Notices

Under 30? I would love to here your story

Old 05-18-2004, 12:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Fletch,

Whoa i was ready to respond to this thread, but then, it seemed to quickly get into some ******** and some nice people who don't qualify for the age thing.

I din't belong to aa or any group. Im 26. Lucked out i guess in not getting into reallly bad stuff cause of my addiction. But i ran away from home at 16 etc lol.....I somehow was lucky. Didnt do really bad stuff. My closest friends were all a lot older, and they protected me from doing really bad sh*t. Only because they'd already done it--and so knew.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hey Marty

I can relate to your story so well. Your doing the right thing. Good luck, god bless and keep going to meetings. If AA doesnt work try NA it works better for me I like the fellowship itself better too, and alcohol is a drug. Youll be in my prayers Love Jolene
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm 27 so I just fit in.

I started drinking when I was 18. I remember back to the very first time I had a drink, at my schools final party, formal, prom. Someone got me a vodka and oj and I loved it. I couldn't taste the alcohol in it and downed one after another. I love the feeling it was giving me. I felt so relaxed, happy and felt like I could talk to anyone. ( I was the *shy* girl in highschool ). I thought to myself I have finally found the secret to feeling confident and happy. I ended up drinking WAY to much and spent most of that night and the next day in the toilet :dead1: . I hated the way the alcohol made me feel so sick so I gave up on the idea. I probably didn't drink for a few weeks after that but the next time I did I downed a bottle of wine and again felt great the time, socialable and happy. Same thing happened, spent the night in the toilet. After these two incidents I travelled overseas for a year to travel abroad and work. My drinking became a regular occourance during that time. I drank every weekend to excess but I never drank alone, it was always with friends. Over the next few years my drinking continued along the sameway. I would only drink on the weekends with friends but looking back I realise it was a problem back then because whilst my friends always knew when I stop I didn't and would always be the *drunk* one who ended up in the bathroom.

I travelled to the US when I was 23 to do au pairing for a year and found the social life over there to be fantastic! I loved it, and was drinking every weekend there as well. One thing I began to notice is that I was starting to become tolerate to the alcohol and was no longer getting hangovers. I thought this was great! It was when I was in the US that I started to drink during the week. After a long day with the kids I would feel really stressed and liked nothing better than a few drinks. So this is when I began to drink alone in my bedroom. To cut a long story short I used any excuse to have a drink. Favourite tv show on? Have a drink! Fav movie on? Have a drink, and so on and so on.

I came back from the US a year later and my drinking continued like that till about a year ago. Slowely I began to drink more and more during the week till I was drinking every night. I started to realise that I have a problem and need to do something about it. I went to a few AA meetings, didn't feel they were right for me. I would stop drinking for a week and then find myself back to my old bad habbits. Finally I started developing physical problems, like I would wake up feeling really shaky, my heart beat would be beating REALLY fast. I knew this was not right. I finally developed a serious stomach ulcer and this hit home. I realised that it was a direct result of my drinking and knew I had to stop. I was put on meds for the ulcer and was told that I was not allowed to drink whilst on the meds so that was a good head start. That first few days was hell, but after about a week I started to feel great. I have now been sober for 19 days and am feeling wonderful. The depression and sucidal thoughts I was starting to get are gone and I feel really engergised and happy. I plan on going to AA meetings again because this time I am serious, I do NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT HELL AGAIN.

Whilst I have never had a dui, never been to jail, never lost a job from the alcohol I know that it was only a matter of time. I'm glad I stopped drinking before any of that happened. I'm glad I finally have my life back.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Jolene! I really need all the prayers I can get.

Natsa, great share!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
learning to walk

Well, I guess I'll tell mine, too. Even though it's so anti-drug commercial-ish it almost seems funny ... jesus. How crazy.

Ok, so I had my first drink at 16, rather late, I know ... and my first hit of marijuana at age 17. For the first couple of years I drank a lot, by myself included ... then I started smoking a lot of pot, with others and alone, then I met some people who did a lot of coke, and so I started doing it with them (and then a lot alone), then I sought out (note I say "sought out" because it was my decision) heroin, and I became a junkie. Yes, sounds like a bad ad for parents being more involved in their kids' lives. I know.

But I was only a junkie for two months. So really, it wasn't that bad. And yes, I also did a lot of pills and stuff before that. Some of which I bought at an Arby's drive-through.

But you know what? I've never been arrested, never had a DUI, never even had a speeding ticket, although once I was pulled over for drag racing a cab driver and I had to go to traffic school for careless driving.

That's me pretty much, in skeleton form.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Paused

Originally Posted by Fletch
Im not trying to exclude or be an ass or anything. I just havent heard any stories or experiences from people around my age.

Hey, I'm not under 30, but I got sober in my early 20's. Does that count?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Fletch, I am 25 I started drinking at 16, by the time I was 17 I was drinking almost everynight. Pot at 18, drinking every night as well by this time. At 22 or so I started drinking during the day as well, at 23 I was blacking out twice aday or more on booze, by this time I was into cocaine, pot, shrooms, and X as well. After two DUI's more probation and tether than I care to remember I was still drinking. One morning I woke up and had to be rushed to the hosptial, I either had a panic attack or a seizure ( still dont know for sure). Later that day I was in my own living room and realized that I did not know where I was (trust me it was scary as hell!!!). THAT NIGHT I went to the bar ALONE and had two beers and one shot of vodka, thought about what I was doing and havent drank sinse than. If you are curious about some of the things I am going through becasue of of use of alcohol and drugs I have a post called looking for answers. Maybe u can relate?

regars

steve
Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

SIGH!!!..I should realy learn how to spell lol