Notices

Upset and disturbed by meeting

Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

There could be another possibility. The E-cigarrete sometimes looks like a drug pipe & may trigger those in the room who use to use drugs also.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post

I smoked my share of grass (and probably a few other people's as well), and for me watching someone rolling cigs reminds me of the free bag of Roll Rich they gave you in your "welcome home" package going into prison.... or reminds me of rolling out of what I picked out of snipes in an ashtray.

At the end of the day I needed to grow a pair of stones and realize that the rest of the universe wasn't going to quit drinking or getting high, or doing things that reminded me of getting high (which was just about everything from getting out of bed in the morning on) just on accout of I couldn't do the stuff anymore.
You are correct. We do have to deal with the rest of the world. But a meeting is not the streets. It's is a place for tolerance and compassion and understanding. There are very few other places anywhere that know what we have been through, and it's the last place you need another trigger.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
There could be another possibility. The E-cigarrete sometimes looks like a drug pipe & may trigger those in the room who use to use drugs also.
That's a good point. My elderly neighbor thought I was a drug addict. She looked out the window saw me walking down the street vaping She thought I was using drugs.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Ah yes. I've only just learned about that type. Apparently there is a whole 'vaping' culture with people using all sorts of gadgets. My ecigarette is quite simple - it looks like a normal cigarette, except for the tips (cartridges) which screw on, and come in many different colours, to match the different flavours.
I have taken all your opinions on board however, and appreciate more now how distracting using Ecigarettes might be, so, I simply don't do it any more in meetings.
I'm very grateful for these cigarette substitutes however. It's now been 18 days since I last smoked. I feel healthier, have saved a fortune, and don't miss smoking at all.
I suppose I just wanted to celebrate that, and pass on the message to other struggling smokers that here is an amazing way to quit, at least for me.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

"Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinions on outside issues..."

That's right...I said it...

LOL
Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Good point, Zube...is the AA name being drawn into public controversy here?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Good point, Zube...is the AA name being drawn into public controversy here?
welp, the OP was talkin about an event at a meeting, so IMO it isnt a public controversy. if a person wants to use the ecig outside a meeting, have at it. if it is inside a meeting, a no smoking meeting, then i think it would be a 4th tradition thing. that plus tradition 2. would a loving God want people in a meeting doing something that could cause anothers thinking to get squirly and bring up thoughts of smokin dope and drinkin goebels?
we should also put the well being of others ahead of our own personality.

when i got sober, there were a few smokers meetings around. then laws changed and no smokin in mnany of them places. it bothered me at first. until standing outside a meeting one night and i brought it up and another smoker said, "i guess you havent decided to go to any lengths."
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Lol I always enjoy your posts, tomsteve.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Next time somebody upsets you, don't stew about it. Just punch them in the nose. Or don't, it doesn't really matter.

The only thing that matters is that you don't take a drink.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and I don't think it's disrespectful. But it's new, unfamiliar, somewhat distracting, and I can see others not being comfortable with it. Given that, I can understand the guy having a talk with you. I do however think he was completely out of line with what he said. It is NOT completely unacceptable. It makes him uncomfortable, and possibly others. I think he should have presented it as such, and maybe suggested you stop. Unfortunately people don't always act as they should, or as I believe they should , and stuff like this happens. Probably best to just not do it anymore there. And maybe express your feelings about it, and that you were unaware that it would make anybody uncomfortable.

You can also bring it up at a business meeting, and suggest that they be allowed. A group conscience woud be the ultimate authority.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
You are correct. We do have to deal with the rest of the world. But a meeting is not the streets. It's is a place for tolerance and compassion and understanding. There are very few other places anywhere that know what we have been through, and it's the last place you need another trigger.
IMHO "trigger" is a very weak excuse. First year or so I wanted to use something every minute of every day and then dreamed about it most nights. Waking up (trigger because I used to do soemthing to get out of bed). Going to work (used to get high with the boss then drink at lunch and after work with him), going to the bathroom (on the toilet is a good place to get high), eating (need to smoke some herbal appetite stimulator).

I've seen people drinking in meetings, seen people go into the bathroom (presumeably to shoot up) come out and barf all over themselves and pass out, and all other manner of shannanigans. Making my sobriety conditional on someone elses behavior would not have been a helpful tool for me.

