Notices

Wine is such a load of crap

Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So you really hate wine. I feel the same way about whiskey marketing. Oh! We are the bearded irish brothers from Boston who like to take a drop of the pure when we are away from our 'girlfriends'! Oh! We're out at the cabin now hand crafting memories, why, just like our whiskey is hand crafted...Oh! Here we are with our special gin...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dismember

I haven't heard that name before, but I'm somewhat familiar with the phenomenon. Thanks! Learned something new today. I've seen the experiment or some variation thereof that John's talking about. It's pretty funny.

I have a pretty decent palate but I probably would've failed that test. I don't detect any subtleties in my coffee either... except when I'm at an AA meeting. I'm pretty sure the "coffee" is just the burnt crumbs lifted from old toasters.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Mesosober...I think I'm gonna watch sideways again tonight!
One of my all-time favorites. Yes, I'm sure it especially resonated with me because of the booze, but it's also incredibly funny and meaningful, not to mention well-acted and -written.

Miles Raymond: [while tasting wine] It tastes like the back of a f***ng L.A. school bus. Now they probably didn't de-stem, hoping for some semblance of concentration, crushed it up with leaves and mice, and then wound up with this rancid tar and turpentine mouthwash bull[shoot]. F***in' Raid.

Jack: Tastes pretty good to me.

Some wine to me tastes better to me than others (duh), but I drank it to get hammered. Taste-wise, I much prefer just regla ol' grape juice. I remember the first time I had red wine at a friend's house for dinner with her family. It was almost undrinkable to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting data here:

Wine-tasting: it's junk science | Life and style | The Observer

A winemaker created a tasting challenge for experts to measure their consistency:

"The results are disturbing," says Hodgson from the Fieldbrook Winery in Humboldt County.... "Only about 10% of judges are consistent and those judges who were consistent one year were ordinary the next year.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

oh good grief, she has rules where people can sit in her house? she sounds like a completely self-centered 12 year old. "her" chair?

next time go to their bedroom and lay down on her bed, she might get worked up into a real froth...(j/k).

I hope that your wife appreciates your patience with her sister.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used to be really big into wine. I had the books, I knew the regions, the varietals, etc. I was going to sign up for sommelier classes, but when I realized they spit the wine out, I was like, what's the point? It was really just a way to try to disguise my alcoholic drinking into something socially acceptable so I wouldn't have to quit. Didn't work. Now I look at wine and think of mashed-up rotting grapes.

Now I'm turning into a tea conoisseur!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post

Remember alcohol is simply attractively packaged poison. People may think they're buying wine based on the fact that its been made with three different types of grape but they really don't give a ****. It's the addictive drug inside that lures them. Fine wine etc. just places the poison under a guise of elegance and sophistication... All down to social perception and ******** IMO
So true IMHO. I recall a so called sophisticated lady speaking at an AA meeting that she got all dressed up to get messed up and putting her head where a head wasn't designed to go when it came back up in a non sophisticated way. BE WELL
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Fandy: it's funny you mentioned that. She has warped her son's brain so bad that he nearly had a panic attack when my daughter and I sat on his bed to watch him play a computer game. He started screaming 'mom!!!!! They're on my bed!!' She comes in running saying that he freaks out when someone is on his bed. The nut doesn't fall far from tree! I have no idea how my wife ended up so relatively normal.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jason vale book explains all this, also search out Craig beck videos on you tube, kind of sums up wine/Poison.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Love this post. I work in restaurant that serves A LOT of wine. There are over 300 wines on the menu. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a woman I work with. I asked her if there would be so many different grapes, varieties, brands etc if they took the alcohol content out of all of them. She just laughed and said "definitely not!".
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My sisters Father in law. Oh my gosh-yes! Yes, I understand, you have money.

Now that my sister has been married to his son for a few years I get it though. Luckily he is just a food snob-but he did something about it. My sister doesn't really cook so he learned how!

Sometimes venting is great, isn't it?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yea, just like fancy cars, big houses, and country clubs, expensive wine is just another way for some people to feel like they're better than the common folk. In my drinking days, give me an ice cold miller lite or whiskey/liquor. I rarely drank wine, made me sleepy.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great post!! You made me laugh!! Funny stuff!! Nothing beats a big ole glass of redneck iced tea!! Love the stuff!! Have a great week!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

It's all bs. My friends cannot socialize together unless they pour wine down their necks. It's a total illusion perpetuated by Government & the drinks industries making millions (her fifty bucks included). They love her & us who get well & truly sucked in to the whole fictitious delusional bs scene. When I socialize now (without the aid of alcohol) I see it for what it really is: yes, sometimes fun, sometimes lovely warm family get-together, but down the pub it's just a p... Up. I've spent this whole weekend deciding actually, no, I don't fancy "a day at Hendon" just an excuse for a whole days p.... Up. Nor do I fancy pub. Cheers, here to iced tea! X
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Yeah I have some family members like that, and a former boss hang tight... It's good to vent

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
He's just seeing it how it really is!!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

people do the same thing these days with beer and most hard liquor. I have even seen shows on tv of people reviewing and rating moonshine. There are microbreweries with designer beer. As you must know some scotches or cognac can cost in the thousands per bottle. jack Daniels puts out a high end bourbon now. The only thing I haven't seen the liquor snobs get a hold of is everclear grain alcohol or maybe malt liquor. it's true that more expensive wines, liquors, or beers do generally taste better. but when I was drinking it wasn't worth the astronomical prices for something you were going to pee out in a few hours.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

it don't bother me

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post

Perhaps my angst is misdirected towards the wine, but rather should be aimed at the pretentious hacks that drink it.
that was quite a rant there regarding wine

I don't drink wine I'm an alcoholic in recovery
but
the wife usually (not always) drinks a glass of wine a day
a ten dollar bottle does her fine most the time
in 8 years I have never seen her drunk
we all know that a glass of wine a day is good for you
are many expensive wine drinkers stuck up -

could be
but
it don't bother me

is drinking a fifty or a two hundred and fifty dollar bottle of wine
a waste of money
in my book yes
but
I was also when I drank a common old beer drinker
when I wasn't mixing it with other things

Mountainman
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

CFD, you are hilarious! Thank you for that rant, that made my morning!

I must admit, I am a dedicated wino. I come from Northern California, after all, I feel like I almost HAVE to be. Ha! well, not anymore.

I also must admit, I felt REAL sophisticated waking up after drinking a bottle of wine with lovely grape-colored teeth and black lips. So pretty!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

it doesn't bother me either

I don't see any difference between some folks being wine afficianados or being "into" anything else...

Some people spend lots of enjoyable hours evaluating every play of a football game or golf tournament...or spend lotsa dollars on a good steak instead of the cheapest cut...or want front row tickets to the theater instead of the cheap seats.

To some people football is a bunch of guys with a history of concussions chasing a ball around the field and jumping on each other and golf is adults with nothing better to do than hit things with a stick. To each his own.

The fact that I abused alcohol doesn't mean someone else is a fool or a snob for enjoying theirs.

Ya know what they say...when you point a finger there's three pointing back at you.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think that's the point, people can be snobs with their alcohol, just like with anything else. Not saying its right or wrong, just a fact of life.