Notices

I'm 20 and I'm an Alcholic

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 20 and I'm an Alcholic

Hey everyone my names James and I have a drinking problem. I'm only 20 years old and I'm truly addicted to alcohol and I'm not sure where to turn. No one in the world knows how bad my problem is and I'm too proud to tell my parent's or friends about my problem. I've been drinking heavy for about 10 months to a year and my body needs alcohol to get by. I have the worst alcohol withdrawal. I can only go so long during the day before I have a massive panic attack and have to drink to make it go away. I have no job and basically no money. I use the little amounts of money my parent's will give me to buy alcohol. At one point there was 30-40 empty 15 dollar half gallons of vodka on my bedroom floor. When I drink I'm happy, social and well liked, so no understands it's the alcohol that does that. I've already told my friends I'm going to end up in rehab by 25 and they tell me to slow down, but they don't know I can't.

I grew up poor, have no money, no health insurance and don't know how I'd get help. I've read free alcohol rehab in Maine (where I live), don't do much or anything to help the withdrawal symptoms, so I wouldn't go.

I'm going to tell my parent's about my problem and get help. I'm generally a happy person, but alcohol is destroying me. I want some advice about people who have been where I am, what is alcohol rehab like, are there free options, how many people come out and drink again, etc? Any advice would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found lasting sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. I knew I was a hopeless drunk at 20 as well.

All the best.

bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How do you deal with the withdrawal? I have to go to rehab to quit, it's just that simple.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man 24 years without a drink, congrats.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

In many cases, withdrawal needs to be treated under medical supervision, typically by introducing Librium, which helps control seizures, allows for decent sleep and reduces shaking. This is most often done in detox facilities, many of which will accept people with no insurance.

Rehab is basically for people who no longer experience withdrawal symptoms, or are at the tail end of withdrawals. Do some research on local detox facilities since the symptoms you describe are considered to be severe.

Also, I can't tell you how many people I've met in AA in their 40s, 50s and 60s who've commented to newly-sober young people that they so much wished they would have gotten sober when they were younger. We can get many things back when we get sober; time isn't one of them.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

James, I was 22 when I got here and could have earned my seat at 16.

Just to let you know it can be done, I came here through rehab and AA and haven't found it necessary to pick up a drink since November, 1981.

Withdrawal can be tough but it doesn't last forever. Talk to your doctor. Go to an AA meeting and let people know you're new. You really don't have to drink anymore.

-allan
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you not withdrawal without the right drugs? How do you even get to rehab with the drugs? I'm going to get drunk before I withdrawal. I pretty much sleep from 4 AM to 1-4 PM everyday and then repeat. I went to community college for the last year and half and have done well, even while drinking every night and even in my classes this past semester. I'm only 20, so I'd have one of my friends who's 21, have him buy me a half gallon of vodka and literally start drinking. I still got a 3.0 last semester and I was drunk in 70% of classes.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's really got bad since school ended, I realized I have a problem. I have no job, I just drink my self to sleep every night.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
How do you not withdrawal without the right drugs? How do you even get to rehab with the drugs? I'm going to get drunk before I withdrawal. I pretty much sleep from 4 AM to 1-4 PM everyday and then repeat. I went to community college for the last year and half and have done well, even while drinking every night and even in my classes this past semester. I'm only 20, so I'd have one of my friends who's 21, have him buy me a half gallon of vodka and literally start drinking. I still got a 3.0 last semester and I was drunk in 70% of classes.
Interesting. I did very well in college, all the while drinking as much as I could tolerate. I missed many of my classes. Here's my thing: I had no idea how much better I could have done, or how much better my life had been were I to have gotten sober during that time.

Three years into sobriety, I went to grad school and earned my PhD. It was only then I discovered how well I could do without drinking.

You're clearly under a lot of stress right now. People do go withdrawal without medication and without medical supervision. But alcohol withdrawal is extremely dangerous without it, particularly given the severity of your symptoms and drinking the amounts you did.

I can't tell you emphatically enough that you need to consult either a physician or medical detox to remain safe.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're clearly under a lot of stress right now. People do go withdrawal without medication and without medical supervision. But alcohol withdrawal is extremely dangerous without it, particularly given the severity of your symptoms and drinking the amounts you did.
That's the thing, the only stress I have is my alcohol problem. I worry about not having enough and having withdrawals which is leading to my stress.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't tell you emphatically enough that you need to consult either a physician or medical detox to remain safe.
Your completely right and I'm fed up to here with alcohol. I'm going to let my mom know tonight what's up and I need help. I've been telling her about my panic attacks, but she doesn't understand why I'm having them.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Your completely right and I'm fed up to here with alcohol. I'm going to let my mom know tonight what's up and I need help. I've been telling her about my panic attacks, but she doesn't understand why I'm having them.
Panic attacks are tricky. They can be caused by drinking large amounts of alcohol and by abstinence following heavy drinking.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Panic attacks are tricky. They can be caused by drinking large amounts of alcohol and by abstinence following heavy drinking.
Yeah they are. When I drink though, they go away and I'm happy.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If your Mom is a normal person certainly she wouldn't understand. nor does she have to for you to get sober.

Are you going to AA meetings there?

Bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If your Mom is a normal person certainly she wouldn't understand. nor does she have to for you to get sober.

Are you going to AA meetings there?

Bob R
My family is a line of heavy drinkers, she drinks daily. She just can handle it and be a normal member of society.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My family is a line of heavy drinkers, she drinks daily. She just can handle it and be a normal member of society.
There is a world of difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic.

A heavy drinker can put the drink down and walk away . Problem solved

An alcoholic, when he puts the drink down, his problems are just starting.

You are close to Portland, I bet there are a lot of meetings in your area.

The oldtimers at the meetings will be able to help.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My moms an alcoholic, she just can hold down a job and be a normal human while drinking. She going to understand, but yeah AA is going to happen.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My mom warned me about the history of alcoholics in my family and to just to drink a little to take off the edge.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome

I hope you find the support you need, and I hope talking to your mom goes well. Keep looking for what you need until you find it. Sobriety is so worth it.
Detox might be a good idea since it sounds like you get withdrawal symptoms. Detoxing can be dangerous without medical help.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome

I hope you find the support you need, and I hope talking to your mom goes well. Keep looking for what you need until you find it. Sobriety is so worth it.
Detox might be a good idea since it sounds like you get withdrawal symptoms. Detoxing can be dangerous without medical help.

Good luck to you!
I'm going to need detox to have any sort of chance of quitting. I'm going to get the help I need though, whatever I gotta do, I'm going to do.