether you smell hints of cardamom or rat nuts, it's still booze. But, somehow it's accepted and even celebrated.

I drank my iced tea like a well intentioned redneck while my wife enjoyed a beer. I laughed to myself after she drank three glasses and I thought 'that was a waste of fifty bucks'.

Perhaps my angst is misdirected towards the wine, but rather should be aimed at the pretentious hacks that drink it.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lol I sense some resentment

You doing ok?

Hey wine isn't for everyone but I sure loved it! We all have our doc.

Congrats on another sober evening, you'll feel proud of yourself tomorrow morning for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nah...no resentment. I'm sure you know the type. Always talking ****. Always has a story to one up you. Out of control OCD. Same song second verse for the last twelve years, ha ha. I love her though - she's family.

I'm doing great, though. I'm finally heading home. Another day in this bumfart town and I think I'd lose it.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

If that's gets you going you will love this Penn & Teller ******** On Water - YouTube
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I have some family members like that, and a former boss hang tight... It's good to vent

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great laugh! Really amusing send-up of the pretentious wine snob thing...

And how about the whole CIGAR thing? Who the heck ever decided that deliberately inhaling concentrated noxious carbonaceous products of combustion was SOPHISTICATED?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I never was a wine drinker...I could take it or leave it; same pretty much for hard liquor as I never enjoyed it except when we were out dancing or whatnot and wanted a buzz without the bloat. For me, beer was my poison...or was it my passion? Same thing I guess.

Wine is such a load of crap. It has been romanticized into something it is not. People associate wine with some level of sophistication. But, it's just fermented grapes. Sure there are historical and religious connections to wine, but its still a load of crap.

Take tonight for example. We went to eat at a family style place. My SIL (who drinks wine every night, but probably isn't a problem drinker yet) brings a bottle of wine. Of course, her being her, has to point out that its a fifty dollar bottle. She's such a small town philistine that she probably couldn't tell the difference between that bottle and Boones if you put them both in nice glasses. But, wine allows her to put on airs and gives her a fabricated sense of refinement. Anyway, I digress. Why is it acceptable to whip out a bottle of wine at a restaurant? I can most certainly guarantee that if someone had pulled out a bottle of Jack or Cuero, there'd have been some stares or comments, but nobody gives a second thought when its wine.

From smelling its different aromas to admiring the 'legs', it's a bunch of pseudoelitist malarkey and just another vehicle to inebriation. I don't care whether you smell hints of cardamom or rat nuts, it's still booze. But, somehow it's accepted and even celebrated.

I drank my iced tea like a well intentioned redneck while my wife enjoyed a beer. I laughed to myself after she drank three glasses and I thought 'that was a waste of fifty bucks'.

Perhaps my angst is misdirected towards the wine, but rather should be aimed at the pretentious hacks that drink it.
It IS a load of crap. You should read Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Drinking", a wine snob will never look at wine quite the same again.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What do you dislike more? Wine or your sister in law?
I enjoyed wine at one time...but some people enjoy expensive craft beers too....i don't consider that snobbish.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and I used to like a good bottle of wine way back when. VERY sophisticated at a nice restaurant with a good meal. I wonder if I looked sophisticated later in my alcoholism, shaking from withdrawals, unwashed, sucking vodka from a half-gallon bottle?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are two sides to every coin.
From my side, I drank to get drunk. That's what booze if for right? The more bite the better it is. Mash up some grapes and git that stuff fermentin. I'll guzzle it down soon az you git er bottled up.

On the other side,there are people that don't drink it just for the buzz. Not alcoholics like me. They actually do try to experience the taste or bouquet (whatever the hell that is). Is there a way to check bubble pressure?
It would be a very boring world if everybody thought the same and had the same opinion. To each their own.

I'm gonna go drink a pot of the gourmet coffee I just brewed up. I think it has enough caffeine to make my hair stand on end. I'm gonna try to see if it has any 'bouquet" or not.
Good stuff mainard

Fred
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for that thoroughly enjoyable read! I know you were registering a valid and logical complaint but it was a wonderfully worded rant. I am totally going to find a way to use "small town philistine" and "pseudoelitist malarkey" in a sentence today. Even if only to my dogs...

Wine was my DOC too. I loved the stuff. But I hated the snobbery that went along with it. I paid more money for good wine because it gave me less of a hangover than the cheap stuff. I used wine to get drunk and it did the job in the quickest and most effective way. Whether the bottle cost $50 or $5, I would still chug it back like a champ---forget taking the time to savor the bouquet or whatever. In the end, it was exactly that: a means to an end.

