Notices

Upset and disturbed by meeting

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Upset and disturbed by meeting

I don't know if this is slightly off-topic, but here goes.
I stopped smoking two weeks ago with the help of an electronic cigarette. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, this is a fake cigarette which blows water vapour, not smoke. They have some nicotine in them, but no other toxic chemicals. It's been a breakthrough for me.

However, at the end of tonight's meeting, an old-timer who I know very well asked me for a word. He actually took me by the hand, and led me, like a little girl, out of the room and along the corridor, out of everyone's earshot.
He then proceeded to lecture me on using my Ecigarette during the meeting. He said it was 'completely unacceptable'.

I was taken off guard, so I just said sorry, and that I wouldn't do it again.
Later however, I felt upset and angry. Upset because I would never do anything to offend anyone, and this man should know this.
And angry because I felt humiliated and bewildered.

I repeat, Ecigarettes are harmless. The 'smoke' is vapour. That's the genius of them, so what objection could there be.
I'd be very interested to hear what smokers and non-smokers feel about this? Would you feel an aversion to someone using one of these gadgets in a meeting.
( I should add that I did say during my share that it wasn't a real cigarette).

Last edited by Sally1009; 11-28-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Id be surprised if someone got angry with me for that. Ive seen people use their e cigs in bars, malls, etc. It isnt dangerous to others....so i dont understand what the problem is. Here where I live they are completely legal to use indoors anywhere. Not many people know what they are, but they are legal and harmless nonetheless.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have an e-cig. I think people think it is disrespectful. Try not to let it bother you, and just don't smoke it in the meeting.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What if there was no "ammo" in it? Same, what the hell does it matter that you have something? I say bring it empty next time, pretent you are using it. Then when he says something he will look like an idiot.

I'm a rebel and don't like authority except with my boss, because he pays my bills.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Here where I live they are completely legal to use indoors anywhere. Not many people know what they are, but they are legal and harmless nonetheless.
This may be part of the problem. AA meetings are held in facilities where they are expected to comply with all the laws and rules of the parent facility. If someone were to report that an AA member was seen smoking inside the building, it would be difficult for for the Group Conscious members to prove that it was not tobacco. Church's have thrown AA meetings out for far less infractions of the rules.

My guess is, if you were caught smoking these psuedo-cigarettes anywhere else where "NO SMOKING" signs were present, you would have a hard time convincing those in charge that it was legal. Even if they did know it was legal, they might be upset anyway.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sally, that is sad I am around all sorts of people & situations all day & I can't imagine what could be found offensive about the e-cig. In fact, I'm happy when I see someone doing what it takes to quit their addictions.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I have seen those devices and think they are a clever idea. I hope it helps you to quit smoking!

I personally would not be offended if I saw someone using such a device. What offends me, personally, as a non-smoker, is SMOKE, not water vapor.

At the same time, I could see where someone else might be offended by it...even though it's fake, it LOOKS real...and perhaps could be triggering to someone? In a way, it could be seen as akin to someone drinking water out of a vodka bottle at a meeting. Not real, but still not something anyone would do.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I’m an ex-smoker. I smoked around so many others, for so many years, that I made a promise to myself (which I have never broken) that I would never complain if others smoked near me.

That being said, it is also my personal policy to take people at their word. If someone tells me they are offended, I treat it as the truth, and act accordingly. The person may have no idea what you were ingesting and that it was harmless to them. Their feeling offended was still REAL. Whether they were correct or not in their assumptions is immaterial. The guy probably just looked a bit silly to anyone who knew the truth of it.

It was a good opportunity to practice tolerance.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

My friends have a no smoking home. They smoked years ago and are now a long-time AA and Al Anon. They have a butt can outside their garage for anyone who chooses to smoke. At one of their friendly gatherings, a woman was smoking an e-cig in their home.......she hadn't asked if anyone minded.....it did NOT smell good......it wasn't a smoke-filled cigarette, but still........

Thank goodness this man took you aside and let you know that it was unacceptable. He could have called you out in front of everyone.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

im sure nobody would be happy with someone drinkin an NA beer at a meeting.
was it a no smoking meeting?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you have a valid point Boleo. They are legal, but hardly anyone knows what they are and that they are harmless. Many may see it as disrespectful or confusing.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Confusing maybe, if it is not made clear that these are fame cigarettes. But why disrespectful? Ecigarette are odourless, and as they do not contain smoke, they don't cause the problems of second-hand smoke.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The real point, even though you were pulled aside and corrected. It was done in a matter that was embarrassing and unacceptable. He should have been more discreet. The old saying "praise in public, correct in private" is a good one.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There are a lot of things that are harmless and legal but that are still disrespectful. If you played with a rubics cube or sat chomping on popcorn both would be legal and harmless but show a lack of respect for the people speaking.

Why not just leave the ecigarette in your pocket till after the meeting?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hmm, tricky subject. I personally could care less. I smoked for a long time and just recently quit smoking again...An e-cig would definitely not bug me. I don't think it was his place to say anything, personally. He probably just didn't know the deal with the thing, or maybe saw it as a distraction from the meeting. It IS a distraction, as most people are used to people NOT smoking indoors...seeing someone, even puffing water vapor, is guaranteed to turn some heads.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just to clarify....i myself wouldnt find it disrespecful, but others might. Who knows what goes on in other people's heads
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If its a non smoking meeting, I think it's disrespectful to sit there with an e cig blowing rings of water vapor that look like smoke, from a device that looks like a cigarette.
You are looking for a fight, and I think you are trying to make a little exception for yourself on a technicality.
Just can the e-cig for an hour. it would annoy me too.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a buddy that smokes them and they do have a weird odor, btw.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

it kinda really sounds like a 4th step resentment to be worked on with a sponsor followed by more steps....5 through 11 and add some 12 in there......

the results may surprise you!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I vape. Have been vaping for a year now. Sorry, although the guy was a patronizing jerk about it, I agree with him. I never vape in places that smoking is not acceptable. Period. People just don't understand that it is water vapor. And if I am in someone's home, I ask them if it is okay before I vape in front of them.