Meetings are where you find people who wore out their welcome in seedy bars and crack houses. When I expect people in AA/NA meeting to behave as though they were in church I set myself up for massive disappointments.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

If it,s a non_smoking meeting best to not use the e-cigarette.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have pretty much seen everything happen at AA meetings. From begging, flirting, yelling, pushing ect.... However, the worst was going to a mid day meeting & the chairperson was clearly visibly intoxicated. It was sad but was a good reminder of the insanity of alcoholism. He broke down towards the end of the meeting & admitted (like we didn't know) having relapsed.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Since I've come into the program I've found people offended alot of things that they are no longer offended by.

Thirty-four years ago I witnessed an emergency group conscious meeting about whether or not to allow someone in who was ordered by the courts. They decided to allow that person in but they weren't signing anything. Other groups decided that they weren't allowed at their meetings - period. It hit close to home because I was that person.

Since then I've watched as people were made uncomfortable by openly gay couples, dual addicted people, interracial couples and yes, those darn ecig smokers.

Their discomfort is their own problem and perhaps having to face such frustration will allow them to find something to work on. I do not go out of my way to make people uncomfortable but as my sponsor taught me - no one can make me feel anything; my feelings are my responsibility.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

IMHO "trigger" is a very weak excuse. First year or so I wanted to use something every minute of every day and then dreamed about it most nights. Waking up (trigger because I used to do soemthing to get out of bed). Going to work (used to get high with the boss then drink at lunch and after work with him), going to the bathroom (on the toilet is a good place to get high), eating (need to smoke some herbal appetite stimulator).

I've seen people drinking in meetings, seen people go into the bathroom (presumeably to shoot up) come out and barf all over themselves and pass out, and all other manner of shannanigans. Making my sobriety conditional on someone elses behavior would not have been a helpful tool for me.

Meetings are where you find people who wore out their welcome in seedy bars and crack houses. When I expect people in AA/NA meeting to behave as though they were in church I set myself up for massive disappointments.
Triggers are all external factors and external factors cannot be influential to one's ultimately successful sobriety. Sobriety is an internal mindset.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

I smoked my share of grass (and probably a few other people's as well), and for me watching someone rolling cigs reminds me of the free bag of Roll Rich they gave you in your "welcome home" package going into prison.... or reminds me of rolling out of what I picked out of snipes in an ashtray.

At the end of the day I needed to grow a pair of stones and realize that the rest of the universe wasn't going to quit drinking or getting high, or doing things that reminded me of getting high (which was just about everything from getting out of bed in the morning on) just on accout of I couldn't do the stuff anymore.
As it has been said, our meetings are not a random street corner. Approved or not, that was some of my personal experience of how I felt as a newcomer. Do I feel the same way today myself? Thank goodness no, I would say as a direct result of the gifts of the program and a Power greater than myself. But I sure do put empathetic thought and consideration into the experience and environment being provided to newcomers at the meetings I attend. I don't expect newcomers to come in with the tools we usually acquire through the program and over time. But those newcomers sure are an important part of why I'm there.

You're right, there is a lesson to learn about the world not revolving around ourselves. As such, I've had to learn that there are appropriate considerations to have in my words and behaviors because it's not all about me. Speaking for myself, other things I wouldn't do in meetings includes giving myself a pedicure, catching up on a bit of ironing, you know, things that could come off as inappropriate, distracting or disrespectful.

And to one who might think it nutso to suggest that smoking e-cigarettes isn't appropriate in non-smoking environments, why not find out what happens if you light up your e-cigarettes on the airplane, or in school, or in a museum...like it or not, just doesn't go over well. It's not all down to some "alcoholic pansy-assing."

If you want to see what it really looks like, a video: e-Cigarette - Electronic Cigarettes - YouTube

Anyway, none of this is really that important. I think the OP has come to a fine conclusion and it's all worked out. Sounds like good news to me, best wishes going forward.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
"Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinions on outside issues..."
True, but the Group Conscious has a responsibility to uphold the rules of the parent facility hosting the meeting (church, hospital, library, etc...).
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

You can also be a sober bartender.
To quote the comedian Chris Rock, just because something CAN be done that don't make it a good ****** idea.

So, did I miss something? When AA talks about people, places, and things, their own meetings have an exemption?