Anyway, I loved this post. Reminiscent of Buckley or Christopher Hitchens. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What do you dislike more? Wine or your sister in law?
Haha. I wouldn't say I dislike her...we have a mutual understanding that we are family, but that for my marriage we would not be friends. Ah...that's not fair. We get along pretty well...we just know which buttons of each other not to push...or rather i know which buttons of hers not to push as I'm pretty easy going and avoid confrontations out of love and respect for my wife and mother-in-law.

For example, the other night, I was sitting in a chair at her house. She came in and started getting anxious that I was sitting in 'her' chair...remember my reference above to her OCD? I thought she was kidding because I am a very hospitable person, so I stayed in the chair...she started to make a bit of a scene so I got out of the chair. I was dumbfounded and really felt like a fool that I was made to get out of a chair. If it had been my brother pulling that crap on me or my wife I'd have seriously reprimanded him, but we all know not to question her because she loses it and verbally attacks people. It's weird.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha yes, wine is often seen as the pinnacle of sophistication amongst the alcoholic beverages but its lofty status doesn't conceal the problems it can cause some drinkers. Alcohol is alcohol after all. I remember a friend of my dad prided himself on being a wine connasieur and was particularly pretentious when selecting wine but really he was a pretty severe alcoholic who just had the wealth to buy wine and disguise his addiction as a passion for fine fermented grape juice. H died of liver failure two years ago and his wife said he was up to 3.5 bottles of wine a day the other half of the fourth bottle was always poured out by his wife after he had passed out - what sophistication and elegance ! It's also interesting that there was a survey done of uk women and they were asked that if they had a choice of a ice cold ginger beer (or other soft drink) or a glass of alcohol free wine which tasted the same as normal wine, 79% said they would go the ice cold soft drink....

Remember alcohol is simply attractively packaged poison. People may think they're buying wine based on the fact that its been made with three different types of grape but they really don't give a ****. It's the addictive drug inside that lures them. Fine wine etc. just places the poison under a guise of elegance and sophistication... All down to social perception and ******** IMO
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dismember

I used to be a bit of a drink snob, but not with wine as much. When I had a job that involved a lot of selling wine there'd be some folks who'd come in, ask for a recommendation, I'd give a few, and some (you could just tell) would go with the most expensive one even if I gave it the least praise. I guess someone's leaving the price tag on the bottle when they bring it to their party!

My favorite coffee shop down my street usually features a few different types of coffee or espresso on any day. They've got a small board that describes the flavors of each one like with wine. Kind of snobbish, but the employees are all down-to-earth & unpretentious. Least I know if I ever choose to become a pretentious #### again there's places I can go.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And how about the whole CIGAR thing? Who the heck ever decided that deliberately inhaling concentrated noxious carbonaceous products of combustion was SOPHISTICATED?
Cigar smoke is not inhaled (when properly smoked). Just saying.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to love (and still do love) asking people who are deep in 'wine' conversation if it would taste good with my favourite mixer, 7up lite?!!!

Just to see the looks on their faces.
And if anyone ever came to dinner with their posh bottle of rotting grapes, I would ask them if they liked it topped up with 7up?
Especially red wine.

In my house, beer is called dirty juice and cider is called fizzy dog wee.

It made for an interesting conversation with father christmas when I took my 3 year old daughter to see him and he asked for some beer and mince pies leaving out!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I guess someone's leaving the price tag on the bottle when they bring it to their party!
You ever heard of Veblen Goods? It's the phenomenon that contradicts most economic theory in that as price goes up, demand goes up. Some of these Veblen goods are probably related to the thinking that 'more expensive means better quality'; however, I'd say with wine, it's more of a pure increase in demand solely due to price. I'd like to conduct an experiment with that and put expensive tags on cheap wine and see how many people bought it and remarked on its flavor.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
You ever heard of Veblen Goods? It's the phenomenon that contradicts most economic theory in that as price goes up, demand goes up. Some of these Veblen goods are probably related to the thinking that 'more expensive means better quality'; however, I'd say with wine, it's more of a pure increase in demand solely due to price. I'd like to conduct an experiment with that and put expensive tags on cheap wine and see how many people bought it and remarked on its flavor.
I saw a show one time that did just that. A panel of "experts" were asked to comment on various wines, knowing only the price (which was incorrect labeled). It was pretty funny watching them heap praise on $5 a bottle grape juice.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Crossfitdad, this one's for you:

Miles from 'Sideways' - YouTube
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mesosober...I think I'm gonna watch sideways again tonight!