Notices

I'm 20 and I'm an Alcholic

Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a question? Is rehab just a place you go to learn how to cope? Is there a detox/rehab combination? Where you get the drugs you need to not withdrawal and the rehab to help you stay sober?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I have a question? Is rehab just a place you go to learn how to cope? Is there a detox/rehab combination? Where you get the drugs you need to not withdrawal and the rehab to help you stay sober?
Rehabs typically help in learning to live a sober life. Hospital-based rehabs also monitor and treat mental health and medical issues. The combination detox/rehab exists in some places, but not all. You'll need to do some research on it.

The more you become involved in your own recovery, the better the outcome.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I talked with my mom and were going to get me some detox to help the withdrawals. Hopefully I can quit without rehab. I'm just afraid I'm not mentally tough enough to stay sober. My friends mom has been to rehab 3 or 4 times and is sober now, but always slips up.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I talked with my mom and were going to get me some detox to help the withdrawals. Hopefully I can quit without rehab. I'm just afraid I'm not mentally tough enough to stay sober. My friends mom has been to rehab 3 or 4 times and is sober now, but always slips up.
The good news is that you do not have to be tough to stay sober, I am about as tough as my avatar
You need to have a plan for recovery, stick to it and also accept that you are an alcoholic and it is what it is. Diabetics can't eat candies, we can't drink safely. It's all about acceptance and not picking up the first drink no matter what.
Definitely check out AA, it works for millions and you will get a lot of in person support. There are young people meetings too which will help you make new sober friends. Just because you quit drinking does not mean you can't have fun ever again.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Definitely check out AA, it works for millions and you will get a lot of in person support. There are young people meetings too which will help you make new sober friends. Just because you quit drinking does not mean you can't have fun ever again.
That's part of it. I can't picture sitting down on Sundays and watching football without drinking. I'm going to try my best to quit, but it's going to be a long road.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm another one who got sober with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous when I was 17 many years ago. I had a few involuntary chances to detox in my active years. Once in the nut house, another time in jail, and in detox. I tried controlled drinking/drugging and ended up just going cold turkey after my last drunk when I had enough.

Welcome!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGame

You were tough enough to survive as a daily drinker. Sobriety often asks of us that we be courageous; not at all a bad thing. Cravings, triggers and feelings that we're missing something often require a level of endurance and intestinal fortitude that we don't always know we have.

For now, you only need to allow others to nurse you through your withdrawal and to begin healing. When I first got sober, my sponsor recommended that I treat myself as someone recently discharged from the hospital following heart surgery. Later, you'll be able to learn to cooperate with your recovery.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I also would like to suggest local AA... Even though its scary and maybe what you read about it may not click right now, the people there WILL help you to get the help you need, not only with the program but with the more immediate need of getting you into a detox where you can safely do so. You will be amazed what a group of total strangers will do to help you help yourself.

It's not going to be easy... But it'll be the best thing you ever do! It was for me.

I wish I had gone to AA first, my first detox attempt was in a psych ward and was very awful. The folks in AA know all the local facilities around you.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Do an internet search, Maine has many free/reduced/sliding scale places that can help you out

I wish you all the best on your sober journey!!

Love & hugs,
~SB
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Bostonsportsfan!

It takes courage to admit we have a problem and reach out for help and you did that today. Glad you're here - this place made all the difference for me.... I just couldn't do it on my own.

I hope things go well as you figure out a plan for detox. This looks like a good website you might want to check out (government-sponsored site)...

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/samhs/osa/help/directory.pdf
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I wish I had believed I was an alcoholic at 20 years of age. Please give up the booze at your age, save yourself a lot of misery and money. It just gets worse the longer you drink. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone who has actually cared about a total stranger on the internet. I'm going to either go somewhere for detox or see if I can at home with the right drugs. I think I'll need to go away so if things go bad I have the help I need. I hope tonight is the last night I ever drink alcohol. Both my parents were very support and want me to get help. Both my parent's want to quit now, my mom might go to detox with me. Truly a great day and I thank you guys for that. I hope a year from now I'm the guy who's making the thread saying 1 year sober!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
EndGame

Both my parents were very support and want me to get help. Both my parent's want to quit now, my mom might go to detox with me. Truly a great day and I thank you guys for that. I hope a year from now I'm the guy who's making the thread saying 1 year sober!!!
It sometimes amazes me how all this works. Speaking up to your parents got their attention and helped your mother to acknowledge her own struggles.

Never minimize the power of support. The support you've gotten here is what we do for each other to stay sober. You never have to be alone again. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I second rehab I am 24 years old just out of college and coming to terms that I have a drinking and substance abuse problem. Tomorrow I'm going to rehab to see if I can be admitted to their day program. Not all rehabs make you stay over night you could qualify for intensive outpatient where you spend so many hours a day being treated, but are allowed to go home at night.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I second rehab I am 24 years old just out of college and coming to terms that I have a drinking and substance abuse problem. Tomorrow I'm going to rehab to see if I can be admitted to their day program. Not all rehabs make you stay over night you could qualify for intensive outpatient where you spend so many hours a day being treated, but are allowed to go home at night.
Sounds like a nice deal. Get the help you need and come home and sleep at your own house.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It sometimes amazes me how all this works. Speaking up to your parents got their attention and helped your mother to acknowledge her own struggles.

Never minimize the power of support. The support you've gotten here is what we do for each other to stay sober. You never have to be alone again. It's a beautiful thing.
It's just really hard to admit you have a problem. I'm a proud person, so today was tough, but you need support going through something like this. I guess my dad went through detox once and has had panic attacks and my mom understands what alcohol can do to you. They realize I'm only 20 and this isn't a huge problem if I want to quit drinking.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey James I just would say that after detox try A.A for sure because it has got me to 33 days sober from being a daily drinker as well. I'm 22 so I know what its like to be a so young and have to deal with this non sense. Good luck to you though!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I went to the doctors today and tried to see if I could get prescribed something to help the withdrawals, but they didn't think it was a good idea and I shouldn't withdrawal without medical attention. I'm going to check out some detox places that are free or really cheap tomorrow and start detox.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Has anyone been to a free detox clinic? Are they horrible. I can't picture something that's free would be high quality.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
EndGame

Has anyone been to a free detox clinic? Are they horrible. I can't picture something that's free would be high quality.
Maybe so, but never as bad as more alcohol at any price.

Though I doubt it's unheard of, it's rare to find a detox that's a chamber of horrors for patients. Most detoxes are regulated by state agencies, and can easily forfeit government funding if they don't meet a set of criteria.

Wherever you go, you'll find people in better condition than you are, and many more who seem worse off. In New York City, virtually all detoxes are hospital-based, which makes shopping easier. Most of them will take patients who can't pay or who don't have insurance if they're in bad shape, and then later write them off. It's standard procedure in most hospitals.

If you don't like the place, you can always leave AMA.