Notices

I'm 20 and I'm an Alcholic

Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I talked with my mom and were going to get me some detox to help the withdrawals. Hopefully I can quit without rehab. I'm just afraid I'm not mentally tough enough to stay sober. My friends mom has been to rehab 3 or 4 times and is sober now, but always slips up.
Hi. I'm not saying your not however I and most people who get and stay sober started that path with being honest with THEMSELVES. The first few weeks can be a good "remember when" meaning if we don't pick up that first drink we don't have to get sober AGAIN! Rehabs are good but remember this is a course for long term recovery which can be had at AA meetingS next to free, not just a few. It's work that gets easier with time because all the toxic things that we ingested don't have a auto repair button we can press. BE WELL
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say good luck with everything. You are never too young to get a life worth living and to me that's what sobriety is You could see if there are any 'young people in AA' meetings in your area or try alternatives like SMART if you find AA isn't for you. There is lots of support out there so don't give up if the first thing you try doesn't suit you.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey Boston hows it going ? Have you got any help yet ?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm going to check out the detox clinic today so will see what happens.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Great !

I'm going to check out the detox clinic today so will see what happens.

Please let us know how it goes Good Luck !
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Please let us know how it goes Good Luck !
Well the one I went to today didn't think I was an inpatient and should try quitting being an out patient. There are other free detox in the area so I'm going to check them out. Until then though I haven't quit alcohol.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

^Wise move. If you are alcohol dependent don't even think about quitting without the supervision of a doctor. I hope the other free detoxes are helpful. If they say no to being an inpatient don't let that get you down. Lots of people are successful detoxing at home with medication and using AA or other support groups.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

^Wise move. If you are alcohol dependent don't even think about quitting without the supervision of a doctor. I hope the other free detoxes are helpful. If they say no to being an inpatient don't let that get you down. Lots of people are successful detoxing at home with medication and using AA or other support groups.
Yeah I understand how dangerous it can be. That's why I'm not going to quit unless it's in detox. No out patient BS, I need detox and hopefully I'll start tomorrow. I mean hell even if it's another week of drinking before I find the right place to get help, it's still moving forward.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Lots of people are successful detoxing at home with medication and using AA or other support groups.
I mean I'm fine with any form of detoxing, but I need a prescription. I can't go cold turkey and just AA or other support. I'm going to find what's right for me.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Has anyone been to a free detox clinic? Are they horrible. I can't picture something that's free would be high quality.
I have and I was just grateful that I was getting medications and that the nightmare would be over.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
EndGame

Well the one I went to today didn't think I was an inpatient and should try quitting being an out patient. There are other free detox in the area so I'm going to check them out. Until then though I haven't quit alcohol.
This is not something I recommend lightly, but it's worked for two guys I got into detox on two different occasions in New York City.

Many detoxes will not admit you if you seem physically okay. In NY, they'll often tell you that you need to be drunk to be admitted. This information typically comes with a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" from the admitting nurse. In both cases, a sober friend and I bought a bottle for someone we knew who desperately needed detox, drove them to the detox, and sat in the parking lot while they finished what so far has been their last drink. In each case, they were told if they showed up under the influence, they'd admit them. This is common practice in New York.

If you choose to take this course, don't even dare attempt it without someone you trust driving you to the detox. And then back home if you're not admitted.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey and welcome
you are certainly in the right place..and kudos for admittin. your problem. we are here for you
stick around..its good here
Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm turning twenty in July and am 2 months sober and was just as bad as you a few months ago man. For the last year , I've been in a cycle of 30 days off and then an insane 10 day binge consisting of a bottle of vodka a day. My WDs were brutal too, got auditory hallucinations at one point as a result of withdrawal and sleep deprivation. But trust me, knock this on the head now and you can look forward to a longer, happier future without alcohol my friend. I needed Librium to get through withdrawal as, although I wasn't in seizure or dt territory, the panic attacks were gettin worse and without the meds I would've carried on drinking. Get some help withdrawing and then give yourself 30 days sober. Don't promise yourself you,l never drink again at this stage, it's too early - just shoot for 30 days and I assure you u will feel so much better. As ur young there shouldn't be too much permanent damage but get ur liver looked at as that can be an incentive to get sober. I was told if I carried on repeatedly binging I could end up with acute hepatitis and even cirrhosis within 3 years so that was enough to kick my ass into action. I had LFTs recently and they came back normal but ONLY cos I had stopped drinking.

Good luck , it's nice to hear other people of my age acknowledging they have a problem and doing something aout it. Don't feel alone cos youre young. There are PLENTY of other young people in the same boat as us pal.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey buddy, hope you're well.

I'm 21 and I totally know how you feel man. Fortunately, when I quit my hardcore drinking at first, I was able to, or stupid enough, not entirely sure which one, to detox at home.

I'm a week sober now and it feels great, the panic and anxiety that I thought I controlled by drinking have lessened so much.

I wish you all the best and good luck in your search for a detox clinic. All the best, stay in touch with this forum, and God speed!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Haven't found the right place yet, but I'm looking around. I feel like with the right meds I could detox at home, but I'm willing to do either. It might take me a week or so to find the right place, but it's moving in the right direction.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Haven't found the right place yet, but I'm looking around. I feel like with the right meds I could detox at home, but I'm willing to do either. It might take me a week or so to find the right place, but it's moving in the right direction.
Keep going Boston, how's the search for Detox going? Be sure to keep us updated

All the best
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Keep going Boston, how's the search for Detox going? Be sure to keep us updated

All the best
Still trying to find the right treatment. Since I don't have any health insurance or money it's hard to find the right place. Free detox places have a lot of people who want to go.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Still searching, but I figured it would take a week or so to find the right treatment. It's just a low feeling to have to have your mom buy you beer every night just so you don't withdrawal. She thinks I can ween myself off alcohol slowly, if we couldn't find the right treatment. Has anyone done that? Slowly cut back the amount you drink until your not addicted anymore?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
EndGame

Still searching, but I figured it would take a week or so to find the right treatment. It's just a low feeling to have to have your mom buy you beer every night just so you don't withdrawal. She thinks I can ween myself off alcohol slowly, if we couldn't find the right treatment. Has anyone done that? Slowly cut back the amount you drink until your not addicted anymore?
What you're suggesting is possible and has been done often. The only way to find out is to try it.

But I'm more concerned with what may be procrastinating on your part. The longer you take your time in shopping for the perfect solution, the more you continue to damage yourself and your opportunities to get sober.

I don't like the expression, but it may be time for you to just do it.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
An alcoholic, when he puts the drink down, his problems are just starting.
Perhaps this happens with some alcoholics but I haven't found this to be the case at all.